Opinion on diet drinks

I love diet pops and usually have one every evening. I know diet drinks do not slow weight loss. However, what are your opinions on the long-term effects that they may have on your body? I keep hearing these horror stories about aspartame causing cancer and I am wondering if you think it is a big myth or if there is some merit to it.

Replies

• tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    I think we are environmentally predisposed to cancer.
    Or it's the diet soda. you decide. :)

I drink water and way too much coffee.. If there's such a thing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't care, but I don't care much for soda anyway o:)
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2015
    I love diet pops and usually have one every evening. I know diet drinks do not slow weight loss. However, what are your opinions on the long-term effects that they may have on your body? I keep hearing these horror stories about aspartame causing cancer and I am wondering if you think it is a big myth or if there is some merit to it.

Just like your title suggests, everything you're going to get here is "opinions" from people who for the most part have no scientific knowledge on the subject... and you know what they say about opinions... they're just like a$sholes, everyone's got one. If you really want to make an informed decision for yourself, there are several studies out there that you can research and decide if Diet Coke or whatever else is something you want to keep in your life or not. And now for my opinion - I do not feel that the studies that have been done are strong enough to convince me to completely rid my life of my beloved Diet Coke, so I will continue to drink it. Just went to the doc 2 weeks ago and am in perfect health. I've been drinking Diet Coke for years.

*Edit so my cuss word wouldn't get completely starred out :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    There's been so much testing done on aspertame and absolutely no results that indicate it causes cancer. Most of that is fear-mongering by people who don't seem to believe in science. I have family members who are convinced that my one Diet Coke per day habit is going to kill me along with the GMOs and the vaccines I had as a child. Some of those same people smoke. So take it all with a grain of salt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    OP, check out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32928140#Comment_32928140

(Why Aspertame Isn't Scary)

It discusses the scientific facts and studies.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member

Just like your title suggests, everything you're going to get here is "opinions" from people who for the most part have no scientific knowledge on the subject... and you know what they say about opinions... they're just like a$sholes, everyone's got one. If you really want to make an informed decision for yourself, there are several studies out there that you can research and decide if Diet Coke or whatever else is something you want to keep in your life or not. And now for my opinion - I do not feel that the studies that have been done are strong enough to convince me to completely rid my life of my beloved Diet Coke, so I will continue to drink it. Just went to the doc 2 weeks ago and am in perfect health. I've been drinking Diet Coke for years.

*Edit so my cuss word wouldn't get completely starred out :)

Agreed that no studies have proven any link, and I am not giving up my coke zero for no reason. You will most certainly get some informed people chiming in-but it will be nearly impossible to wade through the BS. Make your own decision.

FWIW-I think it's harmless.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I think diet pop is a lot better than regular pop.

I think that aspartame causes cancer thought was largely disproved, although I tend to avoid it anyways.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    I don't believe diet drinks (drunk through the day) are good for your kidneys etc. Some people drink soda (including diet) from the moment they wake up, until they go to bed. I don't see that as a very good thing to do. Many people will disagree with me and that is fine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    SueInAz wrote: »
    There's been so much testing done on aspertame and absolutely no results that indicate it causes cancer. Most of that is fear-mongering by people who don't seem to believe in science. I have family members who are convinced that my one Diet Coke per day habit is going to kill me along with the GMOs and vaccines I had as a child. Some of those same people smoke. So take it all with a grain of salt.

This^

1 diet soda .....there are things that are so much worse. I figure if my diet soda prevents me from eating a candy bar (calories I don't need)....it's more than made up for the potential "bad" things it may contribute to.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    I don't care for them because the artificial sugars upset my stomach. On the rare occasion I want a soda, I'll have one, log it and move on.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    I'm all for moderation. A couple of cans of diet soda a week, one a day even, is no big deal but it probably shouldn't make up your entire fluid intake for the day... that's coffee's job :)

Even a sugar filled regular pop once in a while isn't that bad if you can fit in the calories and it really is just an occasional treat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    teanahk wrote: »
    I'm all for moderation. A couple of cans of diet soda a week, one a day even, is no big deal but it probably shouldn't make up your entire fluid intake for the day... that's coffee's job :)

Even a sugar filled regular pop once in a while isn't that bad if you can fit in the calories and it really is just an occasional treat.

I lol'd at that :smiley:

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I have one can of Diet Mt. Dew every morning. I need the caffeine to wake up in the morning. I know a lot of people are on the "aspartame causes cancer" bandwagon. What doesn't cause cancer these days? The only way I'll stop drinking it is if someone pries it out of my hands, and for everyone's sake, that's not wise.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    I used to drink more than a 12-pk of diet coke a day. I now drink water with an occasional soda. I absolutely agree that diet soda won't cause weight gain. But one of the reasons I'm on this site is to get healthier - thus, the severe decrease in soda. Will one a day hurt? If it's something you really want - have it.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    This is just anecdotal from me, but... the artificial sweeteners in diet soda trigger my migraines, which makes me v. suspicious. Also, my mother has been having serious issues with her esophagus over the last couple of years, and every doctor she's seen has suspected her nearly lifelong Diet Coke addiction with her health issues. I know that's not a scientific study, but it's enough to keep me far away.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    My opinion... is to stay away from them.

Everyday there's an " I'm addicted to diet soda " thread, which for me is reason enough not to drink them.
    As for aspartame. There's too many pro's and cons studies for me to trust that it's super duper wonderful just yet.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    I love 'em. Never caused me any problems. But I do stay away from caffeinated ones.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    I drink the equivalent of perhaps 3 cans of Pepsi Max or diet coke per week.

I dont see any problems with this and have no plans to change it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    If they cause you problems -- or you imagine that they do -- don't drink them. There's no reason to avoid them except for personal preference.