5'7 weight loss&goals

hi, I am 5'7 and weigh 128lb, which I know is a healthy weight but my doctor said because of my small non muscular frame I should go down to 120lb, I was wondering what other people's goals are and any tips they have? :)

Replies

• Faith4eva31
    Faith4eva31 Posts: 98 Member
    Wow! I am 5'7 also. 120 seems really small. My goal weight is between 155-160 and that's because I want to build muscle as well.
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    I am close to 5'7" (5'6" and some change) and I am currently maintaining at 120 and have been since April. I started at 131 in February. I have been consistently eating at a deficit and doing some form of exercise daily. Jogging, Jillian Michaels DVDs, and 21 Day Fix (DVDs only since I log my food on MFP). This is just my opinion but I would imagine that if you start exercising and gaining muscle that your Dr. would be happier with you at a higher weight.
  • emmalou25mk
    emmalou25mk Posts: 25 Member
    Wow, 120! I'm 5'7 and currently at 230 :( , hopeing to get to 160, see how I look and make further goals from there
  • hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    I'm 5'7" and right around 200 with a goal of 160 at the moment. I understand that everyone is built differently but I find it strange that a doctor would advise you to go so low in weight seeing that you're a healthy weight to start with. 120 would be way too thin for me!
  • hotelsix
    hotelsix Posts: 44 Member
    I am 5'7" - started at 184lbs, I am now 168lbs with an ultimate goal of 130-135lbs.
  • hlindsey06
    hlindsey06 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm 5'7 - started at 187 and dropped to 145. I gained about 7 pounds this year (after 9-10 of steady maintenance at 145, so I am starting a new journey to get down to 135. You have to be able to maintain the weight. While I know exactly how those 7 pounds creep-ed in this year, I want to ensure I hit a weight which is easy to maintain.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    5'7. Starting weight 183. Maintaining goal of 136/137 for 5 months now.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    I'm 5'7" and I was 120 in high school. I was definitely underweight. If I were you, I'd get a second opinion on that. Granted, my body frame is a bit heavier than normal having big bones (yes i said it! XD), but my ideal weight range according to my doctor was 130-150. Yours might be a bit less, but 120 still seems awful low to me. Still, I'm not a doctor, so take that as you will.
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    I am 5'7" and have a very light frame. I weighed 120 for years without my doctor batting an eye. However, I don't think he would have made an issue about an additional 8 pounds.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm 5'7" and am maintaining (for nearly 5 years, save two pregnancies) at my goal weight of 160-165. Flat belly, lift heavy, feel strong. It's going to be hard for you to compare yourself to everyone else's goals because everyone wants something different and has different ideas of what looks good. I think I look sick less than 145, after I had my 4th baby I was 128 and I HATED how I looked, I couldn't wait to gain my muscle back.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    One other thing to consider, you don't have a magic number your scale should stay at. You have a weight RANGE that is good for your body type. As long as you're within that range, you're fine. Now, you may decide a specific number is perfect for you and that's where you want to stay. But if you take that number and pick a small range around it, that gives you room for normal weight fluctuations that happen daily. Ask your doctor for a health weight range for your body type, and just keep it within those bounds.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Why did he suggest that if you're already in a healthy weight range? I'm 5'8" 128-130. I still have fat to lose and muscle to gain so I'm doing a recomp right now following Jamie Eason's free 12 week LiveFit program and eating at TDEE. I eat about 1800 calories a day and don't do any cardio at the moment (per the first 4 weeks of the plan to establish building muscle).

I'll send you a friend request. Perhaps we can get food ideas from one another.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    When I was in high school, I was 5'7" and 120. I was terribly thin, and weak, and caught colds easily. Luckily, I took up weight lifting in my junior year, and I was able to put on 5-10 lbs of muscle over the next 4 years. I finally felt strong and healthy.

I'm sure everyone is different, but I would focus on getting strong rather than smaller.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    You told us what your doctor thinks. That BMI puts you just inside the bottom end of a healthy weight range, so I'm inclined to question this doctor's knowledge. As someone with multiple doctors in my family, most of them really know little about nutrition and exercise.

The real question is do YOU think you need to change? If so, is it your weight that bothers you, or is it how your body looks?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    A real doctor said that for real? :|
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    You're still pretty young... Have you maybe considered starting to work out and build some muscle rather than losing weight?

BTW--I'm 5'7"... Started at 182 (post-baby weight), currently at 135, would ultimately like to get down to 127 (arbitrary as it's what I weighed when I was married 20 years ago) but am in no huge hurry to get there. I love to run and do yoga, but I also like food :)
  • katieno7
    katieno7 Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks for this post! I am 5'7" and am always curious what my goal weight should be. I started this journey at 330 and picked a target of 165, just because it was half, lol. I figure once I hit it I can check and adjust. :smiley:

• hollbert90
    hollbert90 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm not a doctor either, but I think unless there's an actual medical reason for you to be 120 then you should be whatever weight you're happy at.
    I'm 5'6" and a bit and currently hovering around 128-130. I would like to get down to around 120. However my main goal is to lose bf% and inches. I have been lacking with the training recently as I have been working erratic hours which involves me spending 7-8 hours walking around so by the time I'm done I'm too exhausted to even think of anything but sleep!