I have an issue of eating peanut butter at night when I'm bored?

1235»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    edited July 2015
    Xandistra wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many calories are you eating during the day? Do you eat PB during the daytime at all or is it something you're trying to swear yourself off of simply because it's calorie dense? Lot of really judgey, unhelpful comments in this thread for some reason. :|
    Today I've tried upping my calories, I used to only eat 500~900 every day. ( my bulimia turned into binge eating) I swear it off due to high fat and calorie density. Today I ate 1,150 so I've felt so much better!!!

How many calories does MFP tell you to eat? if 1150 is high for you that's a good start but you should be eating more than 1200 at the very least.

1,200. I had some gum today, so it probably got me really close to 1,200.

I have been mostly lurking on this thread because you have gotten the advice you asked for.

Almost 1200 is not the correct answer. At least 1200 is the correct answer. at least 0.45 grams of fat per pound of body weight. If on a deficit and trying to maintain lean mass, about 0.8 grams per pound of body mass. The rest whatever combination of carbs and fats makes you stay full longest and fulfills whatever other goals you may have.

Couple a thread where someone says she does not eat, much less net like she is supposed to, 1200 calories a day with a comment by her parents that she doesn't need to lose any more weight, if I read correctly further up, and a couple of flags go up.

1200 net calories after exercise is the minimum mfp recommends for women.

Lots of restrictions not eating 1200 and binging on peanut butter.... that sounds really good and sustainable... ..
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    OP, are you currently in therapy for your ED?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Maybe eating peanut butter is just more important to you than losing weight.
    This sentence has helped me a lot today! For one instance... I was at the theatre with my sisters and they offered me buttery popcorn and bam a question came to my head. "Is eating this popcorn now more important than losing weight?" No it isn't, so I stayed chewing gum :) I know some people might find what you said "rude" but sometimes you need somebody to slap you in the face and get your *kitten* together. Thank you !
    That's very cool. A lot of choices have to be made every day and keeping your priorities in mind while making them can often help.

I'm not big on motivational catch-phrases, but "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now" holds a fair amount of truth, imo.

• cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    This sentence has helped me a lot today! For one instance... I was at the theatre with my sisters and they offered me buttery popcorn and bam a question came to my head. "Is eating this popcorn now more important than losing weight?" No it isn't, so I stayed chewing gum :) I know some people might find what you said "rude" but sometimes you need somebody to slap you in the face and get your *kitten* together. Thank you !
    That's very cool. A lot of choices have to be made every day and keeping your priorities in mind while making them can often help.

I'm not big on motivational catch-phrases, but "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now" holds a fair amount of truth, imo.

This makes me feel better about just turning down a delicious looking, warm cinnamon roll with white icing oozing all over it fresh from the bakery! My co workers are cruel. hahahaha

• LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    edited July 2015
    Caitwn wrote: »
    OP, are you currently in therapy for your ED?

There is exactly zero indication that the OP has an eating disorder. I find it very ironic that you're here railing against the 'mean people' who actually shared simple, straightforward, and helpful feedback and yet you're willing to go so far as to DIAGNOSE the OP based on one post about a pretty minor issue.

That's irresponsible.

..OP said she was bulimic and it turned into binge eating. I would really advise fully reading a thread before accusing someone of something like that.
    Today I've tried upping my calories, I used to only eat 500~900 every day. ( my bulimia turned into binge eating) I swear it off due to high fat and calorie density. Today I ate 1,150 so I've felt so much better!!!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You want to eat peanut butter. Before every bite you take, remind yourself, "I want this, so I'm eating it."

Until you start realizing that all your food choices are CHOICES and not things that are out of your control, this will continue. For a while, you have to remind yourself that you're choosing every bite,

Once you accept that you choose it (and it will take a while), you can't choose not to.

Good luck. :)

This is an exercise our weight loss therapist suggested. It is more empowering than we might imagine to own our choices. It's the middle step from picking a different choice next time. Or perhaps cutting the snack down to a reasonable size. It's all us.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    okay so every night I'll find myself eating 500kcals worth of peanut butter even though I'm not hungry, and it'll sometimes lead to a full out binge. How can I help break this habit? I've gained 15lbs over the past 3months because of it :(
    Stop eating peanut butter even though you're not hungry.

Also do not eat once you've reached your daily calorie goal.
  • jonascimermanas
    jonascimermanas Posts: 1 Member
    For me personally there's certain foods that I can not stop eating once I start and it leads to a binge , it's has been a very painful experience throughout the years and I eventually came to terms that I'm a compulsive overeater, in other words, food addiction (sugar in my case) and compulsive overeating exist as conditions and it's not just gluttony or lack of willpower. If anyone's struggling with not being able to stop I'm happy to chat and there's self help groups like Overeaters Anonymous where help is available :) Take care
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    DanniB423 wrote: »

I saw those as helpful suggestions for alternatives vs a blatant and dry "don't/stop". That's all.

Exactly. Simply saying "just stop" isn't helpful. How about actually giving suggestions HOW to stop? Food compulsions are just that, and acting like a compulsion is something we just instantly know how to deal with is simplifying a problem. It's a learning process that takes time. Why not offer some of the ways YOU dealt with food compulsions? It's a heck of a lot more helpful than saying "just stop." Also the "Maybe eating peanut butter is just more important to you than losing weight." was also incredibly unhelpful and came across as judgey, to whoever claimed no one was making unhelpful or judgmental comments.

Just because you don't think it's helpful doesn't mean nobody else will. A lot of times what's needed is a change of perspective.

Case in point.
  • mgoddard1527
    mgoddard1527 Posts: 20 Member

I love this!!! Going to print it where I can see it often.....
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Out of curiosity, how many calories are you eating during the day? Do you eat PB during the daytime at all or is it something you're trying to swear yourself off of simply because it's calorie dense? Lot of really judgey, unhelpful comments in this thread for some reason. :|

BIG red flags here! How tall are you and what do you weigh? Are you within a health range for your height? Why do you want to lose weight, and how much do you want to lose? Maybe your body is craving higher fat foods because you are underweight!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You want to eat peanut butter. Before every bite you take, remind yourself, "I want this, so I'm eating it."

Until you start realizing that all your food choices are CHOICES and not things that are out of your control, this will continue. For a while, you have to remind yourself that you're choosing every bite,

Once you accept that you choose it (and it will take a while), you can't choose not to.

Good luck. :)

Some time in the future, I might try this with a pint (16 ounces) of Ben & Jerry's and see if doing this helps me to stop eating earlier. For now, I'm going to stick with buying the 4 ounce containers.

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    okay so every night I'll find myself eating 500kcals worth of peanut butter even though I'm not hungry

Been there, done that. For me it was an indication of depression and not hunger. How did I stop? I told myself that peanut butter would be my treat once a week. That was six months (30 lbs) ago and now I rarely eat it - not that there is anything wrong with it. Once it awhile when I'm well below my daily calorie goal I will eat it. Good luck.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I LOVE peanut butter! I can't keep it in the house, though, because I have the same problem.

Creamy4LYFE.