Cardio is the devil

ebyla85
ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I hate cardio . I did 15 mins of cardio , And 45 Mins of weights . will I see any results even if I lowered my cardio. I guess I shall see . Lol

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Yes. Fitness is for exercise, calorie deficit for weightloss. So it is okay to cut most of your cardio.
    However, it is important not to skip your warming up before weight training though, so about 10 minutes (on stationary bike) should do.

Also, there is plenty of other cardio out there that is not a treadmill or eliptical. If you want some more cardio you can add walking/hiking, swimming, dance lessons, gym classes, jumping on a trampoline, etc.
  • RAFREGROB
    RAFREGROB Posts: 25 Member
    I despise cardio but it's a necessity for me. I just whack on some tunes and get it done.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    You dont have to do exercise for weight loss.
    Cardio is useful for heart lungs and endurance.
    Its also good for burning calories depending on how much you do. You have to do quite a bit though for significant burns.

If you hate it then maybe find a form of it you dont hate like swimming, walking a class or a sport.
    If you dont wnat to dop it then dont , many just do weights or no exercise. Imo your progress might be slower, but as you are only doing 15mins anyway then you wouldnt be burning much c100-150 calories about a packet of chips or half a small chocolate bar.

I quite like it and seeing my fitness improve. It cna be boring if in the gym, but music helps.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    I do cardio because I'd rather sweat it out a few times per week on the treadmill (in addition to strength training) and have a good looking body and a healthy heart and lungs than just look good and still keel over at 60.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    I do cardio because I'd rather sweat it out a few times per week on the treadmill (in addition to strength training) and have a good looking body and a healthy heart and lungs than just look good and still keel over at 60.

Ditto on that one.

• rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    There are necessary "evils" in life. I'm a believer if you tell yourself you "hate" it, then it makes the workout 100x harder and you lose motivation and focus to start and complete it. I think you'll find some reason to like it after a few weeks. Something that makes it more personal for you. I don't know where you're starting at with your fitness, but the day will come when you can do something cardio related just a little better than the day before. And it will trigger your motivation, realizing that those 15 minutes were worth it. Sure you can lower it. You'll likely see results if you stick to your weights. It will just be a different kind of results (like sacrificing some endurance building).
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    You know what else is the devil? The dentist. Blood work. Having to go to work to make money. I could go on and on.
    There are pros and cons of everything in life.

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member

Ditto on that one.

Yep. Exactly. People who do cardio are healthier in general, because they're conditioning their heart/lungs.
    E.g: Lowering your resting heart rate can be done with regular cardio.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    I hate cardio . I did 15 mins of cardio , And 45 Mins of weights . will I see any results even if I lowered my cardio. I guess I shall see . Lol

You don't have to do cardio if you don't want to or do not like it. A decent resistance training plan coupled with good diet will be enough for general health and looking good.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    And cardio helps fight depression and improves your moods. Maybe not while your doing it, if you're not enjoying it, but after you have done it for a while you will notice a difference. You just have to find something you enjoy. Go for a bike ride, hike some trails, kayaking, jump roping, dancing or swimming. Just put some music on and dance around the house while you, clean or cook dinner or get ready in the morning. There are many different things you can do to get your heart pumping.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    What people don't seem to realize is that lifting has cardiovascular benefits as well. You don't have to "do cardio" (as in running, dancing, HIIT, etc) in order to get your heart rate up. It's all about intensity.

But no, you don't need cardio in order to lose weight.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I think it bears keeping in mind that resistance (weight training) does have cardiovascular benefits much as cardio (or particularly weight bearing cardio) has benefits to improve bone density, muscle strength and so on (damn you hills...).

There is some degree of crossover between the two.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    What people don't seem to realize is that lifting has cardiovascular benefits as well. You don't have to "do cardio" (as in running, dancing, HIIT, etc) in order to get your heart rate up. It's all about intensity.

But no, you don't need cardio in order to lose weight.

I completely agree! By my third or fourth set, my heart rate is definitely up there.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    ebyla85 wrote: »

If you really feel that you need some cardio, try something different until you find a cardio you like. I walk and take a water aerobics class

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Here's the CDC guide lines, may not work for everyone, but they worked for me.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Plenty of other ways to get cardio that aren't even in the gym. Swimming, hiking(my favorite), playing sports of some kind. Find something that you enjoy or it's going to feel like a chore. Even just taking a brisk walk outside instead of the treadmill is much more enjoyable.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm not a huge fan- but it makes you a better athlete- 15 minutes 2x a week is more than adequate to check the box.

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited July 2015
    hmvanwink wrote: »
    And cardio helps fight depression and improves your moods. Maybe not while your doing it, if you're not enjoying it, but after you have done it for a while you will notice a difference. You just have to find something you enjoy. Go for a bike ride, hike some trails, kayaking, jump roping, dancing or swimming. Just put some music on and dance around the house while you, clean or cook dinner or get ready in the morning. There are many different things you can do to get your heart pumping.

Any strenuous exercise fights depression and improves your mood. It's from the increase in dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels. You get that effect from lifting heavy as well as intense cardio. That being said, I cardio for the health benefits. Being a smoker who is on and off the wagon a lot, I need all the edge I can get when it comes to cardiovascular health.

Also, while I find that lifting helps me more when it comes to weight loss/body recomp, I actually find that the effects of cardio benefit my day-to-day life more. You don't have to do a LOT, and there are hundreds of options to choose from, so I recommend to keep changing it up until you find something you don't hate. For me, it was the Zombies, Run! app. I hate pretty much all cardio machines and don't particularly like running either. But I can manage to get myself out for 30-60 minutes a few times a week if there are fake zombies involved.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member

Another ditto.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I'm just the opposite--I love cardio (running!) and see weight-lifting/resistance work as a necessary evil.