Cardio is the devil

13»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    It's good for your health and will help you lose, but it isn't necessary to lose weight.

It's so funny how everyone is different. I'd rather go to the dentist than lift weights for 45 minutes, but it love to swim and dance and walk (when it's not too hot to walk) and then there are people like you who like the weights and hate to exercise.

I wish I could give you some of my love for cardio and you could give me some for weights! :)
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    I hate cardio . I did 15 mins of cardio , And 45 Mins of weights . will I see any results even if I lowered my cardio. I guess I shall see . Lol

Now when you say 15 mins of cardio, are you actually getting your heart rate up, or just moving on the machine?

I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks ( which was torcher for me ) then I ran on the treadmill for 10 minutes 2 of those ten I jogged .

While I didn't hate cardio, it wasn't my favorite thing. But when I started using a HRM seeing that the work I thought I was doing wasn't really getting my heart going, made me have to step it up a bit, now doing 60 mins at 80 to 90% is a breeze, can do 30 mins above 90% then go work a 12 hr shift. I see people come and do quick cardio to warm up, if I did that after about 10 mins my heart would be back to resting rate.

I only recently got a HR monitor and last night was my first speed interval running session on the treadmill. Seeing my HR go up and down with effort was fun and I found I'd been previously resting too long between intervals. I had been running for 1min, brisk walking for 2min but last night as soon as my HR got back down to 70% I started running again, whether it took only 30s or over 2 mins (which it was towards the end) to get there.
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's good for your health and will help you lose, but it isn't necessary to lose weight.

It's so funny how everyone is different. I'd rather go to the dentist than lift weights for 45 minutes, but it love to swim and dance and walk (when it's not too hot to walk) and then there are people like you who like the weights and hate to exercise.

I wish I could give you some of my love for cardio and you could give me some for weights! :)
    Pass the love for cardio lol I need it
  • ebyla85
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I hate cardio . I did 15 mins of cardio , And 45 Mins of weights . will I see any results even if I lowered my cardio. I guess I shall see . Lol

Now when you say 15 mins of cardio, are you actually getting your heart rate up, or just moving on the machine?

I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks ( which was torcher for me ) then I ran on the treadmill for 10 minutes 2 of those ten I jogged .

Why?

Idk just because lol
  • ebyla85
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

Ugh, that sounds awful. No wonder you hate cardio.
    I work with heart failure patients, so I'm gonna side with the "do cardio" crowd- you know how hard it is to get a new heart if you're not Dick Cheney??

I run, bike, swim, hike, and always walk instead of driving in town. Seems to do the trick.
    Here's a picture from one of my tortuous cardio workouts:
    rpupqbf9rt80.jpg

Lemme, tell ya, that run with my mom was one of the greatest hours in recent memory.

Do what you love- or at least tolerate- and take care of your heart. Also, buy headphones and quit with the jumping jacks.
    I hate running period
    , I don't like swimming and Hiking I'll probably try . Ok I'll quit these awful jumping jacks .
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Hop on a bike then? Indoors or outside. Pedal like your life depends on it. Have fun!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    I do cardio because I'd rather sweat it out a few times per week on the treadmill (in addition to strength training) and have a good looking body and a healthy heart and lungs than just look good and still keel over at 60.

You know that doesn't actually happen to anyone, right? Hyperbolic, much?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

Ugh, that sounds awful. No wonder you hate cardio.
    I work with heart failure patients, so I'm gonna side with the "do cardio" crowd- you know how hard it is to get a new heart if you're not Dick Cheney??

I run, bike, swim, hike, and always walk instead of driving in town. Seems to do the trick.
    Here's a picture from one of my tortuous cardio workouts:
    rpupqbf9rt80.jpg

Lemme, tell ya, that run with my mom was one of the greatest hours in recent memory.

Do what you love- or at least tolerate- and take care of your heart. Also, buy headphones and quit with the jumping jacks.
    I hate running period
    , I don't like swimming and Hiking I'll probably try . Ok I'll quit these awful jumping jacks .

Have you tried the other cardio equipment, I'm an elliptical person, I do it 5 days a week for 60 mins, hate the days I don't.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    I do cardio because I'd rather sweat it out a few times per week on the treadmill (in addition to strength training) and have a good looking body and a healthy heart and lungs than just look good and still keel over at 60.

Which bit? Have a good body and a healthy heart? Or keel over at 60? Because if the latter, I'm pretty sure that in the history of mankind, it's not unheard of for seemingly healthy people to suffer a sudden stroke or heart attack.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Everyone hates cardio. I rather enjoy it.
  • ScubaSteve1962

Which bit? Have a good body and a healthy heart? Or keel over at 60? Because if the latter, I'm pretty sure that in the history of mankind, it's not unheard of for seemingly healthy people to suffer a sudden stroke or heart attack.

No this never happens, to football players, basketball players, or any other super athlete.

• Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Here to show some love for cardio....ya know, with my healthy heart. <3

Hugging all the cardio.
  • HardcoreP0rk

Yea but not because they dont do enough cardio, like you're implying
  • ScubaSteve1962

While it may not prevent you from having a heart attack or stroke, in a lot of cases it would have help people not have one. So called "healthy looking" people have them all the time.
  • HardcoreP0rk

While it may not prevent you from having a heart attack or stroke, in a lot of cases it would have help people not have one. So called "healthy looking" people have them all the time.

*sigh* Sure. There are definitely preventive health benefits of cardio. But you're not going to keel over and die because you didnt do enough. And I don't know why you're even arguing this with examples like super athletes and basketball players that obviously get plenty of cardio.

Bottom line is that a healthy individual who experiences a cardiac event is most likely in that position due to a genetic or structural component that is independent of diet and exercise habits. And you can be PERFECTLY healthy without jogging for 30 minutes a day. And there's no need to be hyperbolic about it and say that you're going to keel over at a young age from not doing enough cardio.