Having a hard time deciding on a decent weight lifting routine...

I suck at trying to put one together... I've been researching, but unable to find a weekly routine that would work everything to the last drop. Any help? I like doing cardio for 30 minutes and then finishing with 30 minutes of weights.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I'd look into a progressive lifting program, like Stronglifts 5x5
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited July 2015
    I can't recommend stronglifts enough. It has everything in it you need to gain strength and muscle while burning fat. Add in some accessories (I'm happy to share mine but there are hundreds out there you can research yourself) and you have a perfect 3 day a week lifting routine. I do a couple of circuit classes a week to get my cardio in and have had nothing but compliments since I started. It's made a massive difference to my shape.

Edited to add: I hear that a lot of people recommend doing your cardio after your weights. It's something to do with draining glycogen. I don't know the science so feel free to research that :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I can't recommend stronglifts enough. It has everything in it you need to gain strength and muscle while burning fat. Add in some accessories (I'm happy to share mine but there are hundreds out there you can research yourself) and you have a perfect 3 day a week lifting routine. I do a couple of circuit classes a week to get my cardio in and have had nothing but compliments since I started. It's made a massive difference to my shape.

I'm not the OP, but I'd like to know what accessories you work in?
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    I hear this strong lift comment every where I go on here! I do isolation but from the sounds of it since I have been stalled the 5x5 program is worth a try!!
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    What are your goals? Do you want to gain strength? Do you want to gain size? Shrink in size?

Is this a time limitation issue? Do you only have 1 hour to work out and must keep the 30 minutes cardio? Are you flexible on what you are willing to do?

If you have an hour or so 3 times a week, then start with a beginner program to learn the basics. Strong lifts is a popular program because it is easy and straightforward but in the end, it will do more to add strength than it will to change your whole body. If you're wanting a total body transformation, pick up Bret Contreras' Strong Curves and look at his website as well. I had great results incorporating a lot of his training techniques.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member

I'm not the OP, but I'd like to know what accessories you work in?

Bear in mind I do a slight variation of stronglifts called madcow. I maxed out at stronglifts (actually I was scared to max out and fail so changed routine!) and now work at lower weights that get progressively heavier throughout the session so that I gain strength very slowly and steadily

This is my weekly routine

Monday

squat 5X5
    bench press 5X5
    bent over row 5X5

dumbell press 3X10
    dumbell flyes 3X10
    pushups 3X10
    lat flyes 3X10
    tricep extensions 3X10

Tuesday

Boxercise class

Wednesday

squat 4X5
    over head press 4X5
    deadlift 4X5

dumbell reverse curl 3X10
    alternate arm hammer curl 3X10
    preacher bar curl 3X10
    lat pulldown 3X10
    seated cable row 3X10
    assisted pull ups 3X10

Thursday

Day off!!!

Friday * heavy day. the last 2 sets increase the weight for 3 then drop it again for 8. I'll start at that high weight as my max next week

squat 4x5, 1X3, 1X8
    bench press 4X5, 1X3, 1X8
    bent over row 4X5, 1X3, 1X8

front squats 3X10
    leg extensions 3X10
    leg curls 3X10
    straight leg dead lift 3X10
    calf raises 3X10
    dumbell overhead split squats for 20 paces X 3

Saturday

Run

Sunday

circuits class (if not working - roughly every other week)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited July 2015
    Californitraining....free app. I like it. 5x5 is good but I like adding in other stuff. This app organises a routine for you week to week depending on your goals.

Eta. Lol *kitten*! Maybe there's a male version! Hehe

Nope..checked profile. You're good to go!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    If you've never done a progressive strength training program before, do a proven beginner program. If you have access to a gym, here are some good generic programs:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    all pro beginner
    New Rules of Lifting
    Strong Lifts

If you're working out at home with limited equipment, start with a bodyweight program. I suggest buying a book, because the programs are a little complicated. Books I can recommend:

Body By You
    You Are Your Own Gym
    Convict Conditioning

If you have a $100 or $200 to spend on home equipment, consider a suspension trainer, like a TRX or Jungle Gym.

Strength training is all about progression, so pay particular attention to the progression rules in any program you decide to do.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    I started out on Stronglifts which was good but it made my gym sessions short because I wasn't sure what accessory lifts I should be doing. I now use the app Fitness Buddy and follow their workouts, they have different categories like:
    *beginner full body
    *intermediate which splits upper and lower body
    *advanced workouts which have three different days for different parts of the body
    *expert level
    *bodyweight only
    *female orientated
    *resistance band workouts
    *goal specific e.g. leg strength, weight loss, defined shoulders etc
    *kettlebell workouts

There are a lot of options anyway and would definitely recommend - it really pushes me and offers a lot of variety whilst letting you keep track of how much you're lifting
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    All Pro's SBR is a great full body beginners routine with pretty short inter-set rest periods - means it's pretty quick to get through a session (especially on the medium and light days).

Can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    I would recommend specifically searching for a program which is tailored to what changes you wish on your body most. By this I mean, if you feel your legs are your weak point, find a program which focuses on building up your legs. Once you find a program, feel free to modify it to what you feel you need more/less of in a workout. :)