doctor suggested low carb diet

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    she was telling me to get rid of bread/pasta/corn and potatoes and all that good stuff. she told me anything from a box is no good, that i need to eat real food.

to be fair, if what you're currently doing isn't working then why not try it....

I agree with this. As much as I detest specific diets solely for weight loss, it's all about what works for you. If simple ci<co isn't working for you, then why not try something else to achieve your deficit? Don't worry about failing. You say you're already failing, so the worst that can happen is you're right where you left off.
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    i have to say, so far so good really....had a 2 egg omlette with cheese and spinach and some banana greek yogurt and im not hungry again, when usually i would be starving again. also am enjoying my lime water lol
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    she was telling me to get rid of bread/pasta/corn and potatoes and all that good stuff. she told me anything from a box is no good, that i need to eat real food.

to be fair, if what you're currently doing isn't working then why not try it....

I agree with this. As much as I detest specific diets solely for weight loss, it's all about what works for you. If simple ci<co isn't working for you, then why not try something else to achieve your deficit? Don't worry about failing. You say you're already failing, so the worst that can happen is you're right where you left off.

the problem is, if ci<co isn't working then ci>=co so ci needs to be ci-x
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    Now my opinion ;) -
    Probably the BEST thing you can do for yourself is use MFP to your advantage. Set up your calorie deficit, then set up your macros (protein/fat/carbs) to a healthy ratio (just shooting from the hip, 40% protein, 30% fats/carbs works well for most), log all your foods and try to hit your macro goals. If you do that, I would bet that you will see how imbalanced your current diet really is.

What your doctor is saying is not that bad of advice, but she is generalizing what works for her and what she thinks about you without really taking the time to get info about what you really do.

40% protein is above the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range of 10 - 35% of calories from protein.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    i have to say, so far so good really....had a 2 egg omlette with cheese and spinach and some banana greek yogurt and im not hungry again, when usually i would be starving again. also am enjoying my lime water lol

protein does help keep you feeling fuller longer...my fav breakfast right now is a fruit smoothie with protein powder just to get to my target.

Winter time egg muffins (homemade) with ham and cheese....nothing wrong with carbs/starches but fill up on meat/protein and fats first....that's what I do....and still have lots of room left for extra stuff like bread, potatoes and chocolate...
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Now my opinion ;) -
    Probably the BEST thing you can do for yourself is use MFP to your advantage. Set up your calorie deficit, then set up your macros (protein/fat/carbs) to a healthy ratio (just shooting from the hip, 40% protein, 30% fats/carbs works well for most), log all your foods and try to hit your macro goals. If you do that, I would bet that you will see how imbalanced your current diet really is.

What your doctor is saying is not that bad of advice, but she is generalizing what works for her and what she thinks about you without really taking the time to get info about what you really do.

40% protein is above the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range of 10 - 35% of calories from protein.

fair enough, but who cares about AMDR? People that are trying not to starve.

"Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges (AMDRs), which aim to minimize chronic disease risk while maintaining adequate macronutrient intakes against the back drop of adequate energy intake and physical activity, were also introduced"

If you care about not losing muscle mass during weight loss, those recommendations are low IMO and in the opinions of many. You really need to quote protein numbers from a sports nutrition source since we, in this forum, tend not to worry about starving to death. That said, I stated that I was shooting from the hip. If you really get to it, setting macro intakes using percentages is not a good idea.
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member

That's awesome! Also, eating high fiber foods might help you in a number of ways. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids when you do that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    OP - you do not need low carb to lose weight unless you have some medical condition that makes you sensitive to them.

this is my standard advice:

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

I would also checkout the below sticky.

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

• QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    min_2_max wrote: »
    I have found lower carb the way to go. Just combine with calorie counting. Simplest way to start is to eliminate any thing with sugar like soda, cereal, ice cream, candy and even yogurt. Don't be afraid of fruits and vegetables, but skip fruit juices. Good luck!

FYI, don't listen to this guy....you don't need to eliminate anything, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you should lose weight. Moderation is key!!!!!!

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

the problem is, if ci<co isn't working then ci>=co so ci needs to be ci-x

I said SIMPLE ci<co, meaning ci<co without a strategy to achieve it (which works fine for most people), which I followed up with "try low carb to achieve it." I didn't say she doesn't need ci<co. Of course she does.

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have found lower carb the way to go. Just combine with calorie counting. Simplest way to start is to eliminate any thing with sugar like soda, cereal, ice cream, candy and even yogurt. Don't be afraid of fruits and vegetables, but skip fruit juices. Good luck!

FYI, don't listen to this guy....you don't need to eliminate anything, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you should lose weight. Moderation is key!!!!!!

True, but if you're currently eating a surplus then something needs to be eliminated... soda, cereal, ice cream and candy are not particularly satiating or nutritious and are high in calories. For most people, eliminating these foods can make a huge impact with a very small change.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Did she say by how much to cut? I try to keep my carbs between 100/150 eat in a deficit and I do just fine. I started at 295, down to 251. I began my journey just a little over 4 months ago. You can add me if you want.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Now my opinion ;) -

"Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges (AMDRs), which aim to minimize chronic disease risk while maintaining adequate macronutrient intakes against the back drop of adequate energy intake and physical activity, were also introduced"

If you care about not losing muscle mass during weight loss, those recommendations are low IMO and in the opinions of many. You really need to quote protein numbers from a sports nutrition source since we, in this forum, tend not to worry about starving to death. That said, I stated that I was shooting from the hip. If you really get to it, setting macro intakes using percentages is not a good idea.

I'm not sure what you belief in protein intake is here but loss of muscle mass isn't going to be much of an issue if the high BF is a more dire issue. If the OP wants to preserve muscle mass, which is not everyone's goal, they would take up a weight training program and maintain .6-.8g or protein per pound of body weight. Note that .8 is for the heaviest lifters and not a general guideline and the excessive 1g - 2g/pound is way to high. You won't maintain muscle just because you eat more protein in the absence of training, the body doesn't work that way.
  • ndj1979
    edited July 2015
    bluefish86 wrote: »

True, but if you're currently eating a surplus then something overall calories needs to be eliminated reduced... soda, cereal, ice cream and candy are not particularly satiating or nutritious and are high in calories. For most people, eliminating these foods can make a huge impact with a very small change.

fixed it for you.
  • LynnSullivan1
    LynnSullivan1 Posts: 24 Member
    Well, I am in the same boat - doctor who is a naturopath that I trust just said the same thing to me about 3 weeks ago. I need to loose around 15-20 pounds, which to you may not sound like a lot. However, every pound presents its own problem when your body does not wish to cooperate. I have type 2 diabetes and the last 3 weeks I have been a pincushion as I need to poke for blood multiple times per day. Woke up last night to vampire myself at 3:30 and now at 7:00. My point is that maybe your doc is trying to have you avoid this mess! I have drastically cut back on carbs by reading labels, blogs, doctor's abstracts of scientific studies and measured portions while documenting my food intake and glucose levels and overall feeling of well-being. What I have come to realize is that my body just cannot handle more than say 20 net carbs per meal and feel well. That is 3x more than my doc recommended. She said 30 per day. That is a lot harder done than said, but I am trying. And it does require buying fresh ingredients, looking at the glycemic load of foods and staying away from the onion bagels I bought my boys! After eating this few carbs, I have felt much better and truly have not been hungry. I have lost only 7 pounds, half of that being water, but that is still good. FWIW, about the egg comment above.... it has been shown by more recent and comprehensive studies that it is not the cholesterol in food, but what our body makes from carbs that makes the ratio of good to bad cholesterol out of whack.

I would recommend that you try the low carb or at least low glycemic diet for multiple weeks and see if it works for you if you are blood glucose impaired or have higher bad cholesterol or blood pressure numbers. Just try to use the healthier fats rather than processed Atkins-type mimics of higher carb foods.

Wishing you wisdom on your journey.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    bluefish86 wrote: »

True, but if you're currently eating a surplus then something overall calories needs to be eliminated reduced... soda, cereal, ice cream and candy are not particularly satiating or nutritious and are high in calories. For most people, eliminating these foods can make a huge impact with a very small change.

fixed it for you.

No need to be pedantic, I'm not disagreeing with you.
  • LynnSullivan1
    LynnSullivan1 Posts: 24 Member
    You just posted 2 egg omelette with yogurt. Sounds healthy, but consult the back of the yogurt carton and see how many carbs are there. There are likely around 36. Try finding some Carbsmart yogurt - available at Fry's/Smith's/others in the Kroger chain. It has 4 and I can eat it without rebound hunger. Another thing I've found is that if I eat carbs earlier in the day, it sets up my body's expectation for more sugar/carbs and I was crazy hungry all the rest of the one day I ate watermelon at noon. Keep a food and feeling diary and log both to see what works for you. If you want to friend me, I'd welcome it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Now my opinion ;) -

Over 35% calories from protein is generally considered excessive (and hence unnecessary).

The RDI covers the needs of the population, the bottom end of the AMDR addresses "people trying not to starve".
  • ndj1979
    You just posted 2 egg omelette with yogurt. Sounds healthy, but consult the back of the yogurt carton and see how many carbs are there. There are likely around 36. Try finding some Carbsmart yogurt - available at Fry's/Smith's/others in the Kroger chain. It has 4 and I can eat it without rebound hunger. Another thing I've found is that if I eat carbs earlier in the day, it sets up my body's expectation for more sugar/carbs and I was crazy hungry all the rest of the one day I ate watermelon at noon. Keep a food and feeling diary and log both to see what works for you. If you want to friend me, I'd welcome it.

that sentence makes no sense...

carb timing has nothing to do with anything.
  • faithgirlfl
    faithgirlfl Posts: 28 Member

i am willing to try it thats for sure....but not sure how long i can keep it up.

Maybe it will make it easier if you realize that once your cut DOWN your carbs it gets easier .. I cut my carbs and by day 4 or 5 I realized i didn't even want them....