Middle age men inline skating why so wrong?

Replies

• DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Thank You all great replies. Gave me a good laugh. Ive been pricing up blades so could be hitting them streets real soon ;)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    Thank You all great replies. Gave me a good laugh. Ive been pricing up blades so could be hitting them streets real soon ;)

Yay!
  • DeeTee68
    Well I know its two months later but I went inline skating today with my daughter and had a absolute blast.
    I found a unused road that had been built for a business park that never got built and we had it all to ourselves.
    After 30 Mins though my legs and lower back were aching so had to call it a day. I never knew inline skating took so much effort. I used to ice skate but that was like 32 years ago. But I still haven't forgotten the technique and was blasting along :D
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    I tried roller blading back in my 20s and had to stop because my ankles kept getting so sore. Glad you had an awesome time! Especially nice that your daughter went with you.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Ha! Kids are funny. Ignore your daughter about skating.
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Are you not a grown adult male? Why do you care what people think? Put on some pink tights and go for it.

I have got black running tights would they be ok ? ;)

No don't do this

Oh sorry missed your update - awesome!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Did you not grow up with a sister? The #1 job responsibility of teenage girls is to act repulsed when their parents do anything other than blend in with the scenery.

I wouldn't walk next to mine in public for a couple of years
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    If you like it, it feels good and you want to do it go ahead. I have a friend that has done this since college and still does. it is a great way to burn major calories. your daughter might need some self esteem lessons...
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    I've been rollerblading since I was 10. I'm 33 now and would still do it if I could find a pair I like. I hate the plastic strap ones, I need full lace up with hard outer boot that got up past the ankle. My husband (who is 38) has 3 or 4 pairs and I don't like them. :P
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    I'm 47 year old female who roller skates round the park in Manchester UK . !! Who cares life's for living. :wink:
  • cth2020
    cth2020 Posts: 14 Member
    Right on!!! Go for it and embarrass the hell out of your kids!! It's one of my favourite pastimes. God love 'em they are so easy to embarrass.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Well I know its two months later but I went inline skating today with my daughter and had a absolute blast.
    I found a unused road that had been built for a business park that never got built and we had it all to ourselves.
    After 30 Mins though my legs and lower back were aching so had to call it a day. I never knew inline skating took so much effort. I used to ice skate but that was like 32 years ago. But I still haven't forgotten the technique and was blasting along :D

That's great! Glad you two had a good time.

It would not even occur to me that it would be odd for a person of any age to skate. Gonna bust mine out today. :)
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    cth2020 wrote: »
    Right on!!! Go for it and embarrass the hell out of your kids!! It's one of my favourite pastimes. God love 'em they are so easy to embarrass.

That's why we have kids! ! Just for these occasions. ..embarrass away! !!! :smile:
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Are you not a grown adult male? Why do you care what people think? Put on some pink tights and go for it.

So true. Git er done!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I don't think there's anything wrong with Inline Skating at any age as long as you are able to do it somewhere safe. At the park where I Inline Skate I sometimes see an older guy doing it too who looks to be about 70 or 80 years old. He doesn't go real fast but he looks like he enjoys doing it which is all that matters.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I love skating! I see absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever. It's an excellent form of exercise and it's fun! If you'll actually do it, and you have a good surface to skate on, go for it!!

I think very often in the media it is portrayed as a "hot girl" thing to do. Or this...
    Terry.gif
    (lol at terry from Reno 911)

But there's also people who are doing it seriously, who i don't think look off at all.
    During-the-Roller-Skating-XXX-contest-between-XXX-_53834132011574.jpg
    it's a legit sport.

Heck, i've seen men pull of kangoo jumps and those are the most ridiculous things ive ever seen.
    kangoo-jumps-7.jpg

My point is, firstly, WHO CARES! If you intend on doing it, and you WILL actually do it, who gives a rat's uncle's butt about what you look like? It's all about aproach. If i see someone working out hard and concentrated, it's pretty dang hard for me to judge them. ;)

Haters to the left!

xavier-bounce.gif?w=720
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Any thoughts on the matter folks ?

Dude, if you lived anywhere near me, you and I would be skating all over town! Rock on and more power to you if you decide to go for it! :love:
  • DeeTee68

Dude, if you lived anywhere near me, you and I would be skating all over town!

Im on my way over now, skates in hand :)
  • DeeTee68
    The trouble is where I live, Northumberland, England. I am the only middle age person who I have ever seen Inline skating. People don't realise what a great cardio workout it is and they are missing out big time.
  • Susueliza
    Susueliza Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    If you want to find some skating company and dont mind switching those inlines for quads, look up your local Roller Derby team. Even if you dont want to play or ref youll find a whole lot of people who skate 2-3 times a week and are really passionate about it :) they might also be able to recommend places to skate you havent found yet.

Of course, then it will be even more embarrasing for your daughter, or provide some really good sporting role models for her, depending on how you and she sees it!

Eta, Roller derby is seen as primarily for younger women, but in my league (uk, south west) we have both men and women, and some of us are certainly not in our 20s any more ;)
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member

Dude, if you lived anywhere near me, you and I would be skating all over town!

Im on my way over now, skates in hand :)

:love: