22/07/15 - Welcome, Introduce yourself!

stellaslove
stellaslove Posts: 22 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
This is my first week of trying to lose weight (for about the 200th time, haha). I am feeling a bit apprehensive as I have tried so many times before, but I'm making my goals small. Starting with a month. Just do this for a month and see where I'm at then. So to start, my weight is 125.9kg. Let's hope it's a bit less this time next week!

Replies

• ewoksrule3
    ewoksrule3 Posts: 230 Member
    I have lost and regained weight multiple times as well. It gets hard to even admit to people in your life that you're trying to lose, because you've failed so many times that you are embarrassed to even mention the subject. This is the time that I am going to give my all to becoming healthy and making it stick, though. I am currently 275 lb, and have lost 16 pounds over the past couple months. I have another 140 to go, but I'm on a good roll with my eating and exercising for the past couple months. Speaking of apprehensive...this is the first time I have told anyone other than my doctor what my actual weight is in a LOT of years!
  • stellaslove
    My weight has been a heavily guarded secret too. I'd still never admit it to anyone in my personal life, but I need to admit it to myself and start weighing myself on a weekly basis rather than ignoring it for months and just hoping it's not going up. I kinda felt like giving up yesterday to be honest, but I realized I started this group and that I have to check in next week! So now I'm just trying to get through the week! I know once I start to see a change, I'll start feeling good and motivated! Sounds like you're on a good roll!!! I definitely want to get to that point! I usually start to wane after a month so having a couple of months down is awesome!
  • Lady_Lyrico
    Lady_Lyrico Posts: 35 Member
    I am a 51 year old woman whose top weight was 107kg (well, it might have been higher, but I didn't weigh myself for a long time). I weighed in this morning at 96.4kg. I have been actively trying to lose weight since April, and half-heartedly trying for the year before that. I have had a few health scares this year which has encouraged me to finally do something about my weight. I have also just joined a health club in order to encourage myself to be more active.
    I have set quite lenient targets for myself, and am eating 1400 - 1700 calories a day, mainly because I want this to be a life change rather than a diet.
  • beautifuldisaster5287
    beautifuldisaster5287 Posts: 52 Member
    I've lost and gained a lot too. My will power is strong when I start but as I go along, it begins to falter. I'm super motivated this time so I hope it sticks and I wish the rest of you well also! I'm here for motivation if anyone needs any and I'll take anyone up on some as well lol
  • beautifuldisaster5287
    beautifuldisaster5287 Posts: 52 Member
    My starting weight at the beginning of the year was 244 and when I started on here last week it was 239.5. I've lost 6.8 so far!
  • ewoksrule3
    Nice to meet you ladies. :) I think it will be helpful having some people who struggle with the same things I do. I touch base with a couple of out of state friends regularly about our exercise and diet, but sometimes it is hard, because they are relatively healthy already and really don't understand things like emotional binge eating...one of them once made a comment about how she never likes to feel too full, and I just wanted to die, because I'm still struggling with wanting to stuff myself! I am doing much better, but even one bad day is a temptation to fall right back into old habits. I really appreciate the support, and I'm here to support and motivate for whatever you guys need, too!
  • jcorrea24
    jcorrea24 Posts: 8 Member
    I am 48 and have been gaining weight at an alarming rate for the past couple of years. When I think it can't go any higher it does. I am determined to get healthy and my weight under control. I am hoping that when I get the urge to snack, I will instead come to MFP and have the support and encouragement to think about it first.
  • ewoksrule3
    I hear you, jcorrea24! Eating junk was almost what I lived for for a long time!! I have found that for me what makes the biggest difference is exercise. I'm not sure why, but when I'm working out almost every day it is SO much easier to resist eating junk food! On my rest day for the week I struggle a lot more to eat well and not run out for chips and pizza, but exercise days I just don't crave it so much. Maybe that would help you, too? :)
  • Methynks
    Methynks Posts: 32 Member
    ewoksrule3 wrote: »
    I have lost and regained weight multiple times as well. It gets hard to even admit to people in your life that you're trying to lose, because you've failed so many times that you are embarrassed to even mention the subject. This is the time that I am going to give my all to becoming healthy and making it stick, though.

^this! 100% so I have only told one friend (we're starting exercise together) and one colleague (for support at work against those daily treats). DH will have to be told in due course that his dinners will change ;-) but apart from that I will keep it to myself.

Currently weighing 129kg, goal weight for 1 June 2017 (friend's wedding) is 85kg - 2 per month on average, should be doable.

We got this girls!!
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    My husband and I are yoyo dieters for sure. The first week of August last year I was 205 lbs. We were well underway with eating low GI, and then we went to a funeral and ate carb-loaded regular food and didn't look back even though we had been doing SO well.
    I found once I went back to work the end of February and stopped nursing my youngest the end of March that my weight started skyrocketing. I'm pretty sure I was about 240lbs the end of February. When I weighed in on July 7 I was 260!! Highest in my life, even in both pregnancies!
    We started low carb high fat July 8 and it's going great. Everyone knows we're gluten and grain free, I've admitted my weight to my girlfriends at work, and its helping. It makes helps me stay committed! Tim Hortons was doing free coffee and timbits at work today and a team member brought in 2 dozen crispy creme donuts (enough for almost 2 each) and I didn't cheat!!!
  • stellaslove
    Nice to meet everyone :) I definitely want this to be a lifestyle change too, so I'm not having bad stuff every day, but I'm not trying to NEVER EVER have anything 'bad' because I know I can't keep that up. Ewoksrule3 - Wow, I wish I never liked being too full! I am actually really trying to retrain that in me now.. i ALWAYS eat until i'm stuffed. Often until I feel sick. The last 5 days I have not done that. It feels good, but I know it's always a bad habit i can slip into, so I'm trying to practice mindful eating!

Hope everyone's week is going well!
  • Lady_Lyrico
    So good to read everyone's stories. I'm very ashamed of my past eating habits, and can very easily eat until I feel sick. Every time I think "never again" ... until the next time! Portion control is my biggest issue, which I have been trying to get around by eating salad leaves, cucumber and tomato along with most meals just to feel like I have a bigger portion. I know that I don't actually need big portions of food, I just enjoy eating, and amazingly the salad leaves have been helping so far.
    This weekend we have stayed in a hotel, and each meal time I have struggled with whether to eat what I want, or try to make sensible choices. We rarely have a weekend like this so I decided I would have what I wanted. The cooked breakfast came to over 1000 calories, but we also walked for 3 hours yesterday (which included a coastal hill, which was hard work). I had ice cream for dessert both nights and gave half to my husband to lessen the impact. I will have one more cooked breakfast today and then we will be home and I will be back on my regular 1400 - 1600 calories a day. I will be going to my first Zumba class tomorrow night, and swimming after - I am determined to make the most of the facilities at the health club we joined last week.
    Wishing strength to everyone for the next few days until Wednesday's weigh-in.
  • MindyBruno
    MindyBruno Posts: 535 Member
    I started my weight loss journey on 5/22. I weighed 224 pounds and I am 4"11'. I weighed myself this morning and I am at 205.8. I try to keep my calories at 1350 a day. I have a fitbit and go for walks and have my step count at 6,000. I also started back to the gym and I try to go at least 3x a week.

Good luck, we can do this!
  • KatieMarie1106
    KatieMarie1106 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi! I am 39 years old and have also tried and list motivation to lose weight. I just bought an elliptical and my husband is on MFP with me now. I hoping these changes plus this check in will be what I need to finally get over the hump.
  • 2selina
    2selina Posts: 25 Member
    I'm 31 and have gone from 211lb to 164lb back up to 219.6lb in 3 years. I did low carb high fat to loose the weight first time and then fell off the wagon in spectacular style. Now aiming for healthy weight loss witin a sustainable diet as I know that I can't stick to cutting out a foid group long term (I know it works for many people). 10lb off so far with MFP and looking for friends to keep me motivated. I keep an open very honest diary, showing the 3500 calorie days as well as the good ones.
  • KatieMarie1106
    Hi! I am 39 years old and have also tried and list motivation to lose weight. I just bought an elliptical and my husband is on MFP with me now. I hoping these changes plus this check in will be what I need to finally get over the hump.

Oops! I'm 30, not 39!
  • Lady_Lyrico
    I went to see the dietician yesterday regarding my IBS, and he has recommended completing the FODMAP plan for 6 weeks before re-introducing foods. This is going to make everything much more of a challenge but he said over 70% of people find relief from their symptoms by identifying their trigger foods. I'm starting on August 10th, as he wants me to eat normally beforehand (sticking to 1500 cals or below) so that I can note my daily symptoms and compare them once I start reintroducing food types. Just thought I'd share! :)
  • KatieMarie1106
    Interesting @Lady_Lyrico! I had Ulcerative Colitis and have considered doing something like that as well. Best of luck!
  • therealsallyjane
    therealsallyjane Posts: 4 Member
    I know I'm a little late to the party, but reading all of these responses really makes me feel like I've come to the right place. I'm 29 and have battled with my weight for at least the last ten years. I've had some real successes, but they never seem to stick. I was doing really well and feeling really good last year until life got stressful, and then I gained more than 20 pounds in about 6 months. I didn't know it was that much until I got the courage to weigh myself after my clothes didn't fit for a few months. I'm disappointed in myself, but the sad part is that I was not very surprised, because this is what always seems to happen. I really need this to be a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. I'm not totally sure how to keep myself in the right mindset, but I know I need to try. I want to focus on consistency this time, because that's what always seems to be my downfall.