I have an issue of eating peanut butter at night when I'm bored?

Replies

• sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    I didn't read all the posts, but I LOVE peanut butter and 2tablespoons is a tease. I made whipped pb one night and it's delicious. 2 T pb, coolwhip, whip it into a mousse, and dip apples. lasts a while and helped me with the i could eat the jar problem.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Xandistra wrote: »
    If you can't consume it in moderation don't keep it in the house. You can't eat it if it's not there. Reintroduce it to your diet once you feel able to control your portions.
    There's one problem wit that, I live with my parents and they're both obese and carry tons of junk food and refuse to buy healthy foods. If I was on my own I'd be good to go, but unfortunately that has to wait another year :(

Can you ask your parents to keep the peanut butter/snacks in a less convenient place? Like in their bedroom closet or junk drawer? If it is more difficult to get to, or you have to unlock it or ask for it, it may not be so easy to even start eating it.

This is a great idea! :)
  • Camomilejane
    Camomilejane Posts: 55 Member
    I would put a photo of myself next to the jar, and that will remind me that if I keep eating it, I will never get to where I want to be. I love eating marshmallow fluff, but if I buy it, I can't stop eating it, and I really want to keep my teeth!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited July 2015
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    I am all for personal responsibility and choices. But if every weight loss obstacle was as simple as "stop it" or "just don't" MFP wouldn't exist and we would all be healthy. That is not helpful. Get real.

They all said the same thing about the cigarettes, too, but y'know what? Every successful quitter one day just stopped and never picked up another. I put 'em down near 4 years ago. Just stopped and never picked up another.

Just stop.

Not one more spoonful.

Nothing else will work.

Nothing else *can* work, right?

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    I've had the exact same problem with PB... always just before going to bed, it was downright Pavlovian... I started making myself weigh out what I ate and log it - pretty soon it was clear that I was never going to achieve my goals with that behavior. Presenting myself with a PB vs. Goals CHOICE helped me to 'just quit'.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    *bows down to @DeguelloTex* For you are strong and we are weak! I'm glad your journey has been such a walk in the park.
    I guess you missed this bit: "No one claims 'just stopping' is inherently easy. Lots of things that need to be done aren't easy."
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Are you getting enough protein throughout the day? Sometimes I find myself craving peanut butter on my lower protein days.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 774 Member
    I am all for personal responsibility and choices. But if every weight loss obstacle was as simple as "stop it" or "just don't" MFP wouldn't exist and we would all be healthy. That is not helpful. Get real.

They all said the same thing about the cigarettes, too, but y'know what? Every successful quitter one day just stopped and never picked up another. I put 'em down near 4 years ago. Just stopped and never picked up another.

Just stop.

Not one more spoonful.

Nothing else will work.

Nothing else *can* work, right?

In cigarettes case.. Yes. I am 1.5 years smoke free. Quitting smoking is so hard BUT I do feel my relationship with food is more difficult. Food is something you have to face every single day to survive. I feel food choices that are in your cabinet and in your face daily are harder to handle. You don't need cigarettes to live and face your relationships with them every single day. Atleast not over time for me. Congrats on quitting!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    OK so don't ... "just don't do that" ... and be sure to let us know how that works out, right?

HINT: It's not gonna, mmm-kay?

If you want to stop, you have to ... well ... stop.
  • Xandistra
    Xandistra Posts: 14 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    okay so every night I'll find myself eating 500kcals worth of peanut butter even though I'm not hungry...

Go to sleep.

Or do something active.

Or don't buy the stuff.

Problem solved...
    You helped me realize something! I was very tired whenever I would do this, but thanks to everybodies helpful advice tonight is the first night in ages I haven't gone all out on PB :)
  • Xandistra
    Out of curiosity, how many calories are you eating during the day? Do you eat PB during the daytime at all or is it something you're trying to swear yourself off of simply because it's calorie dense? Lot of really judgey, unhelpful comments in this thread for some reason. :|
    Today I've tried upping my calories, I used to only eat 500~900 every day. ( my bulimia turned into binge eating) I swear it off due to high fat and calorie density. Today I ate 1,150 so I've felt so much better!!!
  • Xandistra
    If you don't buy it you wont eat it!!!

Recently I developed a PB craving too which is odd because I never liked it much in the past. It doesn't matter if it's regular, whipped, or PB2... I will overeat it at night. So PB is banned from my house. At GNC they have sample pack of Quest PB shakes. This is currently my answer to PB cravings. It's so delicious I can't even believe it.

Same! I used to NEVER eat PB! I'm trying to get my parents to get it out, but I have 3 younger sisters and they eat it everyday at lunch. They told me I didn't need to lose weight and that its okay I eat that much PB. I'll have to try I pass a GNC on my bike route, so I'll pick it up tomorrow :)
  • Xandistra
    OK so don't ... "just don't do that" ... and be sure to let us know how that works out, right?

Are you getting enough protein throughout the day? Sometimes I find myself craving peanut butter on my lower protein days.
    Hm, I didn't think about that! I should try to eat beans more often :) thanks !
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Out of curiosity, how many calories are you eating during the day? Do you eat PB during the daytime at all or is it something you're trying to swear yourself off of simply because it's calorie dense? Lot of really judgey, unhelpful comments in this thread for some reason. :|
    Today I've tried upping my calories, I used to only eat 500~900 every day. ( my bulimia turned into binge eating) I swear it off due to high fat and calorie density. Today I ate 1,150 so I've felt so much better!!!

How many calories does MFP tell you to eat? if 1150 is high for you that's a good start but you should be eating more than 1200 at the very least.
  • MemiJones
    MemiJones Posts: 5 Member
    I had a giant weakness for processed extra crunchy peanut butter. I could eat e embarassing amounts of it without even realizing. I switched to fresh ground peanuts or almonds, it's peanut butter with no added ingrediants. It was allot easier for me to not overeat it, I think it may be because it didn't have all of the fats and sugars that make your brain light up like "oh hey, let's have all of that!" Also, if you were to overeat it, it wouldn't have been quite as bad because it's allot healthier.

There are allot of really great suggestions here. Quite a few of them are asking your parents to buy a slightly different product. I just wanted to add my 2¢
  • Xandistra
    Maybe eating peanut butter is just more important to you than losing weight.
    This sentence has helped me a lot today! For one instance... I was at the theatre with my sisters and they offered me buttery popcorn and bam a question came to my head. "Is eating this popcorn now more important than losing weight?" No it isn't, so I stayed chewing gum :) I know some people might find what you said "rude" but sometimes you need somebody to slap you in the face and get your *kitten* together. Thank you !
  • Xandistra
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It sounds like a habit and a comfort food. I'd replace the habit with something else. How about taking up crochet or knitting? Every time you think peanut butter pick up the needles. Keeps the hands busy and introduces a new habit.

http://www.yarnspirations.com/how-to-arm-knitting

Peanut butter and yarn are mutually incompatible.
    Wonderful idea! I have no hands-on hobbies and it's so easy for me just to eat while I watch animes, draw, or listen to music. I have some crocheting stuff in my attic :3

• Xandistra
    If your parents won't stop buying it, you might need to ask them to store it somewhere that you can't access it but they can.

Also, make sure you are eating plenty of fat and calories during the day and leaving room for a snack at night. It is okay to eat in evening, or even eat peanut butter. Nothing wrong with that, unless you end up eating more calories than you burn. So plan out your food so you are properly fed during the day but have room for a snack at night. People who binge eat sometimes restrict themselves too much afterward to make up for it, which can trigger a new eating binge when they are starved. Then restrict again, binge again, It is a vicious cycle. So if you are skipping meals and going into evening feeling starved and allowing no calories to eat, you need to fix that to break the cycle.

Finally, you say you are eating while bored. Why are you bored? Is there some better way you can spend your time in the evening, like maybe going for a walk? Calling a friend? Getting a hobby? Figure out how to plan your schedule so you are too busy or interested in what you are doing to eat. Find a way to deal with this boredom that doesn't involving eating high calorie foods.
    Today was a big wake up call for me, I noticed I was restricting waaaay too much.
    Not enough fat or protein. I'm going to research inexpensive ways I can incorporate those types of food into my diet :)

Thanks for some suggestions! I really appreciate it, i guess I just have way too much free time for my own good and why waste it in a destructive manner? I really appreciate your help :)
  • Xandistra

How many calories does MFP tell you to eat? if 1150 is high for you that's a good start but you should be eating more than 1200 at the very least.

1,200. I had some gum today, so it probably got me really close to 1,200.
  • Xandistra

Your cold-turkey smoking story was very inspirational!
    I'm glad there were 2 or so people who gave me the "just put it down" type answers.
    Along with the suggestions for new hobbies and alternatives, I know I can really stop doing this to myself :)
    Thanks a bunch!