Bulking but slow strength gains

jamesmorin59
jamesmorin59 Posts: 37 Member
okay so it's only been a month of my bulk cycle, I didn't weigh myself at the start but at the moment I am
5'9"
166.8lbs
3240cals @ 50c 30f 20p

I'm lifting 4x a week
Sometimes a 5th cardio day

Just my main lifts
I have increased my squat from
85kg-102.5 for 6 reps 4 sets
Deadlift from 80ishkg to 105 for 6 reps
120 for 2 reps
Bench is from 60 - 75kg for 8 reps

So some gains are from not pushing myself hard enough before bulk
My bench is struggling , I have an old bicep tendon injury so I don't mind taking it slow

I'm going up by 2.5kg weekly for now, is that too little?

My average lifting day is in pic below
My rest days are 200 ish calories less

8mkuhe6ylxj0.jpg

ghkagdjqviqs.jpg

So yeah, how does what I'm doing sound to you guys?
I can always just wait and see but you guys know your stuff

Cheers

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Have you been taking measurements?

In all honesty, I would be more concerned with muscle gain than strength gain, as you can make strength gains even when in a deficit.

remember, strength gains do not equal muscle gains.

Also, first month is usually trial and error as you get your calories right and make sure you are gaining at correct rate.

I would say you are doing fine as your lifts are going up….

• jamesmorin59
    Thanks @ndj1979 , no I haven't been taking measurements but it makes sense to do so, I will start measuring asap,
    So with your advise in mind, I was thinking of starting a 5x5 routine when it was time to mix things up,
    Is there a better routine to go on?
    At the moment I am mostly aiming for 8-10 rep with the exception of deadlift and squat which is at 6-8reps?
  • ndj1979
    Thanks @ndj1979 , no I haven't been taking measurements but it makes sense to do so, I will start measuring asap,
    So with your advise in mind, I was thinking of starting a 5x5 routine when it was time to mix things up,
    At the moment I am mostly aiming for 8-10 rep with the exception of deadlift and squat which is at 6-8reps?

no problem …

Are you new to lifting?

If you are not on a structured program then I would highly recommend something structured like strong lifts, starting strength, all pro beginner…if you are not new to lifting you could run a more intermediate program …just depends on your experience level ...
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    What is your lifting routine. You are talking 6+ reps in your first post. That is not where you will gain strength. You will gain the most strength in the range of 1-3.

Like @ndj1979 said, start with a beginner lifting program, like Starting Strength, until you can get your lifts up to intermediate numbers, or at least high novice.

Start reading. A lot.
  • jamesmorin59
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no problem …

Are you new to lifting?

If you are not on a structured program then I would highly recommend something structured like strong lifts, starting strength, all pro beginner…if you are not new to lifting you could run a more intermediate program …just depends on your experience level ...

No I'm not on any structured routine apart from simply.....
    Chest/bi -tuesday back/tris/calves - Wednesday
    Shoulders/core - Friday , legs - Sunday

I'm fairly new to lifting , I had a few years experience about 5 years ago so I guess I'm back where I started,

Starting strength it is then

@ Horrorfox thanks also, I'm at the end of the scale where I read too much and get lost in the bro science from time to time,
    But that's why I'm posting here,
  • Jmaytes
    Jmaytes Posts: 16 Member
    Sounds like quite a bit of carbs I would add more protein less carbs. You have to feed your muscles. Whenever I bulk I eat more red meat rather then chicken. When I lean out I switch to chicken or turkey.
  • ndj1979
    Jmaytes wrote: »
    Sounds like quite a bit of carbs I would add more protein less carbs. You have to feed your muscles. Whenever I bulk I eat more red meat rather then chicken. When I lean out I switch to chicken or turkey.

ummm, you do realize that carbs are more important than protein when bulking right? I think you are confusing this with cutting, where protein would be more important to preserve existing mass.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

:|
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member

Nope......... doesn't work like that.........

(why do I have a feeling that isn't him in his avatar????)
  • jmule24
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no problem …

Are you new to lifting?

No I'm not on any structured routine apart from simply.....
    Chest/bi -tuesday back/tris/calves - Wednesday
    Shoulders/core - Friday , legs - Sunday

I'm fairly new to lifting , I had a few years experience about 5 years ago so I guess I'm back where I started,

Starting strength it is then

@ Horrorfox thanks also, I'm at the end of the scale where I read too much and get lost in the bro science from time to time,
    But that's why I'm posting here,

5x5 programs are the happy medium for hypertrophy/strength gains. Also, 2.5kg/week ends up being 130kg over the course of a years training......while it seems slow now that is a ton of progress and not realistic to maintain that progression. You will notice the 5x5 program run its course and need to change programs in order to keep progressing.
  • jamesmorin59
    Thanks for your replies,

I will go on 5x5 for now as its straight forward , gives me some time to work something else out for when needed,
    However from what I've read online I was expecting advise to go towards something like the German volume training or something near the 10 rep range as I read a lot that's optimal for muscle growth?
    Obviously like most I want to get stronger as well as bigger
    Yet I also want to make the most of my surplus calories
  • Horrorfox
    Forget getting bigger. Focus on getting stronger, and then you can think about looking bigger. Don't be one of those body builders that can't lift for *kitten*. Besides, as a newbie, you'll grow regardless.
  • jmule24
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    Forget getting bigger. Focus on getting stronger, and then you can think about looking bigger. Don't be one of those body builders that can't lift for *kitten*. Besides, as a newbie, you'll grow regardless.

You do realize a lot of body builders were and are strong as F**K?
    You do also realize that a bigger muscle allows for greater strength? (in theory)

Sticking to a 5x5 will give you a happy medium. Going on the lower end of the 8-12 rep hypertrophy range will allow you to grow the most while still gaining some strength. It more than likely will not be as quickly as someone following a 5x5 program. At the end of the day OVERALL VOLUME & FREQUENCY will dictate your muscle growth.

As a natural, there continues to be more evidence showing that a full body routine three times per week will yield you the best results when it comes to building size and strength. In order to get the amount of volume you will need to grow on a full body routine you will spend 60-90 mins in the gym three days/week.
  • jmule24
    Thanks for your replies,

I will go on 5x5 for now as its straight forward , gives me some time to work something else out for when needed,
    However from what I've read online I was expecting advise to go towards something like the German volume training or something near the 10 rep range as I read a lot that's optimal for muscle growth?
    Obviously like most I want to get stronger as well as bigger
    Yet I also want to make the most of my surplus calories

You can do both at the same time but if you want to make the "MOST" of your calories you can't have both.......just sayin.... Pick one and stick to it throughout your bulk.
  • jamesmorin59
    edited July 2015
    @jmule24 thanks again for your detailed relies, I will do some research on full body workouts

• Horrorfox
    edited July 2015
    @jmule24 I said don't be one of those bodybuilders who can't lift. I didn't say all bodybuilders can't lift heavy.

I gave a beginner advice that he needs to lift for strength before he changes it up to hypertrophy. 5x5 or 3x5 is fine for a 8-12 months. Let him get his lifts to acceptable numbers, then he can change it up and start looking fine as *kitten* with some hypertrophy, if he wants to.

You gotta build that foundation.

• dubrovin1012
    dubrovin1012 Posts: 6 Member
    Protein looks good, carbs look good. Lower your fat. Keep it in 50-75 range.
  • jmule24
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    @jmule24 I said don't be one of those bodybuilders who can't lift. I didn't say all bodybuilders can't lift heavy.

I gave a beginner advice that he needs to lift for strength before he changes it up to hypertrophy. 5x5 or 3x5 is fine for a 8-12 months. Let him get his lifts to acceptable numbers, then he can change it up and start looking fine as *kitten* with some hypertrophy, if he wants to.

You gotta build that foundation.

If he wants to focus on building muscle he can still do that as a beginner. I love 5x5 programs but they aren't for everyone. Based on his goal he should follow a hypertrophy specific program with built in linear progression. He will still build a solid "base" going this route also.
  • jmule24
    Protein looks good, carbs look good. Lower your fat. Keep it in 50-75 range.

Why?