Just Came Back from Vacation....

...and ouch. Was only gone for 5 days and yet I gained 6 lbs. I'm really hoping that 3 of them are water weight from all the sodium I had (used yesterday as an excuse that I was "still on vacation" when I got a Wendy's Baconator for lunch and had Milk Duds for dinner, despite getting home at 10 am).

However, I AM proud of myself for jumping back on the wagon today!

Replies

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Same thing happened to me. I got it back together and 6 days later I'm back where I was prior to vacation.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    It's probably all water weight. To demonstrate, the bit circled is when I went on a 2 week holiday, and as you can see as soon as I got home it all disappeared and I was back to where I was before the holiday.

f1azPjK.png
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I don't understand why people always assume it's *all* water weight. It totally depends on how much people ate during their vacation. If they ate 1200 extra calories, they will not magically disappear as 'water weight'.

I typically gain 2 pounds during vacations, I did last year and I did this year again, which really isn't so bad considering it typically involves eating out for a week or more. It's never been over that, but I always come back during the time in my cycle when I drop water weight anyway (and let me tell you, driving 330 miles when you have to pee all the time just sucks).

OP, don't worry too much about it. Some of it will be water weight, for the rest, you will lose it in 2 weeks with a 500 calorie deficit (assuming you did indeed eat too much, otherwise yeah, it will be water weight).
  • elmoo21
    elmoo21 Posts: 23 Member
    eerrrggghhhh.... I have a 2 week all inclusive holiday coming up and am slighlty scared! I know I should show some self restraint but I get too excited and have to try everything and always over indulge!!!!

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Same thing here! (Overseas cruise, aka eat and drink in excess for 10 days). As this is a lifetime diet, I decided holidays were off limits for calorie control. If I wanted to drink 1200 calories in sugary cocktails, I was going to. If I wanted a second helping of desert, I would. If I wanted to get chicken breast and veggies, I would. I was hoping to gain no more than 2kgs. But the day after I got back, I was to get straight back into it.

I got on the scales the day I got off the cruise, and was apparently +4.5kgs.

Knowing some of this would have been the clothes I was wearing (Usually weigh in gym gear) & the fact I had been eating a ton of pastas, salty foods and had a belly stuffed of food, I didn't panic too much. A couple of days later, the scales was saying +2.5kgs and continued to drop over the days after.

I severely enjoyed my holiday (was 14 months overdue), didn't feel guilty and haven't seen much of a weight penalty. Yes, I did gain weight. But, I had a great time and am totally refreshed for eating at a deficit. In my opinion, as long as you get straight back up, it doesn't matter if you fall down a couple of times.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    I recently got back from a cruise followed a week later by an out of town wedding. I actually didn't gain much during the cruise because a) it was an "adventure cruise" with kayaking and hiking most days and b) my husband (aka food police) was with me. The wedding involved feasting and drinking and I'm too self concious to get up and dance it off.

The real problem came with the couple of weeks since these trips. My routine was snapped and I had a really difficult time restoring order to my eating and exercising. I am officially 10 lbs heavier today than the day before my trip.
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    As of this morning I'm down 2.2 lbs, so it looks like some of that was water weight. Hoping another lb comes off tomorrow and then I can deal with a 3 lb gain.

I did great the first day of vacation and just ate at maintenance. But then we went out to dinner the next night, and who can say no to a lobster roll and fries (and onion rings, and stuffed clams!) from a seaside New England restaurant? Once I "broke the seal", I ate with abandon the rest of the trip. Donuts, cheesecake, burgers, pasta...I consumed it all, and LOTS of it. If I only gained 3 lbs I'd actually consider that a win.

I have a week beach vacation next month. Lord help me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Awesome news! I bet more drops off :smiley:
  • fitchlets
    fitchlets Posts: 58 Member
    I went away a couple of weeks ago for 6 days. Came home and was up 8 pounds. Lost those 8 pounds in 2 days and within a week lost another 4. Still really confused but I accept it. lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    As of this morning I'm down 2.2 lbs, so it looks like some of that was water weight. Hoping another lb comes off tomorrow and then I can deal with a 3 lb gain.

I did great the first day of vacation and just ate at maintenance. But then we went out to dinner the next night, and who can say no to a lobster roll and fries (and onion rings, and stuffed clams!) from a seaside New England restaurant? Once I "broke the seal", I ate with abandon the rest of the trip. Donuts, cheesecake, burgers, pasta...I consumed it all, and LOTS of it. If I only gained 3 lbs I'd actually consider that a win.

I have a week beach vacation next month. Lord help me.

We must have gone to the same place... I definitely had a lobster roll and fries last week, lol.
  • jonnysharpe
    jonnysharpe Posts: 35 Member
    I don't weigh myself until a week after I return from holiday. Helps ease the post-holiday blues