Is 'whilst' the most overused word in these forums?

1234568»

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    What grammar nazis seem to forget is that our current language and grammar which they are hell-bent on protecting and correcting are actually the product of certain expressions and grammar rules gradually falling out of use after being replaced by "faulty" grammar and spelling. The rules of a language are defined by how it's used. Those common mistakes can someday become the rule, not to mention that some of the rules grammar nazis seem to rigidly love are not as rigid as they imagine them to be.

As long as I understand what is being said I really don't care how it's being said.

Ah yes, languages are living things. They evolve. The meanings of words sometimes even change over time. It's fascinating stuff. I always mean to study it more in depth.
    If you haven't read it, Bill Bryson's 'Mother Tongue' is an entertaining and educational history of the English language. The chapter on swearing is gold.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    What grammar nazis seem to forget is that our current language and grammar which they are hell-bent on protecting and correcting are actually the product of certain expressions and grammar rules gradually falling out of use after being replaced by "faulty" grammar and spelling. The rules of a language are defined by how it's used. Those common mistakes can someday become the rule, not to mention that some of the rules grammar nazis seem to rigidly love are not as rigid as they imagine them to be.

As long as I understand what is being said I really don't care how it's being said.

Ah yes, languages are living things. They evolve. The meanings of words sometimes even change over time. It's fascinating stuff. I always mean to study it more in depth.
    If you haven't read it, Bill Bryson's 'Mother Tongue' is an entertaining and educational history of the English language. The chapter on swearing is gold.

Thanks for the rec... I'm going to add it to my wish list now and put it on my next Amazon order.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    'Clean' 'Paleo' '5x5' (though not a word really) 'macro' etc.
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Nope, I think it's people wanting to "loose" weight :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    hotnumber wrote: »
    Nope, I think it's people wanting to "loose" weight :)

'your' funny

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2015
    Am I weird that I've never seen a word that bothered me?

I hate the word weetabix.

Say it over and over in your head a few times, it burrows into your brain and makes you feel a little crazy.

Perhaps it's just me...

Yeah, that one bugs me too. It's called weetbix here. Not sure why they added the letter a??

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So let me clarify... The correct use of the English language annoys people that aren't actually English?

Mind... Blown.

@NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner laughsssss

and it's a very rare Brit that would misspell "Lose" IMO (... oo you didn't .. yup I did)

Then again I have found myself starting to use the word "awesome" .. seriously need my butt slapped ... OMG american again .. it's catching

"Awesome" is my nine-year-old nephew's favorite word. Fortunately, he also uses it to describe me :smile: