edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
What are your thoughts guys?x

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    No.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I prefer food. If I am drinking my calories, it will be alcohol.
  • adewaleflorence
    adewaleflorence Posts: 3 Member
    No.

Why?x I just started today
  • adewaleflorence
    adewaleflorence Posts: 3 Member
    randomtai wrote: »

Lol! What kind of foods do you eat to help with your weight loss?x
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    No.

Why?x I just started today

Poor macro ratios, crap ingredients, not filling, doesn't teach you portion control, overpriced, doesn't work.

Just a few reasons.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

All of them. Less than you burn. It's simple, really.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member

Read the stickies. It's clear that you don't understand weight loss just yet.

Certain foods do not help with weight loss. That comes from a caloric deficit.
  • randomtai

Read the stickies. It's clear that you don't understand weight loss just yet.

Certain foods do not help with weight loss. That comes from a caloric deficit.

This.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    i make my own protein shake. 8 oz of milk, 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt and two scoops of ON whey protein
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

No foods directly cause weight loss. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
  • randomtai

I eat everything from fast food to fast food. :p
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Slim Fast (and other meal replacement diets) do not teach portion control. Most people who use them lose weight (because it helps create a calorie deficit) but then regain weight when they stop the shakes and start eating 'normal' meals again.

Save time and money by learning to eat the foods you enjoy in the appropriate amounts for your calorie and nutritional needs.

And read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    edited July 2015
    I would say no. Like others are saying, it does not teach portion control, and personally, the ingredients are not for me. While a calorie deficit is the only thing that truly matters for weight-loss, I feel that people here get too hung up on pointing that out. I feel that certain foods can aid in weight-loss. Not in a way that if you eat a certain food it'll burn more fat, but in a good food choice kind of way. You can have 1 Oreo cookie for 53 calories, or 200 grams of watermelon for 60 calories. The watermelon is healthier for you and more filling, so it will keep me fuller longer, and for me personally, it won't cause me to crave sugar and I'm less likely to eat 5 cookies.

That being said, I do not limit myself to certain foods. I do have things like cookies and chocolate sometimes. If you want to lose weight:

Do not restrict certain foods (unless medically necessary)
    Weigh out your foods with a scale to make sure you're getting the correct portion size
    Don't think that there is an easy way to lose weight
    Eat less calories than you burn
    Be consistent, but don't be afraid to change things up to find what works best for you

Try the shakes if you want, they may work for you. That's really a matter of personal choice. If you're using them to feel full, then there are a multitude of smoothie options you could try that will more than likely taste a million times better, and you can control what goes into them. I make a berry and oat smoothie with frozen mixed berries, plain greek yogurt, oats, coconut oil (for fat and flavor), and water. It makes a 24oz smoothie that keeps me full for hours and has just over 220 calories.

edit: Also, while asking for help and opinions is great, make sure to take the time to do your own research. The more informed you are, the better choices you can make.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    NO NO NO
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Gross, no. There are so many other things I'd rather eat with that 200 calories.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    No. :|
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    I've never used SlimFast (aside from having a try of a few when I was younger and mom bought crate-loads of them - I thought it was rubbish and stuck to chocolate milk, ha ha!), but I did use a meal replacement shake for a bit.

I used it because I found I was too rushed in the morning to pack a breakfast and I found just a whey protein shake wasn't helping me stay full or get the micronutrients I wanted. I found a (super expensive) MRP (Labrada LeanBody, I think?) that tasted fantastic and met my nutrient, calorie and protein goals and used it instead of breakfast for a while.

Now, though, I make egg muffins for breakfast because Labrada is damn expensive and I have other things to spend money on. When I make enough, I'll look into buying it again, as I really liked it and I found it was great on days when I wanted something sweet for breakfast.

But honestly? Drinking a SlimFast occasionally will not make you thin/fit/weigh less. If you just add a SlimFast onto whatever you're currently doing (unless you're reducing everything else to fit it in a deficit), you're just gotta get FlabFast.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    ThatMouse wrote: »
    I've never used SlimFast (aside from having a try of a few when I was younger and mom bought crate-loads of them - I thought it was rubbish and stuck to chocolate milk, ha ha!), but I did use a meal replacement shake for a bit.

I used it because I found I was too rushed in the morning to pack a breakfast and I found just a whey protein shake wasn't helping me stay full or get the micronutrients I wanted. I found a (super expensive) MRP (Labrada LeanBody, I think?) that tasted fantastic and met my nutrient, calorie and protein goals and used it instead of breakfast for a while.

Now, though, I make egg muffins for breakfast because Labrada is damn expensive and I have other things to spend money on. When I make enough, I'll look into buying it again, as I really liked it and I found it was great on days when I wanted something sweet for breakfast.

But honestly? Drinking a SlimFast occasionally will not make you thin/fit/weigh less. If you just add a SlimFast onto whatever you're currently doing (unless you're reducing everything else to fit it in a deficit), you're just gotta get FlabFast.
    This happens ALOT! I worked in a pharmacy for years and customers would come in crying the blues about using slimfast and gaining. Still have to watch those other calories consumed!

• alwilson1974
    alwilson1974 Posts: 28 Member
    I personally like the Slimfast powder....sometimes I will use it as my breakfast and add fruit or peanut butter and ice and blend . I am not doing the actual plan but like any other meal replacement it serves the purpose. I like the simplicity when I want a shake for breakfast. I also like to blend the french vanilla powder and add a teaspoon of instant coffee and ice...great morning coffee treat. I find it to be tasty and inexpensive (Walmart).
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    I like shakes from time to time. I often have to work through lunch so grabbing a shake keeps from being starved later on. Much easier to make a healthy dinner if I'm not food crazed with hunger. They also make a decent snack when i really want some chocolate. People have strong opinions about it. I agree you can't live on shakes forever but I think they have their place and slim fast is way cheaper than a lot of the other shakes out there