Does anyone have any clean carbs to recommend?

glassofroses
glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
I'm getting a bit stuck in a rut with the ones I'm eating so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? xoxo

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Vegetables.

If you're looking for something more starchy, then root vegetables in particular. Sweet potatoes, beets, swede, parsnips.... all yummy and full of carbohydrates.
  • glassofroses
    Oh, thanks! I completely forgot about swede. I love it mashed up with carrots usually, and actually, I'm having clean sweet potato chips/fries tonight. It;s my first time cooking them this way and I'm very excited. :smiley: xoxo
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Sweet potato fries are the best!!!
  • glassofroses
    I sprinkled a bit of cayenne on them for a kick but they were pretty amazing. Turkey was pretty good too. :smiley:
  • JenMesserAbs
    JenMesserAbs Posts: 1 Member
    Quinoa is one of my all time favorite carbs. Plus it's loaded with protein and aminos too :)
  • bl0nde_ambiti0n
    bl0nde_ambiti0n Posts: 14 Member
    roasted potatoes or roasted yams ?
  • Yogi18
    Yogi18 Posts: 1 Member
    Amaranth is great.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Tonight I am going to eat sweet potato with black bean enchiladas ( with fresh corn tortillas ) smothered with home made salsa verde. All natural with natural non-processed carbs, plus the beans and sweet potato also provide a fairly high amount of protein. As a side dish I am going to have vegetable stew and papaya. All complex carbs with a bit of healthy olive oil in the stew.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    I like crunchy things so sometimes I make crackers with lots of seeds in - I've called them Omega Crunchies :) Dead easy to make and silly cheap - flour and seeds of your choice .
  • glassofroses
    Thanks everyone, I'll have to check my FODMAP diet plan but they all sound amazing. I love black bean dip so it looks like it's time to learn to make it myself.

Last night I made a quinoa, tuna, sweetcorn risotto type thing with tomato and basil sauce -- definitely a keeper for winter. So filling and good for you.
  • giro629
    giro629 Posts: 17 Member
    Millet is delicious - slightly sweet. It's good tossed with grilled peppers, courgettes and mint or cilantro.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    It all sounds very yummy. But...what is a "swede"?
  • giro629
    giro629 Posts: 17 Member
    It all sounds very yummy. But...what is a "swede"?

Rutabaga

• tajuanapaige86
    tajuanapaige86 Posts: 1 Member
    Quinoa is the BEST!!!
  • TShultz69
    TShultz69 Posts: 16 Member
    Buckwheat groats!! Sounds gross but if you make a big batch you can eat it like oatmeal or as a savory side dish like brown rice :)
  • stacien223
    stacien223 Posts: 1 Member
    Ezekial sprouted grain bread....I always toast one slice and add a slice of Boars Head Vermont Cheddar cheese and a slice of Boars Head Buffalo Chicken breast...or PB2 peanut butter, or a slice of avacodo with garlic salt;) BUT you must toast it! I only like it toasted!!! Lots of protein in it and NO flour!!! It is in freezer section at store.
  • Ldarnell55
    Ldarnell55 Posts: 2 Member
    stacien223 wrote: »
    Ezekial sprouted grain bread....I always toast one slice and add a slice of Boars Head Vermont Cheddar cheese and a slice of Boars Head Buffalo Chicken breast...or PB2 peanut butter, or a slice of avacodo with garlic salt;) BUT you must toast it! I only like it toasted!!! Lots of protein in it and NO flour!!! It is in freezer section at store.

• Ldarnell55
    Ldarnell55 Posts: 2 Member
    Is Ezekial bread gluten free?
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    I love millet
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    Buckwheat ... I love Buckwheat and it cooks up into a really nice side when you toast them in a pan, add finely mince/dice carrot, celery, onion, garlic and saute them a few minutes, then add broth or water, cover and cook on low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the buckwheat groats are tender. Yumm!

PS -- add spice to your liking. Salt, pepper, herbs.