Worst fitness plans ever!

Replies

• KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    KCoolBeanz wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm actually going to defend this (maybe because I haven't had any coffee and I'm feeling totally weak), but for someone that is totally sedentary and has never gone to the gym, it might be a gentle way to show that anything is better than nothing? In reality, it's crap.
    True but was that not taught when we were all kids at some point in life?

Yeah, but having been in that boat of being severely overweight and absolutely terrified to go into a gym, rationality tends to take a backseat. Again, in reality, it's crap. And they certainly shouldn't be promoting that as a routine for people to follow, because it's not realistic for anything other than getting people in the door.
  • nora_gettingfitnow
    nora_gettingfitnow Posts: 108 Member
    I used to do the C2KK

Couch to Krispy Kreme

It did get me in shape.

A very round shape

:)

Too funny...love it
  • chismmegan
    chismmegan Posts: 45 Member
    This might have already been said, but..
    I go to Planet Fitness and it is definitely different than say Gold's. I find it very odd that they have a bucket of Tootsie Rolls on the front counter. It's annoying to have your water holder filled with candy trash. I also don't understand the free pizza or bagel mornings.

With that being said though, I find it to be a decent gym for me. This is the first gym I've ever been a member of. I only know what Gold's looks like because I took a tour. (VERY intimidating for me) I think it's a good enough gym for beginners but I do laugh at the PF jokes.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    chismmegan wrote: »
    This might have already been said, but..
    I go to Planet Fitness and it is definitely different than say Gold's. I find it very odd that they have a bucket of Tootsie Rolls on the front counter. It's annoying to have your water holder filled with candy trash. I also don't understand the free pizza or bagel mornings.

With that being said though, I find it to be a decent gym for me. This is the first gym I've ever been a member of. I only know what Gold's looks like because I took a tour. (VERY intimidating for me) I think it's a good enough gym for beginners but I do laugh at the PF jokes.

I think a lot of people leave other gyms for this reason, and have had some coworkers say how they're intimidated when they walk in a gym and 90% of clients look like they don't need to be there.
  • tinyc82
    tinyc82 Posts: 21 Member
    blaccoffee wrote: »
    Planet fitness has two types of customers; people that know nothing about lifting and nutrition but pretend they do and people that know about lifting and nutrition but want a cheap gym membership.

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    [
    It's Planet Fitness. That's reason enough for some to complain about pretty much anything they do. Even though it's now been pointed out to the OP that what they posted in their original post wasn't a full workout plan, but instead, suggested as an addition to an existing plan. But, it's Planet Fitness!

Again, no. There was ONE throwaway remark which suggested adding these "exercises" (if tanning and chair massage can be called such a thing) into one's regimen. That remark almost certainly came from whoever posted the graphic rather than the designer of these plans. EVERYWHERE ELSE, including within the graphics themselves, these are presented simply as plans that Planet Fitness encourages people to adopt.

Of course, when people think that tanning and chillaxing in a massage chair are worthy additions to an exercise regimen, they are unlikely to care about such distinctions.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    I am a PF member and when I first saw your post I couldn't see the PF logo on the bottom but I knew immediately that oh this must be a planet fitness thing ...SMH...I admit it I go because its cheap I do not partake in pizza night or tanning which I can't for the life of me understand why clubs offer this ...now for a lot of my friends who are inactive this is a plan that would be better than doing nothing I have my own trainer thank god
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    The first and last time I went to a planet fitness, people were eating their free pizza while walking on the treadmill.
    thats just plain dangerous you could slip and fall on a pepperoni lol

• spartan_d
    This is a joke, yes?

(We don't have planet fitness in the UK)
    This vid has an interview with one of their executives. It been posted before, but it's a pretty good introduction to their philosophy. http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I am a one month member at planet fitness and I don't see any of what people complain about here. I dead lift often. They do have a weight limit on it but fortunately I am not close to maximum. I have yet to see the lunk alarm go off although I am waiting for it. The pizza? Why is it a problem? It is once a month and the reward of pizza is enough to get my daughter running her butt off. A good thing. Tanning is crap but they have the red light therapy which cleared up a skin problem I had in a very short time. Hydromassage rules.

Very heavy people are so uncomfortable in a 'regular' gym, myself included.

I did have an employee say 'you are in here all the time " like it was a bad thing. That I didn't like. But I am in much better shape than I was.

Is is hokey? Yes. Are there fat people there? Yes. Does it work if you go? Yes.

The original workouts that are posted here are crazy stupid though.

What is the deadlift weight limit?

61cK0%2BhYLRL._SL1252_.jpg

Damn that cracked me up
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Yay, it's Saturday. Gotta go work out. Better check my fitness plan. Drive 20 minutes to Planet Fitness and sit in the massage chair for 10 minutes. My work here is done. Getting fit is easy at Planet Fitness!

puke-barf-ralf-baby-barf-meme-generator-excuse-me-while-i-barf-3eb166_zpsmd6iequ7.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edack72 wrote: »
    ...now for a lot of my friends who are inactive this is a plan that would be better than doing nothing...

I'm not so sure about that. I think it creates unrealistic expectations. People are going to think they will actually see results with this kind of workout. When they don't, they're going to get disillusioned and quit.

This might be good for getting someone who never leaves the house out into public more often, since you get to go to PF every day of the week...I guess there's that.

And someone who is extremely sedentary can benefit from getting themselves up and dressed, in and out of the car, also opening and closing doors, maybe a little bit of walking to and from the parking lot, sitting in the hydromassage and standing back up. I guess every little bit helps if you literally do nothing.

I get a better workout doing the dishes and cleaning the toilet at home. And I don't have to pay to do it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    edack72 wrote: »
    ...now for a lot of my friends who are inactive this is a plan that would be better than doing nothing...

I'm not so sure about that. I think it creates unrealistic expectations. People are going to think they will actually see results with this kind of workout. When they don't, they're going to get disillusioned and quit.

This might be good for getting someone who never leaves the house out into public more often, since you get to go to PF every day of the week...I guess there's that.

And someone who is extremely sedentary can benefit from getting themselves up and dressed, in and out of the car, also opening and closing doors, maybe a little bit of walking to and from the parking lot, sitting in the hydromassage and standing back up. I guess every little bit helps if you literally do nothing.

I get a better workout doing the dishes and cleaning the toilet at home. And I don't have to pay to do it.

Wouldn't be paying a whole lot to do it at planet fitness either. And using that particular argument, a lot of people prefer not to have any gym membership at all

I've seen people try too much and fizzle out. The typical result I've experienced from starting little, is adding more. You feel better, your endurance increases, you add more
  • spartan_d
    Five crunches in a single day is nowhere near the point at which any reasonable person -- in shape or not -- would fizzle out. Nor would a measly fifteen jumping jacks do that, and so forth. While doing too much can cause some people to fizzle out, these so-called "plans" go far beyond merely scaling back.

As far as starting with a little bit and then adding more goes, people usually do that IF they see results. When it comes to such horribly lightweight regimens though, one can't expect to see any substantial results. The Mayo Clinic recommends "least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes a week of vigorous aerobic activity" plus some strength training. These programs don't come anywhere close to that.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20057916

Now this is the point at which certain poster here say, "But these plans are good for some people! Maybe that's all that someone can do!" That is postulating extreme and purely hypothetical situations though, and such cases should not be used for developing guidelines for the general public. Besides, if somebody struggles to do five lousy stomach crunches, then that person needs to be under a physician's watchful care rather than relying on generic recommendations from a so-called gym.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    So I think I remember saying something about post surgery. This workout seems like a great idea for that. I remember after my post surgery on a torn muscle in physical therapy, my graduation task to stop going was to do 10 push ups. I think the first day I was not even able to do one on my knees. I also remember doing bicep curls with a broomstick and 5, 10 pound dumbbells.

I find it hard to believe that for the days posted that someone is that out of shape that they would call that a workout. Planet fitness wonders why a lot of folks poke fun at that gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If I absolutely KNEW I could get a full free pizza on Friday Nights for the cost of the gym membership- I'd totally sign up. it Costs me 14 bucks to order out now- if I got 2 pizza's a week at 19.99- it would 100% pay for itself.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Mayor_West wrote: »
    Any plan of theirs that neglects their free pizza needs to be disregarded completely.

guy-eats-pizza-while-working-out.gif

...I just watched this in amazement for about 2 minutes straight. Now I feel sick to my stomach...like I just ate a whole pizza with some motion sickness.

I just wanted to see the image again... anyway people stop arguing, I get all points here, my mom can't do a proper pushup,well I haven't seen any girl at my gym being able to,still,you can always try and stuff. The pizza and bagels lol,well on one hand no one forces you to eat that right? on the other one... lunk alarm and deadlift banned? I can't comprehend this, I do rumanian deadlift with 40 kgs, is that cool or not?

All in all, it's good people could get STARTED with a cheap membership then to move towards a place with qualified trainers maybe, if I saw something like that on my gym I'd run away. I mean we had pizza once,it was a birthday one, I had none,but it wasn't like a common thing.

My point is, I'd like to know success stories from people who attended this ahm place.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Mayor_West wrote: »
    Any plan of theirs that neglects their free pizza needs to be disregarded completely.

guy-eats-pizza-while-working-out.gif

...I just watched this in amazement for about 2 minutes straight. Now I feel sick to my stomach...like I just ate a whole pizza with some motion sickness.

Hahaha when you think about it... it's still better than sitting still while eating pizza (moment in time snapshot)...
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Wow! What a joke of a Gym. Glad we dont have any here where i live
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Some activity is better than none.

exactly