Sore Calves...take a break or continue to run?

Options
I just started biking to work (1 mile each way) but I also run 2 miles in the morning. After today my calves are sore! Would it be better for me to take a break or run tomorrow morning?

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Sore is normal, pain is not. If it's just soreness, then stretch it out, foam roll, and stretch some more. If it's pain, take a break.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • kwoolfwpfd
    kwoolfwpfd Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If it's extremely painful take a break and try some other activities to supplement it. Seriously being in pain and still working out can cause muscle and tissue damage. Some good low impact cardio like swimming can help your body heal and still get a workout in. Just listen to your body and remember that you don't have to hit it hard everyday recovery is just as important! Hope this helps!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Well your just starting out, the soreness is normal. Make sure your getting rest at night and eating enough carbs/protein to recover. Drink plenty of water too..
  • bigorangemichael
    bigorangemichael Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps my soreness from running and/or spinning is swimming. It's a great time of year for getting in a few laps at an outdoor pool. :)