too much

maryheath
maryheath Posts: 3
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, This is Mary- Does anyone know if you can exercise too much and then you don't lose weight?
Thanks

Replies

• I can't give you a definitive answer, but I would think not. Exercise is good for you, always!! But as with anything, I'm sure you could really get psychologically and perhaps even physically dependent upon it, much like coffee. Just watch yourself and be smart. :)
  • juan gear
    juan gear Posts: 10 Member
    maryheath wrote:
    Hi, This is Mary- Does anyone know if you can exercise too much and then you don't lose weight?
    Thanks

It can cause injurys or you will notice you are getting sick more. I work hard for three weeks going harder each week then take the fourth off and rest, just a little yoga to stay loose.

Have found over the years rest is training the body needs to heal
  • Sunshine779
    Sunshine779 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi,

My trainer says you can do cardio 7 days a week, but for most people 6 is a good max so they don't get burnt out.

In general, more excercise is better exercise but the only things you need to worry about are:

1. Injury
    2. Mental fatigue

If you're feeling burnt out, or are in physical pain (not just tired) you should slow down or take a short break. However, don't take too long of a break! You'll fall back into a slump.

If you are doing weight lifting and resistance exercises (which you should to stay toned!) then do them every other day, or every few days. Your body needs rest from these so that the muscles can be built up (weight lifting actually breaks down muscles, then rest lets them build up stronger than they were before!).

So in summary, no you cannot exercise to the point where you won't lose weight. However, increase your physical activity gradually so you don't feel burnt out or you don't hurt your body (which of course would also make you feel a bit burnt out). If possible, sign up for a trainer. It can just be a monthly or even bi-monthly visit but they will be a very valuable resource to help you achieve your goals and to avoid injury. Most are only about $50 an hour and can be found at almost any gym.

Hope this helps!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Your body will do what you want it to do but you have to fuel it. If you are exercising a lot you have to make up some calories so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. Also if you have been doing the same exercises for a period of time your body (a fantastic machine) will get used to the activity and food intake and these are the moments in which we plateau.

Make sure you are eatting enough and giving your body one day a week to "recover", I know that it is hard because you don't want to stop but at least do a low impact exercise one day per week so your mucscles can recover from all the good you have been doing for them!
  • Abby
    Abby Posts: 13
    You need to be careful you aren't damaging your body with too much exercise and your body need a small amount of time to heal between exercising especially when strength training.

Most of us don't get enough exercise so to hear someone things they are getting too much is actually music to my ears. :)

If you think it's too much just cut back a little bit but keep up the great efforts!
This discussion has been closed.