Looking to gain good weight

anyone looking to gain, what is a good food to turn to for extra calories? Current weight 220. Currently eating 4200 calories daily
Thanks in advance for advice

Replies

• FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Are you looking to lean out?
  • greg88rosen
    greg88rosen Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm looking for the unicorn... Clean bulking
    4 meals in my day consist of white rice, chicken, vegetables. Breakfast is eggs, turkey bacon, oatmeal and snacks are ground beef, protein shakes, bananas and the rest is whatever I need to fill the rest of the calories. Trying to get to 240 THEN lean out.
    Thanks for replying
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    there is no good food or bad food, just good and bad diets.

get your food from nutrient dense sources like chicken, fish, rice vegetables, but if you need to consume over 4200 calories then you are going to need calorie dense foods like ice cream, cookies, bagels, pasta, etc. Just make sure you are hitting micros and macros

you might also want to look into some mass gainer shakes if you are having a problem eating that much.

• greg88rosen
    I have a protein shake 250 calories before the gym, after workout and before bed. I can eat more pasta and bagels but trying to avoid the cookies haha.
  • ndj1979
    I have a protein shake 250 calories before the gym, after workout and before bed. I can eat more pasta and bagels but trying to avoid the cookies haha.

all I will say is that in the context of an overall diet that is meeting nutritional calories there is nothing wrong with cookies….

I mean two servings of talenti gelato is about 500 calories and that is easy to get down, right?
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Food timing/source is irrelevant OP. Just make sure you are hitting your required surplus every day, trying not to go over very much (will just lead to excess fat), and hitting your protein minimum. That is it. You can get swole eating whatever as long as you keep your macros in check (although you might want to eat some fruit and veggies for overall health). You should be gaining 0.5lbs a week. Every 5lbs you gain, recalc your TDEE. Pretty simple process.

Scooby will tell you what you should set your TDEE for if you don't know: scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • greg88rosen
    Haven't weighed myself since I started. Been about a week. Going to weigh myself to check progress tomorrow. I'll check out the link. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    I'm looking for the unicorn... Clean bulking
    4 meals in my day consist of white rice, chicken, vegetables.

Just to double check, you know clean bulking is not about what you eat but about how much you eat?
    Because seriously, 4 meals a day of rice chickens and vegetables sounds absolutely boring.
    It doesn't all have to be cookies and ice cream, but there is room for variatie.
  • greg88rosen
    It's extremely boring and funny enough I was just thinking that as I eat chicken and rice right now.
    I currently eat 4200 calories daily so I good on the amount but it's WHAT I'm eating that I'm looking to change. Bored of the same old routine. I'll take any recipe ideas!!
  • lilbitoftrouble
    lilbitoftrouble Posts: 2,052 Member
    I like peanut butter on toast with syrup. It's not much but it's a start.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Sometimes I really wish you guys would know Dutch. Our supermarket releases 12 new recipe cards every month for free, and there are always some really good recipes in there.
    You are basically free to eat anything, so Google some recipes with your favorite foods.
    Currently I'm all into eggplant with goats cheese and bulgur, but also love risotto and anything mexican inspired.
  • greg88rosen
    Well all of that sounds way better than what I'm used to
    I'll have to figure out some new recipes before I go crazy over this bland chicken
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    OP, If your wanting to gain 20 more pounds while leaning out, it takes more attention to your diet. However, if you looking to get to 240 then lean out, it would be faster. Once you reach your required weight, start to slowly cut your calories back and make sure you give your body at least the minimum proteins to maintain your current LBM. For me personally, when trying to lean out I eat lean cuts of meats and stay away from as much sugars as possible. That's up to you though.
  • greg88rosen
    Just looking to gain weight in general, once I find a good weight I'll lean out again but for now, the weight I gain of like to be pretty clean.
  • greg88rosen
    So after a week of eating over 4000 calories I lost a pound.. Are my workouts too long? Burning too many calories? Can't imagine that I need to intake MORE food
    Should I eat more starchy foods like pasta?
  • ndj1979
    So after a week of eating over 4000 calories I lost a pound.. Are my workouts too long? Burning too many calories? Can't imagine that I need to intake MORE food
    Should I eat more starchy foods like pasta?

up your calories by 100 per day and see what happens.

what is your training regimen like?

Here is a list of some calorie dense foods:

bagels
    pasta
    avocado
    ice cream
    cookies
    full fat yogurt and cottage cheese
    whole milk
    rice is pretty calorie dense
    fatty cuts of meat like rib eyes

• greg88rosen
    New to lifting? Haha nah
    I think the amount of calories I need may be distorted by the workout routine I'm currently following which is causing me to burn too many calories.. May need to up it to around 4200 daily
    I'll weigh myself next week and check

Max:
    Bench: 435
    Deadlift: 546
    Squat: 450

Monday: shoulder, tricep
    Tuesday: back
    Wednesday: off
    Thursday: chest, biceps
    Friday: legs
    Saturday: light back
    Sunday: off

If you want to see my actual routine I'll post that too. Took me a while to sketch one out