Introduce yourself

mamarundrc
mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
Welcome to the 30 somethings group! We are a group of people looking to be healthy while cruising through our 30's. If you have been here a while, feel free to re-introduce yourself as we have many members who are not active within the group. New to the group, let us know a little bit about yourself so we can support you in the best way we can.

Replies

• mamarundrc
    My name is Danielle (Dani) and I am 35 years old. I live in Central Mass, am married and have 2 kids (5 and 2 1/2). I have been a member of MFP for 4 years and am constantly amazed at how much this site has helped me change my life. I used to think that health was all about being skinny and weighing less. I know longer believe that is true. I want to be strong, physically and mentally. As much as I would love to meet my goal of 150 lbs, I am happy with the progress I have made thus far.

For exercise I run, hike, and compete in Obstacle Course races (Spartan, Tough Mudder and other less known local races). I have found a passion for OCR. It has helped me become a more confident person and to start to view myself as an athlete. It is a total body workout that requires both physical and mental strength. I have met some amazing people and found amazing support through the races as well.

In my "spare time" I enjoy boating (or anything water related, reading, and cooking.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Jumping in with a reintroduction. My name is Patrick and I am 31, married to a wonderful wife with two boys ages 3.5 and 2. I've been using mfp on and off for a couple of years now but have buckled down for about the past year and have been more consistent which has definitely helped since food is my weakness.

For exercise I really like to pick up heavy things and for cardio I like to pick up heavy things faster. I actually like to run as long as it isn't very fast and I have a passion for obstacle mud runs. I am going for the Spartan 2015 trifecta with the Spartan beast in November in Dallas. If anyone else feels like joining in just let me know and I'll give you our team name.

Other than that feel free to add me at any time. I'm fairly active and always full of BS...or on occasion supportive encouragement.
  • kywy84
    kywy84 Posts: 20 Member
    My name is Kylene. I am 30 years old and live in Ontario, Canada. I have been on and off again with mfp for the past year or so. I have decided that it is time to take my weight loss very seriously since I have a lot to lose. I am single and have finally decided to use that to my advantage and actually focus on trying to take care of me instead of trying to please others all the time who just want to use you and make you feel small. Just yesterday I decided that if I want to make this one work, I should try and do something out of the norm for me and that was to try and use the groups and the message board to encourage others and be encouraged in this journey.
  • mamarundrc
    Azercord wrote: »
    Jumping in with a reintroduction. My name is Patrick and I am 31, married to a wonderful wife with two boys ages 3.5 and 2. I've been using mfp on and off for a couple of years now but have buckled down for about the past year and have been more consistent which has definitely helped since food is my weakness.

For exercise I really like to pick up heavy things and for cardio I like to pick up heavy things faster. I actually like to run as long as it isn't very fast and I have a passion for obstacle mud runs. I am going for the Spartan 2015 trifecta with the Spartan beast in November in Dallas. If anyone else feels like joining in just let me know and I'll give you our team name.

Other than that feel free to add me at any time. I'm fairly active and always full of BS...or on occasion supportive encouragement.

Spartan trifecta is on my bucket list or next year! My plan is to volunteer at the mass races this year to get enough free races to trifecta for free next year. Great having you here in this group!
  • mamarundrc
    kywy84 wrote: »
    My name is Kylene. I am 30 years old and live in Ontario, Canada. I have been on and off again with mfp for the past year or so. I have decided that it is time to take my weight loss very seriously since I have a lot to lose. I am single and have finally decided to use that to my advantage and actually focus on trying to take care of me instead of trying to please others all the time who just want to use you and make you feel small. Just yesterday I decided that if I want to make this one work, I should try and do something out of the norm for me and that was to try and use the groups and the message board to encourage others and be encouraged in this journey.

Glad to have you on board. This journey is really about finding yourself and learning how to be a healthier version of yourself. Having supportive people who have been through similar struggles can make all the difference. On of my strongest lines of support comes from a group of women I met on MFP when first started. Use these boards to your advantage. Supporting others and finding your support makes things a lot easier to stick to! Welcome!
  • SamC_2015
    SamC_2015 Posts: 4 Member
    My name is Sam (female), and I'm pretty new here. This is my first post.

I was not an overweight child/teenager, but I gained a lot of weight around age 19 due to some personal difficulties. I spent about a decade overweight (at times obese). I piddled around with various diet plans (Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem) throughout that period, but I couldn't get serious and stay focused. What finally kicked me into gear for good was my upcoming 30th birthday. This past November, it occurred to me that I would turn 30 in June, and I realized that unless I lost weight, I would have spent my entire 20's fat and self-conscious about my appearance.

I lost over 60 lbs and reached my goal weight before joining MFP. When I found myself staring at my ideal number on the scale, yet not fully happy with what I saw in the mirror, I realized a number and a size aren't everything. I still have a very unhealthy relationship with food, so I got started on this site to learn how to maintain my weight long-term and develop healthy eating and exercise habits.

I'm single, and although part of the explanation for that is my genuine aversion to relationships, I have to admit that my weight had a lot to do with my lack of interest in dating. I'm trying to practice clean eating and other healthy habits. For exercise I jog some and do workout DVDs. I always thought the hardest part would be losing the weight, but I'm finding that keeping it off and permanently changing my lifestyle will be the bigger challenges. Glad to be here.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Hi! I'm Laura, I'm 34, I teach high school in Portland, OR and I'm married with a dog.

Activities I enjoy - swimming, yoga, kayaking
    What gets in the way? Work. I'm a total workaholic, it's true. So right now, my goal is to get my life straightened out and start putting myself and my health first - which also includes my family.

My immediate weight loss goal is 25 pounds away. I have an appt with my dr to determine a good, healthy goal weight but I think it will likely be another 15-25 pounds from my immediate goal.
  • GatsbyMonroe
    GatsbyMonroe Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi, I am 31 years old and have been using MFP not consistently for quite a while now. I am finally ready to focus on me and have committed to sticking with it. I have been obese for 24 years that I can remember. I was a skinny child until the age of 7 when for whatever reason I gained 100 lbs. in less than a year. Since then it has continued to pile on and I am now topping 300 lbs. and am 5'1" tall. I have had a series of personal "tragedies" in the past 3 years and am finally ready to quit playing the woe is me card and stand up and fix what I don't like about myself. The hardest part for me is getting the motivation to start working out. I can safely say I like to be comfortable and have never really pushed myself to exit that comfort zone. I am looking for people of like mind to support each other.
  • mamarundrc
    Welcome Sam, Laura, and Gatsby!

@SamC_2015: I completely understand how your can reach your goal weight and be miserable and unhealthy. 3 years ago I was ~10-12 pounds lighter and was completely unhappy. I would indulge in crap and then starve myself to make up for it. It took a lot of work and soul searching but now I am stronger and happier eventhough I am technically heavier. I just went to the doctor's last month and had the best blood work numbers ever and told me to come back in 2 years. That to me is more important then the number on the scale. Keep working at it and you will figure it out!

@LauraRae2 I always tell people that getting laid off was the best thing that happened to me from a health standpoint. I was working 60 hours a week and not sleeping, eating crap and stressed. I couldn't see what it was doing to me until I lost my job and took a long hard look at what it did to me. I was out of work for 18 months and was able to re-prioritize before I went back to work. I hope you find away to swing the balance. It sounds like you are heading on the right track!

@GatsbyMonroe Getting out of your comfortable. I once went to a seminar and the man running it said "If you want to be happy get comfortable with being uncomfortable". For me, it is a social anxiety issue. I despise meeting new people and being in crowds. I decided to heed his wisdom and I joined an Obstacle course Racing community. The first few times I went to events I was so nervous and strung out that I almost was physically ill. Now I don't know what I would do without the group. Some of the women I have met have taught me how to be more confident and help me discovered a strength in myself I didn't know possible. Start small and push the boundaries of your comfort zone. As your comfort zone expands, a new world of possibilities will open!
  • stilljeffintx
    stilljeffintx Posts: 92 Member
    I'm 35 years old and live in Texas. I have been on MFP for the past 3.5 years or so. At one point, I had lost one hundred pounds but gained back about 35-40 due to a knee injury and other stresses. I have been back on the wagon again for a few weeks now and am already down 12 lbs. I exercise every day and have tried to add more strength training to this round of fitness. My problem is that I have difficulty maintaining a weight when I get to a goal. This time, I'm not going to have a goal. I'm going to keep my foot on the gas pedal for good.
  • Rheameg
    Rheameg Posts: 71 Member
    Hello, I'm Megan. I'm a 30.5 year old (so barely 30). I'm at the point that I want to get my life together. I'm 100lbs heavier than I was in highschool when I thought I was fat. So I'm hoping to lose 120lbs at some point. So far I've changed my diet and actually love it, but I'm about to throw in some exercise. I'm start small and make habits before jumping to hard too fast.

Personally, I'm a writer in my free time and work with the elderly and disabled professionally. I'd love to find some friends who are interested.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    I am back on mfp after a long break. 33, have 2 kids, am looking to lose at least 30lbs. I would love to find some mfp friends who run. I am trying to regain my enthusiasm for it after being lazy for the last year.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Hi! I'm 32 and I am starting all of this again. This is the 3rd time I have come back to try to lose this stupid weight. Something always seems to happen and I lose motivation. I really want this to work and I really NEED this to work this time. I am starting at 268.2 pounds, I have 123 pounds to lose. It is time to get serious.

I have 3 wonderful (most of the time) kids. My daughter is 13, and my two boys are 10 & 6. My husband and I have been married for 14 years. My family is very supportive of me getting healthy. I currently work part-time but am looking for a full-time job since all my kiddos are in school.

I just got a treadmill today because I seem to have better luck losing weight if I am walking/jogging as my exercise. I will probably dig out my Jillian Michaels DVDs at some point but I would like to lose a little first to make those easier.

Last year I had a hysterectomy and it took me awhile to get my energy back to feel up to exercising. I have been heavy most of my life with little spaces here and there where I was at healthy weights but after my surgery I gained and gained until I reached the heaviest ever at 275lbs. Even pregnant I was never at 275. After a High Blood Pressure scare I cut back to one soda a day and lost to 268 which is where I currently am.

Sorry for the novel. Just looking for some friends to help motivate me and keep me moving.

• elguapo612
    elguapo612 Posts: 14 Member
    Hey everyone, I'm 38 and started using MFP last December. Since high school I've always weighed around 185, give or take. After finding out that my blood pressure was a little high I decided to try to get healthier, especially since I have two young daughters that I'm a single dad to. MFP really helped me be aware of my intake. I also do a lot of running and biking around the lakes in my city along with some lifting. I recently added a Fitbit Charge HR which is giving me some new motivation to keep on working out and losing weight. There's not a particular weight I have targeted, mainly I just want to keep up these eating and exercise habits and wherever they take me is where I'll be. It would be great to add some friends here or on my Fitbit profile at https://www.fitbit.com/user/3L6G5Y so feel free!
  • RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Hello everyone. I just turned 36 this month. I am from Western Kentucky. Married with one son. I'm currently doing a C25K training along with a 30 day challenge with my 13 yr old son. I also have recently purchased a bike and have started to re-learn how to ride. It's been at least 20 years since I've been on a bike. I can use all the support I can get. I also have a fitbit zip. I love seeing how many steps I take during the day and trying to make it to 10K. Anyone can add me as a friend on here or on fitbit. https://www.fitbit.com/user/23KSKJ
  • Erino505
    Erino505 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello! My name is Erin and I live in Oregon, where I'm embarking on a career change by starting law school this fall. I'm brand new to the city, and have made only a few friends so far....which means the majority of my time is spent on screens, or alone in the gym. I love spin and yoga, but am finding it hard to be as active as in my previous job (waiting tables, restaurant management). I'm looking for some friends to help me make this transition healthier, and I've realized there's just no way to get as many steps in as a busy shift will give you!
  • Anj3lita
    Anj3lita Posts: 11 Member
    Hello I'm Angie. I'm 34. I have three kids and they don't help with trying to get away from the junk food. My boyfriend doesn't help he's always bring it isn't my house. I do a pretty good job when I'm at work, because I take only healthy options. When I get home and I'm hungry is when I mess up the day and feel guilty. anyway if there's anything you want to know about me please ask and I need friends on here so feel free to add me.

• mamarundrc
    Welcome all that have posted in the last week! I was on vacation and it was great to come back and see this board lit up with intros! There is a miles challenge posted as as well as a weight loss challenge, Feel free to join in for extra support. Also, feel free to add me as a friend, I am on everyday (unless away for vacation).
  • ashes2ashes83
    ashes2ashes83 Posts: 17 Member
    Hey everyone! I'm Ashley, 31, two kids (aged 8 and 5), two black labs, and an awesome partner. I teach high school in Labrador, Canada. I did MFP a couple years ago with success but have fallen off the rails and am trying to get back on track. I'd like to lose 50lbs to get back to my pre-children weight, and to boost my energy. Feel free to add me!
  • rebeccatherine
    rebeccatherine Posts: 112 Member
    Hello! I'm Becca, 31, from Minnesota. I've lost around 65 pounds since my heaviest weight several years ago, but I haven't been able to get past that in the last couple of years so I'm trying new things to finally finish my weight loss journey.
    I have a desk job where I sit a lot of the time, so I'm always trying to get moving. Love going for long walks. Currently doing a Couch to 5K program. I have a Fitbit One, and you can find me at https://www.fitbit.com/user/35DXHD.