The struggle with emotional eating

jmelucia0115
jmelucia0115 Posts: 22 Member
so, I am, like many, an emotional eater. Some say its when they are depressed, others when they are happy, but for me it is ALWAYS. I have learned that I emotional eat, always. It is always on my mind. It is attached to every event, every happiness, and celebration. It is attached to every family function, even the funerals.... its always there.

Replies

• Jad31te
    Jad31te Posts: 73 Member
    I know the feeling, eating was and has always been my way of dealing with anything.. From depression to happiness or celebration. Even when I am ill, I somehow get the feeling eating will make it feel better. I have to make a conscience effort every single day to recognize this issue and figure out what is actually triggering me, feel it!! then release the feeling. Walking helps me "alot" when this is happening. Clears my mind.

Dealing with and Healing your emotional health is just as important, if not more important.. as your physical health.
  • msfoxy_25
    msfoxy_25 Posts: 40 Member
    I can just have this and start over tomorrow.
    It will be the last time.
    I'll start over next week and enjoy the weekend
    I'll try again next month.
    Repeat
    repeat
    repeat
    Every minute
    Every hour
    Every day
  • Tiffany360
    Tiffany360 Posts: 11 Member
    So true for me as well. Because I think anger is a sign of weakness, I suppress any anger and eat my feelings inatead. I believe in "this too shall pass" however in the meantime I pick up 10 to 20 lbs in the passing time. I lost 40 lbs 3 years ago and put back on 25 of those lbs when I was laid off work. I loved the company I worked for, and couldn't feel bad for myself because I was thankful to enjoy a company and move up 3 times during my 7 years.

I enjoyed time off for 10 months, and kept off 30 lbs. Once I returned to work is when I put on the additional 15 lbs. The stresses of newness got to me. I look at pictures and get even more upset. I try to put on my old outfits and grow more frustrated.

I really want to get out of this cycle.

The struggle continues.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    msfoxy_25 wrote: »
    I can just have this and start over tomorrow.
    It will be the last time.
    I'll start over next week and enjoy the weekend
    I'll try again next month.
    Repeat
    repeat
    repeat
    Every minute
    Every hour
    Every day

I know this feeling well.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Don't give up, keep trying. Patience, so much patience with myself. I have changed, my eating is better than it has ever been in my entire life. Just for today.
  • VisionBoardCoach
    VisionBoardCoach Posts: 43 Member
    so, I am, like many, an emotional eater. Some say its when they are depressed, others when they are happy, but for me it is ALWAYS. I have learned that I emotional eat, always. It is always on my mind. It is attached to every event, every happiness, and celebration. It is attached to every family function, even the funerals.... its always there.

Yep...I'm an emotional eater. But it depends on the emotion. If I'm upset, then I can't eat at all.... if I'm bored or agitated....OH BOY...look out! I can eat anything and everything that's not nailed down. I actually took a picture of my vision board and stuck it on my fridge with a magnet so I would see it every time I went to the fridge and I wasn't actually hungry. I'm curious...What helps you resist the urge?
  • Dlane72
    Dlane72 Posts: 14 Member
    I've realized today that moments of disappointment are my weakness. Like today the scale went backwards and I seriously feel so sad, and then like eating everything in the house in a "why even try" fit. What a baby, going to do my best not to give in...maybe go clean out my closet instead and regroup.