Want to Run!

mrsfabbanks
mrsfabbanks Posts: 49 Member
I really want to run! Lol. I've started jogging a little on the treadmill but I'm not sure when I'll be able to actually run. Right now I'm ofcourse still very much so overweight and I fear others judging me as everything jiggles or even worst falling(I'm super clumsy). Any advice guys ? How did you get back out there while at your larger weight?

Pw:320
Cw:299
Gw:190 (maybe 160 will see when I get there

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited June 2015
    S***w what anyone else thinks. You're doing this for you. If you want to do it, just do it! Some people will judge you, while others who have been there (like me) will be giving you a silent high five as they pass by.

You may need to ease your way into it, to reduce the pounding on your knees. You might consider walking at first, or look into the various C25K (couch to 5k) programs.

Remember, you may be going slowly, but you're still going way faster than the person sitting at home on the couch.

Best of luck!

ETA - I walked my way to fitness for my first 6 months, increasing distance and pace over time. I couldn't get back into running, due to knee problems, so I jumped onto the elliptical machine instead.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    I would worry about injury at this stage. Why don't you walk really fast at first?
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    When I first started running I was able to run down to my corner (I'm the second house from the corner), then I could get up to getting a little around the corner, then down to the first utility pole, and etc. and etc. until one day I ran a half mile and eventually a full mile and then more and more ..... until I got injured 2x and took time off and now I'm building it all back up again with the half-marathon as my goal.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Start off walking, and let the running come naturally. It helped me when I started running to set small goals at first. "I'm gonna start running at this light pole and run to the next one." Then walk till you recover, pick another goal, and run to it. Don't be in a big hurry to run full out. Until your body is ready, that's a good way to injure yourself. Most importantly, have fun with it!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Keep running. You'll just get better as you go along. To avoid injury or overdoing it, have a look at the running programs such as C25K.
    Don't worry about speed. The slower, the better right now. I've been running for just over 2 years now and I'm still slow. It doesn't matter. What matters is that you do this, if its what you want.

Way to go!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Everything is going to jiggle when you run unless you're a walking skeleton. I jiggle at less than half your weight. :smile: I also agree not to worry about what anyone else is thinking. Most people aren't going to think anything beyond "Way to go!". In my 4 years of running around my neighborhood I've had two people actually say anything. They were "You're making me look bad" and "Boy, you run fast!" (For the record, I don't). Most people just wave usually because I wave first.

If you want to run, a Couch to 5K (C25K) program is the best way to start. Given that your weight is still pretty high, you'll want to be especially careful to get fitted for good shoes to help support your joints properly. A really good sports bra will be very helpful, too. With this type of program you're going to start out running really slowly. No, slower than that. Really. You should be able to carry on a conversation with an imaginary (or real) running partner so you won't be running until you're out of breath.

If you'd rather start out just walking for awhile you can still turn it into an interval program. Walk as fast as you can for one minute and then walk more slowly for one minute, and repeat. Increase the fast walking intervals each week while leaving the walking interval at one minute. Eventually, you'll reach the point where you can fast walk for a long distance. Once you feel you're ready to run then run!
  • poorbikrchick
    poorbikrchick Posts: 18 Member
    Whenever I see someone out running (or jogging, or walking), I mentally give them a high five. What matters most is that they are out there doing it.

Don't be afraid to do intervals. Walk then jog, and repeat as many times as needed to get to your goal. And invest in good running shoes and a good sports bra. Probably better than you think you need. It is worth it.

Good luck!!
  • Xanna89
    Xanna89 Posts: 31 Member
    Just run. Run as much as you can. If that's only 5 seconds then. 5 seconds it is. Just keep trying to go longer everytime you work out.
  • clariseburner
    clariseburner Posts: 8 Member
    Every little bit counts. It all adds up. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. Remember you are doing this for you. Best of luck fellow beginning runner.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Everyone has to start somewhere, even if it's only for a minute. Run for one, walk for two, etc and build it up. Good luck
  • Swiftkidd
    Swiftkidd Posts: 3 Member
    Hey you shouldn't fear being judged by others as typically it reveals more about them as an individual and their personality / character traits then it does you. I find smart phone application like MapMyFitness to be an effective way to record the duration, distance, pace, route, and calories burned per session providing insight and analytical information enabling to gauge my progress.. Jump rope is low impact cardiovascular exercise which can help build endurance for your running
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    If you're uncomfortable, consider running on your local high school track.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited June 2015
    When I see anyone running I want to high five them! The only people that will smirk or talk are a-holes. They probably are self-conscience them self and the ones that usually voice their opinion. Everyone else (majority) are silently cheering you on. My friend is a beanpole and she still jiggles a little when she runs, everyone does.
  • mrsfabbanks
    mrsfabbanks Posts: 49 Member
    You guys rock! Thanks so much for the helpful advice! I've already begin pushing myself to do the interval walking/running so far just on the treadmill. Now I need to hunt down that good sports bra
  • Traceygrrl
    Traceygrrl Posts: 1 Member
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Keep running. You'll just get better as you go along. To avoid injury or overdoing it, have a look at the running programs such as C25K.
    Don't worry about speed. The slower, the better right now. I've been running for just over 2 years now and I'm still slow. It doesn't matter. What matters is that you do this, if its what you want.

Way to go!

I was going to suggest C25K. Used it, and now onto the 10K version. I like it since I set the speed, and take it outside or on the treadmill. You can also look at Running Room for free beginners clinics, and you're with people who are just starting out too.

• jimmy_jama
    jimmy_jama Posts: 6 Member
    My advice is to walk/run and do a session three times before upping it. For example if you did 2 minutes run, 3 minutes walk * 6 (so half an hour) do that session 3 times then do 3 minutes run, 3 minutes walk * 5. I remember when I started running a few years back I thought I'd die after 1 minute of running. I've now run a marathon, multiple half marathons, and 10Ks. Running is now part of my life that I won't ever want to give up.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Personally I find it inspiring whenever people make a positive change. If you run into negative people use that energy to motivate yourself and forget them. Interval training is fantastic - run when you can, walk when you have to.

As someone who also let themselves go and with a prior knee injury I use the elliptical and stair stepper to build up the muscles supporting the knee and reduce impact.

Congrats on your loss! Keep it up!
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Girl, Kill it!! I am a big girl and I run. Yep, I cant run for long but I do little challenges for myself to get longer paces. I have to pace my running with my breathing and practice my stride. I have arthritis in my legs and a torn ligament in my ankle. I know my limits and listen to my body as my dr has advised me. You will know when that moment hits you to run. Don't worry about others around you, everyone is working on their own personal issues just like us!
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    When i first started, i was running from one light pole to the next, then just kept going further and further every time. 3 years later and I"m running 10+ miles at a time and loving every minute of it. You can do this! Just get out there
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    I was out on my walk the other afternoon, and saw a *really* heavy woman on a bike headed towards me on the path. You could tell the effort was difficult for her, as she was out of breath. When our eyes met, I could see she felt uncomfortable and embarrassed. Maybe this was her first attempt, or maybe she'd been doing it just long enough to have encountered the unkindness of strangers. I gave her a big smile and a "You GO, girl!" and her entire demeanor changed. So although she shouldn't have given a *kitten* about what I thought or said, she clearly did.

The point (and I do have one!) is although it really doesn't matter what you look like while you're exercising, in reality, it's not always that easy to rise above. <3