• LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Welcome Diane...glad you joined us.
  • vinyladdict
    vinyladdict Posts: 85 Member
    Name: Ed
    Weight: 335 (highest 435)
    Height: 6'5"
    Struggles: Food of course, but alcohol/beer.
    Goal: 250
    Feast Time: 4pm-8pm
    Start Date: 3/17/15

I have struggled with my weight since the age of 5 years old. In late 2009, I weighed 435 lbs, and began to incur diabetic symptoms. After being put on medicine in December, I researched weight loss and bought into the Medifast 5:1 system. In five months, I lost nearly 100 lbs, but my wallet lost nearly $1500. A small price to pay, but I was miserable. I never felt full, unless it was after slamming half a gallon of water. Coming home at the end of the day, knowing I was going to eat the same low calorie/low carbohydrate meal was exhausting. I'd hold my head in my hands at the edge of my bed for what seemed like an eternity debating on whether or not to hit up the Chinese buffet. I just wanted to feel full for once without the guilt.

Since 2010, I have yo-yo'd from 435 -> 325 -> 355 -> 285 -> 345 -> current day. My failures mainly stem from willpower and giving in when I shouldn't, than the methods being used to lose weight. Last summer I started OMAD after reading this blog and in two months lost around 30 lbs. I felt great, went on vacation to Mexico, came back, and fell into my old habits. Normally, I can stay focused if I don't drink alcohol, but being that I enjoy the feeling of having drinks, it always ended up with me in the kitchen like a starved bear.

So far, I am doing very well this time around. The way I feel about myself, as well as my relationship with food is inspiring. As a person who doesn't crave sweets, but vegetables and protein, success can only begin and end with myself. I love coming home and eating a large salad with many ingredients. Lettuce, spinach, jalapenos, bell peppers, wax peppers, cucumbers, shredded carrots, etc... Add in a nice portion of beef, chicken, pork, or fish, my mind and body gets a natural high that I can't explain. That delicious bottle of light Yuengling beer with dinner is wonderful. Eating like a king when everything is healthy and good for you rocks! I am FULL everyday!

I'm sleeping better, my mind is clear, and I have lots of energy. My wife is also along for the ride, so that makes this journey, our journey, better and easier.

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi, Ed.

I remember accepting your friend request. We sound a lot a like, actually. So glad you could join us.

OMAD will give you a new life. Just be prepared to never look back. And in about a year, you will find yourself adding back the larger quantities of foods you never thought you could. Follow my plan and curtail it to your lifestyle. Sounds like you are only starting to realize the high of self-mastery, but it gets much, much better. Your relationship with food will change on a core level.

Read the other posts here and remember that, at times, you have to make a deal with your hunger: "I can have x, but just not now." Life is about making deals, and our bodies are no different. But the ability to make sacrifices is paramount and balance is everything. Thankfully, it gets easier and easier with time.
  • toddrundgrenrocks
    toddrundgrenrocks Posts: 4 Member

Jenn (toddrundgrenrocks--knowing what this means ups your cool level in my eyes)
    226 (lost 6 pounds in 23 days so far, so SW was 232)
    5'2"
    Eating for reasons other than hunger!
    120-140 (it's been so long I'm really not sure)
    3-7 pm (Except for Thursdays when it's more like 12-3)
    March 7 (my 48th birthday eve)

I feel like my obsession with food could be over by eating OMAD. Mindlessly stuffing myself is not part of my day now. Sure, I'm hungry by dinner, but I see that as a good thing!

I think I will continue it even if I don't see a big loss because it is simplifying my life.
  • arguablysamson
    edited April 2015
    Jenn (toddrundgrenrocks--knowing what this means ups your cool level in my eyes)
    226 (lost 6 pounds in 23 days so far, so SW was 232)
    5'2"
    Eating for reasons other than hunger!
    120-140 (it's been so long I'm really not sure)
    3-7 pm (Except for Thursdays when it's more like 12-3)
    March 7 (my 48th birthday eve)

I feel like my obsession with food could be over by eating OMAD. Mindlessly stuffing myself is not part of my day now. Sure, I'm hungry by dinner, but I see that as a good thing!

I think I will continue it even if I don't see a big loss because it is simplifying my life.

Hi, Jenn. OMAD just makes sense on a hundred levels. Big welcome (and happy belated B-day -- I turn 41 on April 16th)!
  • qbanyto
    qbanyto Posts: 18 Member
    Good to see its still active.

So I lost 80lbs with Atkins / keto and figured I gain muscle and lose weight at the same time like MANY have in leangains. Basically 8 hour eating window/16 hour fast.

But I went with your approach and eating at 8 every night. But what *kitten* me up is the two graveyard shifts I have every week. It throws me off. So I think on those two days I'll have two meals consisting of 900 calories each (my limit is 1900 calories a day). And eat them writhing a 8 hour windows just for those two days.
  • arguablysamson
    qbanyto wrote: »
    Good to see its still active.

So I lost 80lbs with Atkins / keto and figured I gain muscle and lose weight at the same time like MANY have in leangains. Basically 8 hour eating window/16 hour fast.

But I went with your approach and eating at 8 every night. But what *kitten* me up is the two graveyard shifts I have every week. It throws me off. So I think on those two days I'll have two meals consisting of 900 calories each (my limit is 1900 calories a day). And eat them writhing a 8 hour windows just for those two days.

I did graveyard up till October of 2014. My meal was moved to between 5 and 9 PM and it worked out since I went to work from there. But however works best is fine; two days alternated is fine. Shift work (of all kinds) can throw a monkey-wrench into life, right?
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    ...Michael Foote
    ...6'2"
    ...Yoyo weight loss with constant hunger
    ...I believe 225-235. Very thick chest and legs
    ...Not sure, will start with suppers. 1830-ish
    ...06/30/2015

• shaytuck
    shaytuck Posts: 55 Member
    Shay
    212.8 (SW 223 - lost with lc diet)
    5'5
    140-155
    5-9
    TODAY

...any past struggles you've faced or are facing :

idk what's going on with my weight to be honest. I had a daughter in 2007 and gained 45 pounds and lost 30 of them putting me at 155. I was pretty fine with the extra 15 but in 2010 I go to the doctor and I'm 170 (biggest I had been since pregnancy). A year later I was at 198. I told myself I would never allow myself to get up to 200 and since I had a trip to Mexico on the horizon I joined a weight loss challenge at work and got down to 181 but as soon as that trip was over I was back up. I got on the scale this past Christmas and I was at 210 - I was depressed seeing that number. Two weeks later I moved from DC to California and started working out AND dieting yet I would only lose and regain the same 5-7 pounds. I was the matron of honor in my friend's wedding and when I saw the pictures, good God, I looked awful. I was at 223 on June 6. I was able to lose 11 pounds in three weeks but that's without eating carbs. I can't even look at a carb or I'll gain.

I'm not saying I wanna take on OMAD to pig out. I'm at a point where I truly do make smart decisions with my food but I hate having to completely remove foods out of my diet yet continue to cook them for my family. I'd rather sacrifice food during the day so I can eat HAPPILY with my family at night. I had been reading about intermittent fasting for awhile and was considering going 5:2 but I found a discussion yesterday about OMAD and it seemed to fit me better. Today is day one for me and I'm drinking my bulletproof coffee as I type. I pray I stick with this
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    ...your name: Christine
    ...your weight: 150-155 (haven't stepped on the scale in a few weeks...)
    ...your height: 5'1"
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing:
    the seemingly never ending struggle to find a plan and STICK with it! I've struggled w/my weight my entire life. I've lost w/ Weight Watchers, Atkins, Sugar Busters, South Beach... tried, but did not lose w/Slim Fast, Kashi or anything that tends to be hi-carb.
    About 8yrs ago I hit an all time high of 202 (and I'm 5'1"), lost about 40lbs on 2yrs of WW, gained 20 of those back in the next two yrs. Then with a lot of personal stuff going on, just started eating a LOT less and dropped down to 140, started exercising and got down to 125 for like a minute.... life came crashing around me and I quickly gained 30 again!! UGH!!!

I have PCOS and know I have a good bit of insulin resistance. I always do and feel sooo much better on a lower carb woe. Became intrigued with the Zero Carb lifestyle back in April. And while I feel like a million bucks most of the time: no cravings, great sleep, tons of energy, no acid reflux etc, I haven't really lost any weight or size. So... after reading a lot about intermittent fasting, I"ve found my way here and am very encouraged combine my zero, or very very low carb with OMAD!

oh... and I still struggle with the booze. Love to have a few drinks with hubby and friends, sometimes more than a few :#

...your goal weight range 120-125
    ...the time of your OMAD Currently late afternoon, may move into early evening
    ...and your OMAD start date. Today! 7.10.15
  • thisisashleys
    thisisashleys Posts: 8 Member
    ...your name or preferred username - Ashley
    ...your weight - 220
    ...your height - 5'7
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing
    I seem to have always struggled with food and weight loss. This seems to be a constant struggle and I am SICK and TIRED of struggling, so I am making a change. I struggle with motivation and constantly feeling deprived, which I don't like, so I am looking forward to seeing how OMAD changes that for me.
    ...your goal weight range - 135-150
    ...the time of your OMAD - Dinner, around 5pm
    ...and your OMAD start date. YESTERDAY, July 13th.

I also struggle with not drinking any alcohol Christine. I enjoy socially drinking, especially in the summer!
  • M_Foote
    shaytuck wrote: »
    Shay

Welcome! PLEASE keep posting as you go! Start a thread to note your progress. This style of eating has a LOT of detractors in the regular forums (as well as real life), and it is difficult to get useful advice on anything else once you are pegged as an "unhealthy, binge-eating, no-self-control" OMADer. . . .
  • M_Foote

Welcome!
  • GoMe10
    GoMe10 Posts: 3 Member
    ...your name or preferred username: Michelle

...your weight: July 1st - 183 Currently - 171!!!! The first week was a ton of water weight.

...your height: 5'3

...any past struggles you've faced or are facing: Emotional eating usually at night...Eating when I'm happy, sad, had a good day, had a bad day, celebrating, not celebrating. If you've been there I'm sure you understand. The ironic thing about OMAD is I'm eating my calories for dinner only however, because I haven't been eating during the day as well as at night my calories are in check! It's like having my cake and eating it too, literally; and I'm losing weight! What's even more exciting is that the guilty and shame I would normally feel at dinner time is gone because I know that what I'm doing is creating the change I want to see.

...your goal weight range: 125-115

...the time of your OMAD: 9ish...late I know but, that's what fits with my schedule.

...and your OMAD start date: 7/1/15
  • M_Foote
    Welcome to OMAD Michelle!
  • GoMe10
    GoMe10 Posts: 3 Member
    M_Foote wrote: »
    Welcome to OMAD Michelle!

Thanks!
  • dinneronly
    dinneronly Posts: 4 Member
    jo
    146lbs
    5'7"
    Goal is 135lbs
    Been doing OMAD for 4 days
    My meal is after 6pm

I weighed 164 about 4 years ago. I lost 35lbs with weight watchers and running. I don't run anymore, and I am sooooo sick of counting points and being obsessive about food. I can't get these ten pounds off. I was hungry the first day, but the last couple of days have been easy. I am probably over eating at night, but I think I will be able to reign myself in, once I get the hang of this. Right now it is helping me just get through the rest of the summer with guests and dinner parties almost every night. I am not counting calories right now, but I have read some confusing things....what are other women my age consuming? Help! Thanks!
  • kabrigail
    kabrigail Posts: 149 Member
    My Name is Karie
    My start weight was 250
    I'm 5'10"
    My goal weight range is 150-170
    I eat between 5pm and 6pm
    and I started 7/18/15

...any past struggles you've faced or are facing - Struggles I have faced.....well, my daughter was 18 years old and in high school and met a guy. She decided she wanted to move in with him and then they got married shortly after. It didn't take long before she disowned me and my family and I gained 70 pounds throughout the 2 years that we weren't speaking. She has finally come back around and is getting a divorce. But now I'm stuck with all this weight I gained. I am now trying to lose it. It was about a week before I started this diet and I was in the bathroom at work praying that I could lose weight in a way that was feasible for me. Something I could stick to. And then about a week later I found this OMAD diet and Yay!!!! I'm finally losing weight! Love it!!!!!

• M_Foote
    Welcome Jo and Karie!

Jo, I would suggest you check and see how many calories you can (do) fit on a plate and compare that to your recommended daily intake. A ten inch plate can hit 1500-1800 calories pretty easy with enough butter and cheese. . . Trust me, I know. Not saying you need to count calories all of the time, but it was nice for me to have a baseline idea of what I was eating. Helped me with the guilt from feeling so stuffed, as well.

Arguablysamson will probably check in on this thread tomorrow, he will be able to more clearly delineate how you might go about things. I do know he will suggest you not read and worry so much. My life is much simpler since I quit looking for other people to tell me how to eat.

Portion control is really easy with this method: Losing weight with a ten-inch plate of food? Keep going. No loss? Try an eight-inch plate. My wife eats a not-so-packed eight-inch plate and is doing well. She is only 5'3", though.

Karie, sorry to hear of your struggle, but happy to see you losing the weight!
  • M_Foote
    ADDER: I would sure appreciate seeing some more individual progress threads from you all! It might help me feel like less of an attention ***** to see some of you with a regularly updated thread. Plus, it would give others a better idea of how this works.