Your 'Ah-Ha' Moment

Replies

• deby32904
    deby32904 Posts: 22 Member
    I obviously have far too much time on my hands as another question out of sheer curiosity has been nagging away at me ... so here goes. :D
    • When was your 'AH-HA' moment that made you decide, 'ahhhm okay it's time to do something about this weight?'
    • What made a difference this time which differed from previous attempts to lose weight &/or get healthy? (motivation)
    • How much impact do you feel that a correct mindset has on the level of achievement?

Here I'll start this one:
    • My 'AH-HA' moment was when I saw that my blood glucose level was 101 mg/dL and the normal range was 70-100 mg/dL.
    • My motivation this time was not about making that silly little # on the scale go down, but it was about fighting off an impending diabetic future if I did nothing. The thought of all the complications that comes with diabetes. ie. kidney functions, amputations, blindness, etc. petrified me.
    • For me, the mindset of 'oh I need to get healthy' rather than 'lose a few pounds' oddly took the pressure of me to 'loose X weight by X amount of time.' I looked at it as I have a lifetime to continue to reach for my goal. So the weeks where I was loosing mere fractions of a pound didn't bother me because progress was progress. <3

• Prettyinpaisley
    Prettyinpaisley Posts: 40 Member
    It's totally superficial, but my ah-ha moment was when I was the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding. Instead of actually celebrating with her, I was more concerned about being the fat bridesmaid, and ruining her photos.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    AngeBee18 wrote: »
    This is going to be a long one, so apologies in advance...

2014 was a really bad year for me and my husband. Knowing that we had packed on a few too many kgs, we agreed to get fit together that year. However my husband started having back pain which meant we didn't really get into it. I held off, waiting for him to get better, because I wanted us to do it together (he's not very motivated if he has to do it alone and I wanted us to be exercise buddies!). But by April he was in chronic pain and could barely stand - he was 33 at the time. Cue 6 months of him not being able to work, or even sit or stand while taking masses of pain meds while waiting for surgery. I was working full time and studying part time and had to take over all chores and basic running of the house. We were both pretty depressed and would buy "comfort food" from the supermarket most days - it looked like I was shopping for a kids birthday party every time with chocolate, chips and lollies! I was exhausted all of the time, so we would eat take aways most nights as I felt too tired to cook, let alone exercise. I gained 10kgs in a couple of months and topped out at 110. The doctor told me I had to change my contraceptive because I was now so heavy I was at risk of blood clots. He sent me for blood tests which were ok, but not great.

I realised at this point that it couldn't go on. I was so unhappy and I felt like my whole life was revolving around my husband's injury. I needed to do something for myself, so in July 2014 I dragged my bike out of the garage and set it up in the lounge, remembering that exercise actually GIVES you energy, which I really needed. It took 2 weeks before I actually used it! But I started exercising daily and lost about 5kg in a month. Then I joined MFP to get my food under control and haven't looked back. My husband finally had his surgery in August last year, and was back at work full time from november-ish. He is still rehabilitating - so still can't really exercise, but he has lost weight and feels better with the healthy food we have been eating. I hit goal at the beginning of this month - Having lost 42kgs. I finally feel like I have my life back again.

in some ways I think our crisis was good, because it made this stick. I needed something in my life that I could control and succeed at when everything else had turned to *kitten*, and weight loss was that thing. I'm not sure ii would have succeeded without it. Silver linings!

No apologies necessary - thanks for sharing!

I think that was my problem as well, for the longest time I depended on the hubs for my own fitness because I wanted for us to do this 'together.' But then I came to the sad realization that I was mentally ready to move forward while he was not and I just couldn't put everything on hold - just waiting.

Almost two yrs into maint my consistent behaviors has organically rubbed off on him and he has started to eat better & regularly exercises.

So yea, totally get that ... best decision I ever made!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    @grenblackall That's so full of awesome! Thanks for sharing!
  • erniewebbiii
    erniewebbiii Posts: 1,174 Member
    I obviously have far too much time on my hands as another question out of sheer curiosity has been nagging away at me ... so here goes. :D
    • When was your 'AH-HA' moment that made you decide, 'ahhhm okay it's time to do something about this weight?'
    • What made a difference this time which differed from previous attempts to lose weight &/or get healthy? (motivation)
    • How much impact do you feel that a correct mindset has on the level of achievement?

Here I'll start this one:
    • My 'AH-HA' moment was when I saw that my blood glucose level was 101 mg/dL and the normal range was 70-100 mg/dL.
    • My motivation this time was not about making that silly little # on the scale go down, but it was about fighting off an impending diabetic future if I did nothing. The thought of all the complications that comes with diabetes. ie. kidney functions, amputations, blindness, etc. petrified me.
    • For me, the mindset of 'oh I need to get healthy' rather than 'lose a few pounds' oddly took the pressure of me to 'loose X weight by X amount of time.' I looked at it as I have a lifetime to continue to reach for my goal. So the weeks where I was loosing mere fractions of a pound didn't bother me because progress was progress. <3

Mine was when I struggled to tie my shoes while seated. That was bad.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    I think I have had many ah ha moments. The first time was when the scale went over 170, so I lost 20 pounds doing south beach and joined a gym.

Then there was a gain of 30 pounds or so, and I had to buy a pair of size 14 jeans. Lost the 30 pounds when I worked on mfp for about a year, and started to do classes at my gym.

Then I got sick, and the meds and my mental health had me shoving whatever I could into my face. The scalethe pped over 200, I refused to buy any clothes and just tried to get by wearing my pjs basically, even wearing them to work. I realized I needed to change for good when I was tired, sweating and needing to change clothing simply from walking around the block. So, January 1st 2014 it was my new years resolution to get thin and fit and stay that way.
    I lost 60 pounds by the end of that year. I'm not at maintenance yet though I have been accidentally maintaining in the 155 range for most of 2015. By New years id like to be down another 20 pounds. But I am feeling mostly fit and having trouble with the last bit so I'm basically at maintenance if that makes sense?

I motivated myself by lifting heavy and feeling strong. I hung out in the forums for a good 3 months for motivation. I came to this wonderful area for inspiration that I could be one of you one day. I joined many of the private group challenges. I asked my family to help keep me accountable. I recognized I was walking a thin path last month with ny binge snacking so I asked my hubby to hide the snacks. I've learnedquite a bit in the last few years I've been part of the mfp fam. Cheers!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Ah-ha was when I put on my largest jeans (size 16) and realizied they were so tight I couldn't sit down.

The difference was, MFP WORKED! And success begats success. So I kept on!

Mindset is 90%+ IMO.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    My Ah-Ha moment was organising family photographs in August 2013 into the computer. These were summer/bathing suit pictures.
    Oh my God!! Who's that fat whale floundering on the beach?
    No....is that me....??
    Yep.

What made it work?
    I was browsing and found MFP: I thought OK this is easy and mathematical, I can do this!
    Then just for fun I entered my breakfast and morning snack- and was already at goal calories for the day. Whoaahh!

2 years later -
    I've lost 20 pounds in 4 months as planned, and have been maintaining for more than a year and a half ...though it's not easy every day and I have put back on 6 pounds...
  • Laura3BB wrote: »
    My Ah-Ha moment was organising family photographs in August 2013 into the computer. These were summer/bathing suit pictures.
    Oh my God!! Who's that fat whale floundering on the beach?
    No....is that me....??
    Yep.

What made it work?
    I was browsing and found MFP: I thought OK this is easy and mathematical, I can do this!
    Then just for fun I entered my breakfast and morning snack- and was already at goal calories for the day. Whoaahh!

2 years later -
    I've lost 20 pounds in 4 months as planned, and have been maintaining for more than a year and a half ...though it's not easy every day and I have put back on 6 pounds...

ROFL LMAO @Laura3BB !!

My first week on MFP I did the same exact thing! I logged in my food and was just utterly & genuinely shocked because all that time I seriously thought I was eating 'healthy'

Congrats on maintaining btw - I just celebrated my 2 yr maint anniversary on Mon. :)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    My doctor called, tole me that my blood sugar was 455 and to go to the ER NOW because she feared that I would go into a COMA! 3.5 weeks later I have eaten like a saint, walked 6 miles and climbed 8 stairs daily and did some high intenisity interval training and some calisthenics. I bend over, pick up the ball and throw it to my dog < 5 hours weekly. I do bumps, grinds and shimmys in the elevator when I take it to lunch. I do stretches 3 times daily as I wait for my commuter train. I lost 7 pounds and it looks like 10. I am going to fix my bike so I can ride it to the library which I do once or twice weekly; and start walking down the five staircases to lunch when I loose a size. I will climb up the five staircases from lunch when I loose another. I'm in this for the long run and have to protect my joints.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Hmm for me it was during my pole fitness class when I said, "enough is enough"...I told myself that I needed to lose these outrageously big arms (I know we can't spot reduce) AND I needed more strength and stamina to lift myself and keep pace with the rest of the class. I was 33 pds overweight ...although I didn't necessarily look it - I FELT it...Now I am 13 pds down with 20 more to go!
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    I signed up to go skydiving. Except, oh look, I was over the weight limit for women.
    That was humiliating, and the fact that my weight was now getting me excluded from activities that I wanted to take part in was definitely a big motivator to drop the poundage.
    I am 27 lbs down now (and under the skydiving weight limit!), with about 45 to go. It was a good decision, embarrassing though the realization was.
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Like the majority of you there were lots of things leading up to my 'AH-HA' moment. I couldn't wear my largest jeans anymore, I was getting out of breath going upstairs, my osteopath commented on my weight gain. The biggest motivation was when I found out my ex had cheated on me for 6 months which in my head I decided it was because I was too fat for someone to commit to. But the 'Ah-ha' moment itself was when I decided I needed to treat myself better at work instead of getting so stressed out. I decided to quit and spend 6 months giving my brain a rest and looking after myself.

I first of all went on Noom and discovered forums and developed an incredible support network. Then migrated across to mfp with a lot of them. Taking the time out to look after myself is something I had never had the luxury to do before. I had seen my dad do it and therefore knew it was possible. Also made great friends in my gym classes which keep me coming back week after week. Even coming back to work I have readjusted my life style to prevent me going backwards

My mindset at the moment is all about the small achievements and goals and always having something to aim for, whether the next pound lost or a new 5k PB. Doing it before I got overwhelmed by the amount I had to go. This time I'm never looking more than 10lb ahead and how to get to that point :smile: My mind has worked out how to do this and I keep working at it.
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    It's totally superficial, but my ah-ha moment was when I was the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding. Instead of actually celebrating with her, I was more concerned about being the fat bridesmaid, and ruining her photos.

This was another Ah-ha moment for me too!