From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Replies

• bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Beautiful before and after! Amazing transformation! We have similar stats, so this was even more motivating. <3
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    You are now my MFP idol.
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    Oh ladies, what sweethearts you all are! Thank you. :blush::heart:

• GenElizabeth
    edited July 2015
    heybales wrote: »
    Excellent results - based on excellent program - laying foundation for most excellent future.

Thank you, appreciate that. I'm excited about my future now, for sure!

@bwilliams66 Thank you! Believe in yourself!! I wish you best. :smile:

Day 3 of your lift routine today and extra weights added to my birthday list!

I was wondering in the early days of lifting at home did you use protein shakes/bars?

I started using supplements around 9 months into my journey (one Orgain chocolate shake/day). For almost that first year, I got all of my protein from whole foods.

I have try MANY products out there in terms of supplements, for taste, ingredients and how they make me feel, trying to find the "good ones" (there are millions of things to try so by no means am I an expert but I know what I like :wink:).

Supplements give your body the extra nutrients it needs, while being on a "restricted diet", which is basically eating at a deficit. I am a big believer in supplements (dependent on your goals of course).
  • louisebal1983
    louisebal1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello MFPers!

I am 33 years old and 5'3". I started this difficult journey in Jan of 2014 at 205lbs and I had JUST hit a size 20!!! In Dec 2014, I got down to a size 8 and around 135lbs! I feel great and am loving who I am becoming now! I'm learning a TON and meeting a lot of great people in the process.

I came across MFP in June of last year. I have kept a moderate calorie deficit pretty consistently (500 or so each day), with my carbs and protein around 100g each while lifting weights regularly (in my home with my own collected equipment), 5-6 times/week. I didn't do much cardio, as I don't enjoy it. I do run on occasion though. I feel empowered now and I absolutely LOVE strength training! Planning to take new progress pics at the end of June so I'm looking forward to that. :)

Here is my story so far on realbodiesrealresults.com. Feel free to check it out! :blush:
    realbodiesrealresults.com/gen.html

Best wishes to you all, anything is possible if you don't give up! :heart:

fdfm4zk13syy.jpg

ofn9eb5b3li7.jpg

3thg10dkzn4h.jpg

mcs7xhgcpcti.jpg

jrkoda9hxmgh.png
    dum6683wmsay.jpg

• louisebal1983
    louisebal1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Plz tell me how to get your arms like that. I'm 5 ft 3 now weighing 129 lbs but my arms are massive at the top. I do go the gym but don't know what weight training I should be doing. X
  • Happy0110
    Happy0110 Posts: 12 Member
    WOW! Girl I have never seen results from strength training that made me actually want to give it a try. Thank you so much for sharing your transformation with us!
  • Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Hello MFPers!

Hi, congratulations! So strength training? That's amazing! I've basically only been walking, and doing aerobics, and lost 20lbs, so far~ (In less than 2 months, might I add! :D) I'm definitely going to have to try incorporating weights into my routines. From your pictures, you look absolutely stunning! Your journey/results actually eases my mind about building too much muscle from strength training. (Which is what I DON'T want. >_<)
  • kerryadams21
    kerryadams21 Posts: 11 Member
    Excellent results - based on excellent program - laying foundation for most excellent future.

I was wondering in the early days of lifting at home did you use protein shakes/bars?

I started using supplements around 9 months into my journey (one Orgain chocolate shake/day). For almost that first year, I got all of my protein from whole foods.

I have try MANY products out there in terms of supplements, for taste, ingredients and how they make me feel, trying to find the "good ones" (there are millions of things to try so by no means am I an expert but I know what I like :wink:).

Supplements give your body the extra nutrients it needs, while being on a "restricted diet", which is basically eating at a deficit. I am a big believer in supplements (dependent on your goals of course).

Thank you, it definitely feels a bit early to be adding protein supplements. The week before last I lost two pounds in two weeks, i started your routine this week and I lost three pounds in one week!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Peachiko87 wrote: »
    Hello MFPers!

Hi, congratulations! So strength training? That's amazing! I've basically only been walking, and doing aerobics, and lost 20lbs, so far~ (In less than 2 months, might I add! :D) I'm definitely going to have to try incorporating weights into my routines. From your pictures, you look absolutely stunning! Your journey/results actually eases my mind about building too much muscle from strength training. (Which is what I DON'T want. >_<)

As a woman - you'd be hard pressed to even if you wanted them. Just don't take steroids and testosterone to work against your body's natural hormones.
  • miggy1971
    miggy1971 Posts: 10 Member
    Nice!
  • LizaJo65
    LizaJo65 Posts: 25 Member
    Gorgeous fit and motivating thanks for sharing
  • mineboy
    mineboy Posts: 2,478 Member
    Hello MFPers!

I am 33 years old and 5'3". I started this difficult journey in Jan of 2014 at 205lbs and I had JUST hit a size 20!!! In Dec 2014, I got down to a size 8 and around 135lbs! I feel great and am loving who I am becoming now! I'm learning a TON and meeting a lot of great people in the process.

I came across MFP in June of last year. I have kept a moderate calorie deficit pretty consistently (500 or so each day), with my carbs and protein around 100g each while lifting weights regularly (in my home with my own collected equipment), 5-6 times/week. I didn't do much cardio, as I don't enjoy it. I do run on occasion though. I feel empowered now and I absolutely LOVE strength training! Planning to take new progress pics at the end of June so I'm looking forward to that. :)

Here is my story so far on realbodiesrealresults.com. Feel free to check it out! :blush:
    realbodiesrealresults.com/gen.html

Best wishes to you all, anything is possible if you don't give up! :heart:

fdfm4zk13syy.jpg

ofn9eb5b3li7.jpg

3thg10dkzn4h.jpg

mcs7xhgcpcti.jpg

jrkoda9hxmgh.png
    dum6683wmsay.jpg
    wow great work

• angellak
    angellak Posts: 68 Member
    Wow! Your an inspiration! I want to get into lifting weights so I can see changes like that. Thanks for sharing.
  • missesnaomi
    missesnaomi Posts: 1 Member
    Wow you look amazing, I'm currently your starting weight and I hope to be where you are 1 day you have really inspired me :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    You look really fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm not sure when I'll be able to lift heavy weights again, so it's encouraging to see what can be achieved with lighter weights, done daily with a mind-muscle connection. I was expecting to see much higher rep ranges than what you posted in your sample workout, that was surprising :)

Good luck with your competition :)
  • GenElizabeth

Thank you, it definitely feels a bit early to be adding protein supplements. The week before last I lost two pounds in two weeks, i started your routine this week and I lost three pounds in one week!

Awesome!!! :sweat_smile:

And thanks very much everyone, happy Monday! My favorite day of the week. :blush:
  • GenElizabeth
    edited July 2015
    tomatoey wrote: »
    You look really fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm not sure when I'll be able to lift heavy weights again, so it's encouraging to see what can be achieved with lighter weights, done daily with a mind-muscle connection. I was expecting to see much higher rep ranges than what you posted in your sample workout, that was surprising :)

Good luck with your competition :)

Thank you! I need it, lol... :open_mouth:

And yes, it's so important to do what you CAN and not focus on your limitations. Mind muscle connection is crucial also (my typical rep range was 3x10... those are special numbers to me personally so I stuck with that for the first year). Much of this journey is in the mind.. :heart:
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Absolutely awesome job! Fit is beautiful. Enjoy the new you! You've earned it.
  • GenElizabeth
    Absolutely awesome job! Fit is beautiful. Enjoy the new you! You've earned it.

Thank you very much, I've never been happier!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!