Learning about clean eating

I am making my calories everyday unfortunatly I am doing it with unhealthy food. Soda and junk food. I dont know much about clean eating so I am interested in learning ways to transition from my poor eating habits into a mean clean eating machine

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Umm this is the gaining form, did you mean to post this in the general weight loss or food and nutrition forum perhaps?

However, here is my advice.

Drop the clean vs unclean; bad food vs good food mentality. Food = food. It provides your body with energy for bodily functions.

Yes, your food should come from nutrient dense sources like chicken, fish, rice, vegetables, etc. however, there is nothing wrong with eating ice cram, pizza, oreos, bagels, pasta, etc, to fill in your day.

I do not eat clean and I have had no issues getting to sub 15% body fat and my blood work is always nearly perfect at yearly physical.
  • bryanna277
    bryanna277 Posts: 56 Member
    No i am trying to gain weight. Im currently at 104 and my goal weight is 115. Ndj1979 the majority of the food i do eat are snacks. There isnt much fresh food in my meal plans. I do cook dinner every night and dont eat out often however i see alot of people who have had success eating healthier meals thats are made instead of just taken out of a box and heated up.
  • ndj1979
    bryanna277 wrote: »
    No i am trying to gain weight. Im currently at 104 and my goal weight is 115. Ndj1979 the majority of the food i do eat are snacks. There isnt much fresh food in my meal plans. I do cook dinner every night and dont eat out often however i see alot of people who have had success eating healthier meals thats are made instead of just taken out of a box and heated up.

Ok - then yes, try to eat more vegetables, fruits, fish, chicken etc; however, you are going to have a hard time bulking on just chicken and vegetables all of the time.

ike I said, get the majority if your food for nutrient dense sources so that you are hitting micronutrient requirements, and fill in the rest with higher calorie treats/snacks.

At the end of the day calories are king when trying to add weight/bulk.

are you also running a structured lifting program while bulking?
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    If you're looking to bulk up, what I've read (not an expert by any means, and I'm more focused on losing) is that you might want to consider more nuts/nut butters, whole grain breads, and full-fat milk and yogurt. If convenience is an issue, consider things like smoothies with full-fat milk, yogurt, and nut butter blended in. Otherwise, it sounds like you know what you need to do, so you just have to bite the bullet and do it.
  • bryanna277
    I dont do much of any cardio because my metabolism is extremly fast. I do yoga usually 15-20 min a day but thats about it ndj1979.
  • bryanna277
    Awesome thanks for the advice
  • ndj1979
    bryanna277 wrote: »
    I dont do much of any cardio because my metabolism is extremly fast. I do yoga usually 15-20 min a day but thats about it ndj1979.

are you just trying to gain weight or do you want to add muscle too???
  • bryanna277
    Just gain weight for now ndj1979
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Calories are king when gaining weight, regardless of the source. However, yes, you should mix the occasional fruits and veggies in to keep healthy and get your vitamins in.
  • bryanna277
    Awesome thank you