How do other working mom's do it...find time?

Replies

• jess_9981
    jess_9981 Posts: 42 Member
    Yes, I really need to work out early to knock it out.........with her waking up at 1, 3 and then 4:30 for her feeding.........I want my sleep.

Turn it around girl, turn it around...........Is what I gotta tell myself.
    cathipa wrote: »
    Its tough, but I just have to workout before work. 5am comes early, but once its over I feel so much better physically and mentally. Just remember weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Focus on sticking to your calorie daily goals and you will still lose even if you cant get a workout in every day.

• jess_9981
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    jess_9981 wrote: »
    I don't put him to help out as much, but he does from time to time. Guess, I better have him help out more.
    Thank you! :smile:

CSARdiver wrote: »
    My wife and I trade off mornings and nights. She gets up at 4 to do TRX and goes to work from 7-3:30. I have the morning routine with the kids and work 8-5, then I workout after and get home around 7-8. She picks up the kids after work and we take care of business (swimming, gymnastics, etc.), then we team up getting them ready for bed.

Our kids are 7, 5, and 1. The older kids are now taking care of themselves for the most part (we trust but verify) and have chores to help out. We just increased responsibilities for the older kids and have them helping out more every month. You have a 9 year old - how are they helping out?
    Men love to be the hero, so set this up for success. Give him a situation he can complete and problem solve, but as in all cases - you can either ask that something gets done, or you can decide how it gets done - you don't get to do both.

Best of luck to you!

POWERFUL............THANK YOU and best to you as well!

• Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    I'm a single dad to a 5 year old, and I have him 90% of the time. I just understand there really are enough hours in the day to train hard, and eat healthy. If it takes an hour to work out, that is just one hour I can take away from browsing the internet, or watching Netflix.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Its not easy- working single mom with three kids here! But I had to realize you make time for what you want. Squeeze it in wherever you can! You can do it!
  • InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    I am assuming you are just watching at the swim lessons. I know when my sons were little league age. I always took walks around the park while they practiced. Our sons are 16 months apart and the only way it can be done is a husband that does it all right along side of you. My motto from the start was "I didn't get pregnant myself, marry myself or buy a house myself...I sure am not taking care of any of them myself!" haha.

Empower non-traditional roles and your sweet little family will flourish and you will both be better parents and spouses for it! Good Luck! :)
  • jess_9981
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    My daily schedule(M-F)

4:30 a.m. - 5:00 a.m. Feed baby
    5:00 a.m. - 5:30 a.m. Get hubby's lunch ready(heat up,coffee,etc.)
    5:30 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. Shower, get last min. things ready(try to do the day before), get dressed, etc.
    7:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. - Drop kids off with sitter
    8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - While I'm at work, I try to do lil walks. I walk up/down stairs for 10 mins. during lunch break, or take a walk....only got 30 mins. I can't always be away from my desk, so I wait til lunch.
    4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. - Pick up kids
    5:50 p.m. - 6:50 p.m. - Swimming lessons - will finish soon
    6:50 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. - Head home
    7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. - Cook, eat, bath lil one, clean, etc.
    8:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - Put kids to sleep
    9:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. - Try to get last min. stuff ready for next day
    10:00 p.m. - 4:30 a.m. - Try to get some sleep

I'm not seeing where you husband is helping that much. I generally have all the morning duties so she can get to work early and take a long lunch to work out. She does most of the evenings duties so I can do something after work. We cook dinner on the weekends and reheat during the week.

Believe me, he helps.......Even with his help, it's hard.

My schedule is going to change after this week, since it is my son's last week of swimming lessons, until he starts up again in a few weeks...........looking forward to start exercising.

Planning, planning, planning, preparation, preparation, preparation...........I NEED TO DO!

Thanks!

• jess_9981
    blukitten wrote: »
    Its not easy- working single mom with three kids here! But I had to realize you make time for what you want. Squeeze it in wherever you can! You can do it!

Thank you......need the motivation!
  • jess_9981
    jajomo0118 wrote: »
    I am assuming you are just watching at the swim lessons. I know when my sons were little league age. I always took walks around the park while they practiced. Our sons are 16 months apart and the only way it can be done is a husband that does it all right along side of you. My motto from the start was "I didn't get pregnant myself, marry myself or buy a house myself...I sure am not taking care of any of them myself!" haha.

Empower non-traditional roles and your sweet little family will flourish and you will both be better parents and spouses for it! Good Luck! :)

Yes, I mentioned that in someone's post...........I guess I can walk around pool when he is at lessons.

Love your motto.......Thank you so, so, much!
  • LaurenxxNicole
    LaurenxxNicole Posts: 6 Member
    Hi! :) I have a 7 month old and work Mon-Fri 7:30-4:30 so I feel your pain. However, there are a lot of ways you can exercise WITH your baby. Go on YouTube/ Google and look up Mommy and baby workout videos. There are a ton of different exercises you can do. Your baby will love it too. Hope this helps! :)
  • desy617
    desy617 Posts: 60 Member
    Hello, my name is Jess. I'm looking for other working mom's so we can motivate each other. I'm struggling over here and I really want to lose around 15 lbs. by Sept./Oct. I have a 9 year old and a 5 month old. My husband helps out a lot at home, and I still find myself struggling to find time to exercise. MOM'S LET HELP EACH OTHER OUT!

I am a working mom with a 4yr old and a 6month old, and a 8-5 job, i find it easier if i get up at 5am to workout, when the kids are sleeping and it gives me a lot of energy for the day. try exercise in the living room every in the morning youtube videos, dvds
  • jess_9981
    I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old and work full time with a killer commute. Like a lot of the other moms, I exercise at work. But we have an onsite gym. The days that I can't get exercise at work I ask my husband to deal with bedtimes or I go right after the kids go to bed, which is usually around 9pm. Then I get my shower at night. Makes my morning run so much smoother.

Don't be afraid to ask your hubby for help. It never occurred to me after my 2nd that things would be exponentially harder. Things I handled fairly easily like lunch packing and meal preparation became sheer time consuming drudgery. I needed an assist and he was more than capable. Sometimes we don't give our men enough credit. They are stronger than we think they are.

You can also save a ton of time and screaming by ordering things online. Seriously, I order my groceries online and have them delivered. It runs me about $20 for that but that is an hour I get back that I can spend in the gym. I dont take kids to stores unless we have an immediate need.

For meals, the crockpot is your friend. Check out www.skinnytaste.com. I love her crockpot recipes and if they require the addition of a homemade sauce, I make that at night so I can just dump it in with the meat in the morning (or tell hubby to do so). Grilling is also a very fast meal prep method, leaves few dishes, and tends to be pretty healthy.

Feel free to add me. Most of my friends on here are moms too. We all have the same struggle.

I like to take showers in the morning, but I guess there are nights, I can take at night.

Taking kids to grocery shopping or any store.......is not fun.....LOL! I told him, he needs to try it. I go 95% of the time. He went this week and man, I was so relieved.

Thanks for the website, I will be checking it out soon.

• jess_9981
    Hi! :) I have a 7 month old and work Mon-Fri 7:30-4:30 so I feel your pain. However, there are a lot of ways you can exercise WITH your baby. Go on YouTube/ Google and look up Mommy and baby workout videos. There are a ton of different exercises you can do. Your baby will love it too. Hope this helps! :)

OMG..........YES! Will do! Thank you!
  • jess_9981
    desy617 wrote: »
    Hello, my name is Jess. I'm looking for other working mom's so we can motivate each other. I'm struggling over here and I really want to lose around 15 lbs. by Sept./Oct. I have a 9 year old and a 5 month old. My husband helps out a lot at home, and I still find myself struggling to find time to exercise. MOM'S LET HELP EACH OTHER OUT!

I am a working mom with a 4yr old and a 6month old, and a 8-5 job, i find it easier if i get up at 5am to workout, when the kids are sleeping and it gives me a lot of energy for the day. try exercise in the living room every in the morning youtube videos, dvds

Gotta get this butt up and get it done!

Before I had her, there were some mornings I used to exercise but now.......I'm like, I need my sleep because I know I don't get enough. I need to change that around...... #Iwillgetittogehter

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Remember you dont necessarily need to exercise to lose weight, though there are enormous benefits. I agree with the others as far as your husband helping more. I work full time and my husband was more of a stay at home parent. Let me tell you, being a stay at home parent is no easy task and just because you work full time does not give you the right to expect a full course dinner and then sit with your feet up. You continue to pitch in. (I'm not saying he does that...I have no idea, but he can certainly prepare his own lunch for the next day)
  • jess_9981
    Remember you dont necessarily need to exercise to lose weight, though there are enormous benefits. I agree with the others as far as your husband helping more. I work full time and my husband was more of a stay at home parent. Let me tell you, being a stay at home parent is no easy task and just because you work full time does not give you the right to expect a full course dinner and then sit with your feet up. You continue to pitch in. (I'm not saying he does that...I have no idea, but he can certainly prepare his own lunch for the next day)

I know I don't, but I think i would feel better about myself if I did......
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    My daily schedule(M-F)

5:30 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. Shower, get last min. things ready(try to do the day before), get dressed, etc.
    8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - While I'm at work, I try to do lil walks. I walk up/down stairs for 10 mins. during lunch break, or take a walk....only got 30 mins. I can't always be away from my desk, so I wait til lunch.

You're up for 3 hours in the morning to not do that much, sorry I don't understand why you're up for 3 hours? Why can't your husband sort his own lunch?

Why does it take 1 hour to put the kids to bed?

Swimming lessons every day? We used to go once a week.

You drop the kids at 7.30am and at work for 8am, but it then takes you an hour to pick them up? How does it take so much longer to pick them up but not drop them off?

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited July 2015
    My daily schedule(M-F)

seriously, the more i look at this the more i find trouble with that big block of time in the morning. i have a two year old, and i help all the time with feeding and staying awake, etc. got to share the load, no matter how varied my schedule is, and it can be very varied, with early mornings and late night.

you should be able to do at least a 60 minute workout in that 2 hour window.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    My daily schedule(M-F)

Have hubby take over the 8:30-9:00 routine. You do just the 9:30-10:00.

Work out at the swim lessons. I used to do that. Bring something with a workout video or use SWORKIT on your phone. SUPER effective, and honestly, it turns the WORST part of the day into the best. Other parents stare? Screw them.

A lot of your weight is going to depend on diet.

Anyway, your hubby is an adult and needs to do his own lunch, too.

That's 2 hours a day on week days--for workouts AND for relaxation. :) And for MORE SLEEP!!!!!

• MamaBirdBoss
    jemhh wrote: »
    Why is it taking an hour to get the kids into bed? Especially if that doesn't include bath time for the baby?

What are your husband's working hours and what is he doing during the evenings?

It takes an hour bc thats when I feed the baby(10-15), burp(another 15), etc., then im on my sons butt to have him shower and other stuff. My husband's hours vary.....he always help when he can.

Put your older one in the shower when you start to feed the baby. He should be out and physically in bed in under :30, and then you can read a story if hubby isn't there and flip out the lights and toss the lil one in bed immediately after.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    jajomo0118 wrote: »

Yes, I mentioned that in someone's post...........I guess I can walk around pool when he is at lessons.

Love your motto.......Thank you so, so, much!

No. You can do HIIT while he's taking lessons. "Walking around" won't burn much.