Do You Weigh Pre-Packaged Food, Like a Slice of Bread?

I have always weighed things like raw chicken, or honey, or peanut butter, etc. but I guess I haven't really thought about weighing things like a pre-sliced slice of bread, or bagel, or such.
Is this something that people weigh? I want to be as accurate as possible, and I have just recently thought that maybe I should be weighing those things as there likely is SOME discrepancy between what the package says it weighs and what it actually weighs.

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    I don't weigh things that are individually wrapped where I intend to eat the entire contents. Eg. chocolates (from share packs), yogurts, oat sachets. For me, bread is bad to generalise as you can have thick slices, sandwich slices, toast slices (at least where I live anyway).

In my opinion, if you are losing weight at a good rate and not weighing bread, it's probably not the end of the world. If you are wondering why you aren't loosing weight (or just simply want to weigh it), it's probably a good thing to do.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Yes.

You can take a few slices of bread from a loaf and weigh each one and find a significant variance. Sliced cheese or meats can vary a fair bit, too.

Some packaged foods are more variable than others, and sometimes it's just some testing to figure out what tends to vary a little or a lot.

Also, individually wrapped snacks. My Clif bar today was about 5 grams heavier than the serving size, for about a 30 calorie difference than labeled.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    No I don't, I accept the possible 20% out guideline

But if I stopped hitting my targets over time I would
  • Sued0nim
    I do however get a minor thrill when it comes to the end of the sliced loaf and I get to eat the crust for the same calorie logging

Note to self: get a life
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited July 2015
    Most pre-packaged foods I do not weigh. I mostly just weigh my meats and fruits, and measure out my veggies/sides/ingredients. I'm sure there are plenty of people here that do weigh everything, and may need to depending on each individuals caloric needs. If I do come across a plateau though, I would start being more strict with the weighing.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Yes, I've found huge variation in packaged foods, so I always weigh it. Once it was a difference of being 150 calories more than the stated serving would have been.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I do however get a minor thrill when it comes to the end of the sliced loaf and I get to eat the crust for the same calorie logging

you are not alone.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member

Hahaha me too.
  • onthemesa
    onthemesa Posts: 14 Member
    Only once, and it weighed far more than the listed info. Now every time I eat a sandwich I enter a world of denial.
    If my weight loss stalled I would become more strict.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    If you eat say 1 slice of bread every day, it'll all even out anyway.
  • YellowApple666
    YellowApple666 Posts: 35 Member
    No and I'm still losing. Not 100% accurate but I'm fine with it. As someone said, it will all even out anyway. I tend to get a bit obsessive about measuring and logging, so in my experience it's just additional stress.
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    If you eat say 1 slice of bread every day, it'll all even out anyway.

I eat 3 or 4 ..I'm all about the evening out

*double entendre totally meant*
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    No I don't, I accept the possible 20% out guideline

But if I stopped hitting my targets over time I would

Yeah, that.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    I weigh everything.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    I didn't, until yesterday.

I had a 60g chocolate bar and decided I was going to eat half of it. So I cut it in half. One half was a bit smaller than the other so I decided to weigh it so I could log it accurately... and the smaller half of my 60g bar weighed 37g. The larger half was 40g! So my 60g bar infact weighed 77g (79 extra calories).

I was in denial initially so weighed a 2kg dumbbell to check my scale was calibrated correctly and it was accurate to the gram.

I am going to weigh pretty much everything from now on.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have neither the time nor the motivation for weighing all prepackaged/premeasured food. As with others, I'm okay with the variance. When I was in my long-term weight loss period, I dropped 70+ lbs over the course of a year without weighing such things, so it never became something that concerned me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Bread, yes, because the bread I usually use is high calorie. Others, not so much, especially if they tend to come out at/just below the weights when I do weigh them (yogurt cups and tuna packets especially).
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    agree with @ariamythe who has time to do that?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    if you eat the whole loaf of bread, it's going to average out over the week
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    I tried for a while, but I'd find one slice of bread over and one under what the packaging said. As I'm the only person that eats the food I buy, it all averages out over time and I just don't care enough to become a person who's worried about one slice of bread being wrong.