July 21, Day 9

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Here's the start for the next to last day of the challenge that really wasn't, LOL.
My goals for this day: swim at least an hour, stay sugar free, work on Bigfoot at least an hour, and do one maintenance activity.

What are you doing today to improve your health and well-being?

K.

Replies

• catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well I don't think this challenge has been a total bust for all of us. Just reading back on some posts and there are some very informative and insightful comments. It sort of looks like it has bee a 10 day journey of self awareness for many of us! This in and of itself is a very positive outcome from these ten days!

For me, in answer to your question Karen, I am being discharged! I can't wait! One of my goals on our next mini challenge will be " portion control" and chew my food more and try to not "wolf " my food down so fast. Another one that will go hand in hand with this goal is to eat six small meals a day. So I guess today I will spend some time "planning" better and more frequent meals

I also want to restart walking on my treadmill so may try a bit this afternoon when I get home.

Everyone have a great nite/sleep/day!

Xoxoxo Nancy

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies.

This challenge has been good for me. Ive lost the weight I wanted to lose to hit my target of 4 stone. Im about to go unpack the last of the house (YAY) and ive worked out. Today I am going to try the longest run yet - 5 min warm up walk followed by 400m run, 200m walk, 800M RUN (Im already terrified) and 400m walk both of which then get repeated a second time before I cool down. Works out 3.6km and longest ive done yet is 2.3km so its gonna be a challenge for me
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Well that's the last of the downstairs unpacked. Four boxes upstairs will be finished but I have no motivation to do it right now as feeling pretty sad.today and can't shake it off. It's my.baby's last day at nursery tomorrow before going to big school in Sept. My.big.girl is going.into her last year of infants.in Sept as well before.juniors next year. And I'm.missing.my.nan really badly today. I lost her in Jan to cancer and it hits me every now and again still. Now I'm bawling.so I'm.gonna.go.occupy.myself. Swimming.lessons.later.for the mini beast and my.run should help keep my brain going. How is everyone else
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Lise - seems like there are a lot of milestones going on there. That always seems to be when I miss those gone the most. Congrats on your daughter's "promotion" of sorts. Sending you huge old hugs.

Nancy - unless you've a medical reason to eat smaller meals, it's not the best idea. Your intestines and colon get overtaxed from running constantly (think of it like your AC unit in the summer), rather than just kicking on and digesting/running when really needed! They've said long term that this can cause major problems, not the least of which being increased appetite and other craziness.

Karen - I don't have any concrete plans except keep on keeping on. I'm kind of it a reboot, intentionally. My birthday week last week was slightly higher in carbs intentionally. I did not bump out of ketosis, and I'm excited by that in general, but I'm also looking forward to the upswing in my metabolism carrying me through the next stage. I'm finally dumping some of that stress as things wind down. And I'm oddly intrigued by your Bigfoot story... LOL

Zac - from the other update, looks live you've got a great rest of your week planned!

Hugs to all,
    Carly
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Lise and Nancy, you are both right! I just got trapped in my own "win or lose" logical fallacy. While this challenge didn't go as I planned, I made some good progress. I need to especially celebrate that I am WORKING again, even if just part time!

I also need to celebrate that I took a REAL swim this week, with goggles, doing the crawl at a moderate pace. I've been babying my spine for two months of doing sidestroke or just paddling around, so this was major.

Food is where I still need improvement. Too much carb creep.

Today I dig through the freezer and find some chicken and veggies for a stir fry.

K.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    And on another positive note Karen, you managed to get your profile pic in the correct and upright position! Lol
  • maoribadger
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Lise - seems like there are a lot of milestones going on there. That always seems to be when I miss those gone the most. Congrats on your daughter's "promotion" of sorts. Sending you huge old hugs.

Thanks hon think this is definitely the case. I would usually have rung her by now to tell her about the kids schooling, my running, superhuman, my four stone loss and just to hear her throw me off the phone after about 4 mins because 'phone calls are expensive dear' (she never grasped that I had free minutes on my cell phone). So today I was aching to talk to her and couldnt. But I had a really good cry about it then manned up and went to get the kids and spent some time with my sister.

Tonight I went running and hit another major victory. I ran for over six minutes - twice. For half a mile/800m each time. In total I ran 2.4km and walked 1.2 not including the warm up and cool down walks
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Very inspiring Lise!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Thanks hon think this is definitely the case. I would usually have rung her by now to tell her about the kids schooling, my running, superhuman, my four stone loss and just to hear her throw me off the phone after about 4 mins because 'phone calls are expensive dear' (she never grasped that I had free minutes on my cell phone). So today I was aching to talk to her and couldnt. But I had a really good cry about it then manned up and went to get the kids and spent some time with my sister.

Tonight I went running and hit another major victory. I ran for over six minutes - twice. For half a mile/800m each time. In total I ran 2.4km and walked 1.2 not including the warm up and cool down walks

Hugs! I know what you mean so much. I've had different folks so pivotal in my life that I just can't reach out to anymore for one reason or another - and no longer being on this plane being the most permanent one! At this point, not even having a phone makes things that much more complicated...

My grandmother was the same way, being done with the conversation (or visit) after just minutes. As an adult, I always used to think she'd hit her drama or BS tolerance! LOL

I'm glad you found other things to keep you from getting too low. And Good Job, Marine - on the runs today!!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Busy group today... very nice to hear from you all!

Most of my day was pretty good. Visit from a friend, then a quick visit from Skippy McGrape, who just returned from camping. I put two hours into my Bigfoot writing. Did some paddling around with Skippy and heard all about his trip. Stayed within my calorie range.

Things got dicey when I decided to get back into the lake for a "real" swim and forgot that my cell phone was in between my boobs in my swimsuit. Yeah, you guessed it. SOAKED the phone. I stuck it into a baggie full of rice. Sadly, this isn't the first time I've done that. Twice I've jumped into the pool at the Y with my phone in my suit. You'd think I'd learn, right? I'm not due for a new phone contract/phone until December, so fingers crossed it will work tomorrow. After bagging the phone, I tried a swim but the water was pretty choppy. Swam anyway, and about halfway to the first point, BAM, every time I rotated to breathe, that freaking god awful sciatic nerve just screamed at me. I tried rotating to the other side, but no dice. I tried doing a crawl into the breast stroke and breathing to the front, but BAM BAM BAM, nerve pain. I finally settled on a very lame side stroke, but by the time I swam to the point and back, I was in pretty horrible pain, could barely get out of the water and back into the house on my crutches. I had a mental meltdown and just sobbed like a lunatic on the couch while waiting for the ice packs to do their work. Finally gave up and took three vicodin, which barely did anything. Once the nerve starts firing, it just takes a long time to settle down again. The only way I can describe it is that it's like someone stabbing me over and over in my right hip, down my leg, and ending in my right ankle. I've actually fractured my ankle and it didn't hurt this badly. And had gallstone attacks that didn't make me cry like this.

Tomorrow is physical therapy day, thank god. My plan is to get some exercise/stretching tips, then talk to the physical therapist about this pain, get suggestions, then make my phone calls to the neuro for a stronger pain med, my gp about possibly increasing the dose of amitryptiline, maybe an acupuncturist? I'm at my wit's end here. If I do NOTHING, just lie around and ice, then it's bearable, but I know that's the last thing I should do. I would have thought being in the water is the best I can do, but even if I just paddle around a bit, I'm hit with the nerve pain when I try to get out.

Aaarrgghhhhh!!!!! GAH!!!!!

Okay, I think I'm done bitching now.

If you don't hear much from me this week, it's not because I've amputated my right leg; it's because my phone is still in the bag of rice.

K.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Karen...well on the positive side, you started off your day fantastically!!!! yeah Skippy is back!!!

But to end up the way you did, I am so sorry. I sure hope that you get all your appointments in and that somebody has some great suggestions for you!!!

I started off OK too...waiting to be discharged from the hospital as they started to 'drill' in an area just underneath my room! Unbelievable!! the drilling and noise drove me mad! I could not get out of there fast enough. Then I come home and my eldest cat in 'dying'. I haven't stopped crying and it is hard to let a loved pet go after 22 years. I knew this day was going to come, but did not expect it today after being in the hospital for 8 nights. Geez, somedays we just can't get a break and today is one of them.

My cat sitter is taking her to the vet this afternoon. I have said my goodbyes. She is having difficulty breathing and can't stand up. I can't write anymore coz the tears are just pouring down now. Sorry. Catch you all later.
    luv..n
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Karen, so sorry you are in so much pain. Hope it eases for you soon.

Nancy, so very sorry to hear about your beloved pet. I can't even imagine.

Lise, I know the feeling wanting to reach out to someone whom you can't anymore. It hurts bad. I'm glad you found other ways to cope today.

Carly, my grandma was the same way... BS meter went off after a few minutes...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Karen - sending gentle hugs. Praying for some healing and some ease for you.

Nancy - I'm sitting here almost in tears. I"m not even a pet person at all, and yet this type of thing breaks my heart. Sending you consoling hugs.

Cari - I wonder if this is why we all get along so well - some older female role model in our lives always taught us how to keep it sweet, brief, to the point, and then get the heck out! LOL

Lise - Sending more hugs just 'cause I can.

Zac, Melissa, and anyone else I missed - waving and hugs, again, 'cause I can. :)
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Emotional day all around.

Nancy Im so sorry about your cat *hugs*

Karen hope you feel better. Put the bag of rice in the airing cupboard near the boiler. The heat will dra more moisture out