been binging much not much weight gain

I've been binging a lot lately, like over the past two months on and off. My mum says I don't look like I've gained any weight and she's usually very honest with me and tells me if I get fat. My clothes feel ok. On days when I don't binge I eat normally and I exercise a lot! I'll do 5 or 6k runs. When I binge I can eat up to 4000 kcals in a day, maybe more! Lately I've been unemployed and depressed and the past two weeks I havent done much exercise as I havent been feeling very energetic. I should have gained loads of weight but my mum says she doesn't think I have. I've never had a fast metabolism either but my mum thinks I do. When I was at school and uni I was fat but I never did any exercise then. My mum says with exercise I loose weight very quickly. I've binged so much I should be fatter. I don't have IBS as I don't have diarrhoea but sometimes I have the strong urge to go to the loo after food (sorry for gross detail). I'm 23 btw. I'm worried I may have cancer as unexplained weight loss is a symptom. Am I being silly?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Talk to a doctor. Or at least some kind of professional.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    You should seek professional help to take control of your binging problem.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Oh my.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Just like it takes a while to lose weight it takes a while to put it on. On average during the holiday season in the US people only put on about 0.5 lb. The binging is not good but the underlying problem is the depression. You need to take steps to correct it possibly including seeing a doctor. Good luck!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I've been binging a lot lately, like over the past two months on and off. My mum says I don't look like I've gained any weight and she's usually very honest with me and tells me if I get fat. My clothes feel ok. On days when I don't binge I eat normally and I exercise a lot! I'll do 5 or 6k runs. When I binge I can eat up to 4000 kcals in a day, maybe more! Lately I've been unemployed and depressed and the past two weeks I havent done much exercise as I havent been feeling very energetic. I should have gained loads of weight but my mum says she doesn't think I have. I've never had a fast metabolism either but my mum thinks I do. When I was at school and uni I was fat but I never did any exercise then. My mum says with exercise I loose weight very quickly. I've binged so much I should be fatter. I don't have IBS as I don't have diarrhoea but sometimes I have the strong urge to go to the loo after food (sorry for gross detail). I'm 23 btw. I'm worried I may have cancer as unexplained weight loss is a symptom. Am I being silly?

Get a scale...keep track for a week or two...see a doctor if needed.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Why do you not have a scale if you're so concerned about your weight?
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    i know i need help with my binge eating, i dont need people to tell me something that i already know myself! im asking if anyone has had an experience with this? some of these comments are useless and rude!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    i know i need help with my binge eating, i dont need people to tell me something that i already know myself! im asking if anyone has had an experience with this? some of these comments are useless and rude!

Welcome to MFP
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    tumor.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

So why aren't you getting some?

Or are you?

Most of these comments are on the money ...you have an illness, you need help from a professional team in real life not an online support group
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Are you bingeing because you haven't eaten enough the day before? Do you eat back your exercise? Sometimes it's better to spread your exercise calories across the week so you have a higher daily allowance and don't feel the need to binge. Low blood sugar can cause low mood but if you have concerns for your mental health then do go and get help before it overwhelms you.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    You are young (your metabolisms isn't going to get any faster), and you may not be eating that much on the other days. If you are concerned about your health than a doctor is the person that you should talk to. I would also strongly suggest talking to someone about your eating habits.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

So you are asking random online people to diagnose you with cancer?

tumblr_no1npkEvMR1uua2jvo1_250.gif
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member

Wow, then why are you asking questions on an open forum? I didn't see any rude or useless comments. Did you read something you didn't want to hear? You should definitely talk to a professional or maybe your Mum, she seems to have all the answers you're looking for.

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Time to head to the doctor...for various reasons. Don't bother getting a scale at this point. Not a good idea for someone having issues with disordered eating. Time to focus on a healthier mindset rather than weight.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    I didn't see anyone being rude. They are just saying to seek professional help. Dr. Google is unreliable. Jumping to cancer is a drastic concept, but if you are legit worried about your health, then go see a doctor. Some people can really just binge all day and not gain. You're still young, and you won't be able to binge without weight gain the older you get. I'm 32, and if I even look at a slice of cheese, I gain a pound.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    You don't have cancer.

Happy?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member

There is a difference between a scale weight and what your mom thinks you look like.
    There is no way of knowing if you really " should have " gained weight, because you give no details re: calories and I suppose you don't have any idea either.
    Also, how does you mom know that with exercising you will lose weight easily, because scientists say that the most important factor in weight loss is caloric deficit.
    Unexplained weight loss can be an indication of cancer ( in a very advanced state ), but mostly it is not . At least it was not when I had cancer ( thyroid & cervical ).
    If you are so concerned with your weight and health ( which can be a good thing ) you need to decide if you want to follow what your mom thinks, or if you want to see a health professional, unless of course your mom falls into that category.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Yes, you definitely have cancer. Go see a doctor for a second opinion, and while there, ask about counseling for binge eating and depression.