To Avocado or Not to Avocado ???

Replies

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    The guacamole you get at Subway is below par. I agree with the poster about Wholly quacamole, it is much better. I will often make avocado toast in the morning, mash about 1/4 an avocado onto a dry piece of toast. Add salt and pepper, a little basalmic vinegar, lemon, or lime. It's very filling. I also like to cut up avocado with butter lettuce, mandarin oranges and a little Italian dressing. It's also great sliced on sandwiches.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    While avocado is the main ingredient in guac, it's not exactly true that guac=avocado. Guacamole has other things in it (usually something like mayo or sour cream, and spices) and very likely won't give you a great idea of what plain avocado tastes like ... plus it can add unnecessary calories and be a less healthy option. On top of that, Subway would not be an example of good guac.

Try plain avocado. It has a mild flavor, but it's good. (Of course, how ripe it is can affect the flavor, too :grimace: You may have to experiment a bit.) But, when it comes down to it, if you don't like avocado, don't eat it. I don't think there's any food out there with so great of benefits that it's worth forcing it down when you hate it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited July 2015
    Avocado and guacamole are not the same thing... guac usually has onions, garlic, lemon, etc. in it.

I used to find avocado bland but now I eat it and I fill the pit hole with (low sodium) soy sauce - it reminds me of sushi and is now one of my happiest treats.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    debubbie wrote: »
    I love the Wholly Guacamole snack packs (100 calories) in the spicy flavor and they are yummy! I enjoy them on cheeseburgers, with crackers, or veggies to dip in, sometimes on my salad mixed with some salsa, and with any type of taco like meals. Also, yesterday at a restaurant I had an avocado brownie and it was utterly amazing! They used the avocado to replace the oil that is typically used in brownies to make them moist and I definitely need to find that recipe!

I totally agree. The ranch flavor is good too. I also like to use it in my egg salad instead of mayo. Turns it green but tastes yummy. I really would like to try those brownies.
  • grkfire
    grkfire Posts: 152 Member
    edited July 2015
    I eat a whole avocado with a spoon & nothing added to it. It's awesome! But it's also good with lime, salt, cilantro, diced tomatoes all mixed together. Makes a great topping/spread to almost anything!
  • ReignInSeattle
    ReignInSeattle Posts: 3 Member
    I like to mash it up and add lime juice, diced red onion, garlic and salt/pepper. Soooo yummy! I add it to my tuna or on a Wasa cracker...in my salads, on eggs...It's so versatile while still providing many dietary benefits.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    idk if subway guac is read avocado lol. avocado is very decision, and you can make your own guac way better than a take out chain. it is also good in smoothies, frozen to use as a base for a chocolate moose, plain by itself, on sandwiches, used in place of mayo. skinnytaste blog has a lot of recipes with avocado as well. guac is simple, mix the avocado (2) with some diced tomatoes, cilantro, lemon juice, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, diced onion.
  • jamieb55
    jamieb55 Posts: 145 Member
    Hell yes avocado!!!!! Subways guac sucks, gotta make your own fresh or just eat it plain with a little salt...YUM!!!!!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Avocado needs some salt and acidity, notably lime juice, to taste better and less bland.
  • d08t
    d08t Posts: 43 Member
    I like to slice each half into cubes then drizzle with a few grams of honey and season with sea salt. It's amazing!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    1. guacomole isn't the same as avocado
    2. subway is terrible, so of course their guacomole is terrible.
    3. i never ate avocados until about 2 years ago, now i routinely eat them as a side with a turkey burger, with chicken breast, with salmon, etc...I don't ever put anything on it though.

it's a great side and super quick to get ready.
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Ugh...can't stand the texture of avocado. But I like guacamole with tortilla chips/salsa...that's about the only way I will eat it
  • icanplay3
    And HOW do you ever know when they are ripe??? I have bought them before to make homemade guac and they are always rock hard. SMH I need to post this in the "what makes you irrationally angry" section haha
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    I have avocado on my toast in the morning sometimes with eggs and kale/spinach over top. It's really good. I've also made pasta with a lemon sauce that had avocado in it. Very tasty!
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member

Best Guacamole

Servings: 8 Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 112 • Fat: 10 g • Protein: 1.4 g • Carb: 6.5 g • Fiber: 4.5 g • Sugar: 0.3 g
    Sodium: 5.6 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:
    3 medium avocados, halved
    1 lime, juiced
    1/3 cup red onion, minced
    1 small clove garlic, mashed
    1 tbsp chopped cilantro
    kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste

Directions:

Place the pulp from the avocados in a medium bowl and slightly mash with a fork or a potato masher leaving some large chunks. Add lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, red onion, garlic and mix thoroughly.
  • VeryKatie
    edited July 2015
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    And HOW do you ever know when they are ripe??? I have bought them before to make homemade guac and they are always rock hard. SMH I need to post this in the "what makes you irrationally angry" section haha

They're ripe when they're not rock hard anymore. You should be able to poke it and leave a print, but it should spring back a little. Don't plan to use an avocado the same day you buy it. Give it a few days on the counter.
  • scj1964
    scj1964 Posts: 1 Member
    My coworkers like it as a desert. They are from the Philippines and they are eating it with milk and sugar. I never tried it, but they love toit that way.
  • icanplay3
    VeryKatie wrote: »

They're ripe when they're not rock hard anymore. You should be able to poke it and leave a print, but it should spring back a little. Don't plan to use an avocado the same day you buy it. Give it a few days on the counter.

Thank you for the tip!! I will try to be more patient with them next time! haha o:)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Thank you for the tip!! I will try to be more patient with them next time! haha o:)

I hope you enjoy! Should be much less stringy now!
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    edited July 2015
    I cut an avocado in half, take the pit out, and fill the hole with Balsamic vinegar or Sriracha... Avocados (and any healthy fatty food) are a great way of sustaining appetite for long periods of time...