Pronunciations of different words

aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
edited June 2015 in Chit-Chat
data: day-ta / dah-ta
route: root / rowt
syrup: see-rup / serr-up

How do you say different things? I say day-ta, root, see-rup (not stressed like that, but definitely not serrrrup lol). What other words do you say that you find weird when someone else says it differently?

Replies

• BaconBae
    BaconBae Posts: 4,568 Member
    i find it quite weird (and irritating) when people say "idea-r". It's IDEA. There's no R.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    anybody who ever eats a peecan is just weird...if I pissed in a can, I ain't eating that.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    _John_ wrote: »
    anybody who ever eats a peecan is just weird...if I pissed in a can, I ain't eating that.

pronounced peh-khan
  • _John_
    ind1983 wrote: »
    i find it quite weird (and irritating) when people say "idea-r". It's IDEA. There's no R.

you should axe them why they say that...

• _John_

pronounced peh-khan

"pray lean" also bugs the crap outta me.
  • BaconBae
    also when people say "Roo-sevelt" - It's pronounced "Ro-se-velt", like rose not roose.
  • _John_
    Bastrop TX vs. Bastrop LA...
  • aippolito1
    haha! Yes to gif/jif. I always hated "warsh" lol and "illinoise"...
  • Carpedieznutz
    Carpedieznutz Posts: 1,166 Member
    I seem to hear this one a lot, but Pill-Oh and Pell-Oh (pillow)
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member

I've never heard this. I live right outside of Boston, though; we have no words that end in "R".
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited July 2015
    I find it fascinating that many pronunciations are regional. For example, Boston may use butt-ah on toast, while everyone else, at least as far as I know, prefers but-ter.
  • BaconBae
    undergloom wrote: »

I've never heard this. I live right outside of Boston, though; we have no words that end in "R".

Haha!

Here's another:
    "San-wich" instead of "SanDwich" - you can't just go around axing letters from words
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    My husband eats squaRsh and waRshes the car, but learned about George Washington in school. So if he can say the wash in Washington, why does he waRsh the car??
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

pronounced peh-khan

"pray lean" also bugs the crap outta me.
    Would you say peecan and pray lean drive you nuts then?

• Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    I'll leave this quiz here. This thread is reminding me of it! It was based on linguistic research or something along those lines. It's fun to look through all the other options... Definitely never heard some of them before!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Regional dialects fascinate it! It really is interesting to hear the differences across the globe.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    I'll leave this quiz here. This thread is reminding me of it! It was based on linguistic research or something along those lines. It's fun to look through all the other options... Definitely never heard some of them before!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

I just took the quiz, it was spot on, gave my exact city!
  • aippolito1
    Yeah, different accents make things interesting. But also words like "pruh-fer-uh-bly" vs. "preh-frib-ly" (preferably). I work in a call center and we have a script so it's interesting to hear how everyone says certain words. Or applicable. Some say "uh-plick-uh-bull". I say "app-lick-uh-bull".
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    That quiz was crazy accurate!