Jumpin' Jack June!

13»

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,891 Member
    Sorry to hear you are going through so much Zoot.

Seems to be a busy and eventful June for the ETL group. I just got home from the office and need to do a few things around here, back to the office tomorrow. I keep saying I'm not going to work both days on the weekend, but I'm really behind and not much choice.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I feel for you Zoot; we are just starting to go through this with my mom. None of us can agree on what to do. It's so hard. Try to take care of yourself amid the stress.
    Except for a dental procedure coming up (which I try not to think about -- ugh!), life is good right now.
    I'm wishing everyone a peaceful Sunday and Father's Day. Our dinner guests could not make it for dinner so hubby and I are going to the movies tomorrow, first time in about 2 months, date night!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    So even though my eating hasn't been great, this time I'm not going to slink away from the group and end up getting even worse, lol. I've been stress eating something fierce while I wait for my test results, and it probably won't get a whole lot better until I know for sure what's happening. Hopefully I will get some news this week, though the doctor did say they will likely want a biopsy in addition to the CT scan and PFT. Rather than go back on the wine and chocolate diet, I have ordered some vegan delivery for the upcoming week so at least i don't have to worry about shopping and cooking.

On a happier note, I managed to hit some pads with my husband yesterday and it went better than I expected. Obviously my cardio and endurance were terrible, but my technique is still there, and I hit almost as hard as ever :smiley: . I am thinking about taking up jiu-jitsu during my Muay Thai hiatus because the cardio is less demanding, and then if I wanted I could try MMA if my lungs ever recover. That's something ladies in their mid-forties do, right? :tongue:

Hope everyone is having a good Fathers' day and gearing up for a great week!

• whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Just checking in with a quick hello. My strength training class is done, so now I'm going to try to do the 100 push-up challenge and maybe the 30 day shred until I wait for my Terrafit challenge to begin (starts July 6). Gotta get on the treadmill every morning, too - will start that tomorrow.

This morning I still got up early, but I had to go to the hardware store and put in a giant order. My dad and I are going to build a treehouse and deck for my kiddos. They're gonna love it. :smiley: And that's another activity that will hopefully give me some more upper body strength this summer!!

Gotta run - I hope you all have a wonderful day!
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    I finally found this site again... Lisa, I plugged in my numbers in the BMI calculator and it wasn't pretty... more motivation! So nice to see everyone here and some new faces! Weddings can be so stressful! Zoot, thinking of you during this time in your and your parent's life. I just lost my dad to heart attack last fall. Trying to figure out whether to keep the house or not - I grew up in NM so I would like to keep the house, but it does take $$ for the upkeep and renovations that need to be done, but at least it is a paid for house. Looking forward to my spinning class, makes me feel better when I have accomplished that class. Still trying to get a hold of my diet and eat better for my health! Taking Vitamin K2 that my mom gave me - I was already looking into it...

Take care everyone - make it a great day! Don't work too hard Mihani!
  • Mihani
    I have to go clear back to the beginning to catch up here, but I have some time this evening. Worked all weekend as usual, and tonight I am on strike! Secretary returned from vacation so at least I got out somewhat on time today.

Lia, the wine shower sounds like so much fun! I have to keep that in mind. Hope your stress level isn’t too crazy. The day with your mom and sister sounds lovely.

Karrie, the treehouse sounds like such a fun project! I was having the same problem as your niece with my hands. I would drop things constantly, like I couldn’t even feel that I was gripping them. The braces definitely seem to be helping. How goes reducing carbs? As usual, your workouts are amazing!

Laura, did you hear anything about the new job? That is so cool you enjoy teaching. I don’t really have the patience for it. Sometimes I do, depends on who I’m teaching, but usually I start getting impatient.

Jean, are things settling down for you at all? I hope you are sleeping better. Are the inside renovations all done and now just working on the outside?

Zoot, how are your blood levels doing? I hope you get your dad settled and things get less stressful for you and your family.

Coues, I love the pictures of the dishes you come up with. I use recipes a lot, but I’m also a very intuitive cook and come up with some great stuff. Problem is I rarely remember what I throw in there so things are never exactly the same next time I throw stuff together.

Peas, I should check into physical therapy. The doctor had mentioned cortisone shots as well. I opted to try the braces first and see where that goes. They do seem to be helping. I also really got out of hand when I tried to follow the IIFYM guidelines, I wasn’t getting as much nutrient dense food and I was more hungry, and I’d use the extra calories for things that triggered my starch cravings, and it was a total fail. Those cravings are insane sometimes, and if I’m fatigued (which I often am) then I have little to no resistance. I’ve found that hanging out here, even when I’m off the rails, keeps me somewhat grounded in reality about food and diet, and everyone inspires and encourages me. So definitely don’t slink away, you have lots of company in your struggles!

Lisa, what movie did you go see? Your consistency in living ETL is my goal.
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Holy smokes! There is no way I am catching up at this point! Last month of our fiscal year here at work. Only 7 days until I kind of get my sanity back. June is always a month that I kind of go underground and hide until the 4th of July and this year is no different. It has been more challenging with a variety of other things happening at work. I think the last time I was on here I was talking about another potential job in my company. Unfortunately it fell through, which, was very disappointing. I have heard speculation from others that it was likely my current management blocking my departure, which, is immensely frustrating. I would say my food this month has been about 50/50 - some good, some bad. This is pretty standard this time of year. I have been trying to be more active to help offset it, but, needless to say the scale has been stuck. Hoping next month I will be on a better track.

Anyhow, gotta get back to it. I had a moment to breathe and wanted to pop by and say I am still here! Hope everyone is well.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Hi you guys!!!!!!! How is everyone? Ahh I am sorry I haven't caught up either. It's so nice to see and hear from everyone though. Hope everyone is enjoying their June at least. I'm ready for the wedding and just want it to be here!! Work feels like such a nuisance lol, which is bad because it's busy. Back to it, but wanted to say hi and that I read everyone's updates and nice that we are sharing in the busy-ness together. Hope everyone can enjoy a minute or two of sunshine this week - it seems to help!
  • Mihani
    Fly by hi! Work is still super busy but I'm slowly but surely slogging through the backlog. I don't know how things get so piled up.
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    I just want to check in quickly to say that I'm going to be going out to the lake right away to build a treehouse at the cabin - I will be doing some workouts and I'll be trying to get rid of my starchy carbs. But I won't be checking in for a good 2 weeks, maybe even more. I'll have to catch up when we get back!!!

In the meantime, I wish you all a fantastic summer!!
  • Mihani
    Have fun Karrie!
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    edited June 2015
    Have a great two weeks Karrie!!! That sounds like so much fun. Send some treehouse pics when you're back!

I am also coming by to say I will probably not be around much til mid-July! Wedding is on Saturday (it's supposed to rain now, unfortunately), then family day on Sunday, and off to Hawaii on Monday morning!

Hope you guys have a great weekend and you all get some time to relax, especially you Mihani!

<3<3<3
  • Mihani
    The past couple months have gone fast, Lia! I hope you have a wonderful wedding day and honeymoon.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,301 Member
    Hi everyone, I am so far behind! Mihani, I think my sugars are okay but I have not tested with all of the stress. Bad decision I know but I am distracted to the maximum. It has been craaaazy trying to deal with all of the parental care stuff for my dad. We finally had to admit him to a nursing home this week and didn't like the only one that had a bed so we spent time running hither and yon finding a better one and it looks like we did. Waiting on confirmation. My parents have to pay $5,500 a month and don't have the money for it. A friend kept saying to set up a Gofundme page which I don't like doing because we pay our way in our family but out of desperation I have set up a page to prevent the loss of their house that my mother still needs to live in. She has enough in savings to get him started but it won't last long at all. I am going to start job hunting as soon as possible to help pay for it plus start selling off things in their house, etc...to raise money. All of this is so sudden and everything is so complicated! We are going to start selling some of our own personal belongings as well. If any of you have any other ideas for raising funds, please suggest them! All I want is for them to be able to spend time together without worrying about paying for things or losing their home. Despite my dad being a career veteran, the VA home has a long waiting list and still is not free plus is a 40 mile drive away.

Be aware that you are absolutely on your own to pay for anything like this in the future. If you want to protect your children's inheritances or avoid losing your own home, get informed and take action early. You can get long term care insurance which is expensive and not available if you wait too long. Medicare won't pay for a dime. You have to pay 100% out of pocket or go on Medicaid and they quickly eat up your entire estate that you worked your whole life to accumulate. There is a 5-year "look back" where any gifts, loans, money from selling real estate, etc... are considered part of the estate and the loans/gifts become due in full immediately to the estate or you are assessed a stiff penalty. They assume you are hiding assets. My parents didn't know all of that and didn't get things out of their names and into ours to preserve the money and any inheritances so this is what we are facing now. The government evaluates all that you have and then starts subtracting the care costs from that until the person dies by "loaning" you the expenses while you receive care by paying the bills up front. They come after your home's value by placing a lien which becomes due in full when you sell the house (or when the surviving spouse dies if you file a Division of Assets form ), whole life insurance (they leave you $1,500.00 per policy), savings and checking accounts and certain personal belongings (you can keep one car) until you have nothing left then they pay for your care if you are still alive. This then repeats for your remaining parent or spouse. You pay taxes all your life and this is what they do. It is really just another estate tax in the form of a "sickness" tax.
    All I am asking is if all of you would just share it around, please.
    http://www.gofundme.com/xg8g85n2g#
    Thank you <3
  • Mihani
    Zoot, sorry to hear you had to put your dad in a home. I hope the place you found is good and he's comfortable there.

I took today off, was supposed to be going to a party but I got lazy and didn't go but I'm just happy that I got a day off. Tomorrow it is back to the office and if I hadn't been planning on going to the party I would have gone in today, so that worked out either way.

Lia, I am thinking of you today!! I hope the rain held off for you, and that everything goes beautifully. Can't wait for pics.

I am continuing to slowly but surely lose the weight I had put back on, I've settled into a routine of 5 days very very strict and a couple days of caution to the wind, but overall I'm creating a deficit and I find it is so much easier to stick to the strict when I know I am going to get to indulge. So basically I'm doing smoothies with vegan protein powder, raw fruit and veggies, keeping my calories very low, probably around 800, for 5 days. Then I have a couple days where I eat whatever I want and allow alcohol, and it seems I've finally created the calorie deficit I need to affect the scale. For a long time I've looked at my diet as pass/fail and if I "failed" then I would just continue along my merry over calorie way. This way I am "allowed" my over calorie days and I don't get into that weird mindset. My off days aren't crazy calorie fests, mostly just that I'm avoiding starchy carbs completely 5 days a week, and then I indulge my starchy carb cravings 2 days, so I get to have rice, bread, pasta on those days. Seems like a lot of us here on ETL have problems with starchy carbs and cravings.

Hope y'all are having a good weekend! June is almost over. Good grief, where does the time go?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I got a call from the doctor saying that on closer inspection (CT vs X-ray), the module in my lung does NOT look cancerous. I can't even express how relieved I am. Based on the location and the rate of growth (tripled in 6 months) I was sure it was lung cancer, which still has a sub 20% 5 year survival rate.

Funny how finding out you aren't actually dying makes pretty much everything else seem easy. I probably will have to take prednisone for at least 6 months, and more likely a year, but there's a good chance that after that I will recover almost all my lung function (minus the permanent scarring) and I'll be able to start building my strength back up
  • Mihani
    I got a call from the doctor saying that on closer inspection (CT vs X-ray), the module in my lung does NOT look cancerous. I can't even express how relieved I am.

6c7nrcphqx3f.jpg
  • Mihani
    Couple 12 hour days in a row at work, tired and grumpy! Anybody have inspiration for a July thread title? If nobody jumps in with something by tomorrow morning I'll come up with something. I think, after one more marathon weekend in the office, that things will get back to somewhat normal. I sure hope so or I'm going to be looking for another job. I can't keep this up, getting too old for this crap and it's not good for me. On the other hand I bought some lottery tickets on the way home tonight so I could just get rich and retire tomorrow. haha!