Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    I'm back for an update, been away and busy as my summers usually are.

So I think I mentioned that I was going to find PT closer to my home since I hit rush hour on the way home and it takes extra time and stresses me out. Well, as usual, I can't say NO. I went to pick up my new orthotics and got talked into coming back for active sessions, acupuncture (for whiplash) see the physiotherapist and see a naturopathic doctor. The only reason I didn't refuse is because I am still in so much pain from day to day and my doctor thinks I should just live with it. (Still haven't got a new doc either... I'm such a procrastinator). To make things worse for myself I was talking to a customer on my mail route last week who sells diet shakes and supplements.. she finally talked me into a month of morning shakes which she said would cost $90. I saw it as a way to get a kick start on my weight loss again, but when I got the catalogue, the price was double what she quoted! This is one thing I will definitely have to turn around and say no to.

Back to PT, my new trainer is awesome. I always like someone who comes in with fresh exercises, and she did just that. When she saw me doing my core exercises she immediately said she was going to talk to the physiotherapist about advancing me back into more difficult/harder workouts, because they were too easy for me.. which really started to get me motivated again. The naturopathic doctor is going to put me on a food plan (based on my likes) for 2 lb per week weight loss and says she will help me kick the diet pepsi (aspartame) addiction. I hate to admit this but she weighed me and I gained 15lb since March. Seriously?!? Wow, have I ever been in denial about maintenance. The acupuncturist practices the traditinal chinese type (different than what I was getting from the chiropractor before). He inserted 16 needles in my neck, shoulder, hands and knees. When he put them in the back of my knees I had electric shock waves run down into my toes! He said that was good LOL. No pain involved otherwise, but they were tender feeling when he removed them. I hope I respond to that because I'm at my wits end with my neck pain.

Still successfully making my step goals each day/week. I'm up to 17k steps per day this week. I'm going to have a problem this weekend, however. On the spur of the moment I'm joining 3 guys I know for a 3 day roadtrip through 10 US states. We need to cover 6500km in 3 days, with only a few stops (gas, food, sleep) and to find a few geocaches (the goal of the trip). No way am I going to get 17,000 steps in, so I'm going to continue those 3 days into next week instead.

My weekends are still full of activity.. hiking, biking, kayaking. Last Saturday I went tubing down the river, it was soo much fun. I even took 2 days unpaid leave off work last week to go tubing and hiking... I've decided life (and summer) is too short to miss out on some fun, and play is much more healthier than work (my job anyway).

@cblue enjoy your new bike!
    @mnwalkingqueen congrats on your new job, sounds like you are going to enjoy it.
    @grandmakaye sorry to hear about your DH, hope he recovers.
    @Erin sounds like you had a good bike ride. What kind of softball do you play? I grew up playing fastball (windmill pitching) then turned to slo pitch leagues, then went back to women's fastball which I really miss and I'm playing in a fun slo pitch league now. I was a pitcher from the age of 6 to 36. I can still pitch but I've ruined my rotator cuff, so it hurts too much. I had a really wicked change up.
    @Nettie Welcome back!! So nice to see your little one... she has a beautiful name and is adorable.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    @mnwalkingqueen Congratulations on the new job. Hope it works out well for you.
    @skinnyjeans Good luck to DH.
    @Tanya I admire your level of activity. I'm glad you can enjoy summer in spite of your pain. I gained 10# between March and June. With everything that's going on, I'm having a hard time getting back to logging. I know that is what I have to do to start losing again.
    @tootsanderson So sorry about your diagnosis. That's all you need on top of the health issues of the other members of your family. I hope you can get adjusted to the restrictions so it won't be a constant stress for you.
    @Jnettie So happy to see you back. I've been thinking about you lately. Thanks for posting the pictures of your beautiful little girl. So precious.

AFM At times DH seems to be getting better, but he continues to show a marked decrease in his ability to communicate which was already compromised by his strokes. The dr says it will take 4-6 weeks to tell how much of this set back is permanent. He is in a great deal of pain and sleeps most of the time. I took a picture of his back side for insurance claims purposes just in case we wind up in court. I will spare him the indignity of posting it. In the meantime, the owners of the property are making excuses and trying to say that it was a "no fault" accident. Yeah, right. When we went in to the dr yesterday, his blood pressure was normal, so I took my new machine and had them check it. Apparently, it was not reliable. I got my money back and am taking him in every day or 2 for a reading at the office. Today was even better than yesterday. Mine was 100/50. I guess all of the water aerobics and walking are paying off.

Keep on truckin' as we say in the west. Thanks for being here for me. I come to this thread several times a day, just to keep reminding myself of what my goals are and to keep in touch with all of you, my on-line friends.

Onward and downward. Kaye

• NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    edited July 2015
    Just a quick drive by as I'm on vacation still. I went white water rafting today, did not fall in, loved it!!!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    @JNettie73~So glad to see you back, Isabella is adorable!

@tootsanderson~I'm so sorry you're facing a health issue of your own, like Karen suggested a lot of what you mentioned for foods your allowed to have so as to not exacerbate your condition seems Paleo. You might search out some Paleo websites (www.againstallgrain.com comes to mind). Also, the butter you mentioned sounds like Ghee--its a cultured butter (similar to clarified butter). You can make your own, you can also find it in health food stores or online. I was interested and ran across this low-histamine food list online--maybe you'll find it useful. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-histamine.pdf

@tlh0407 (Tracy)~Yay, I'm so glad you went white water rafting and are having a great time on vacay!

@Kaye~Oy, I'm so sorry for DHs fall and continued health problems. I hope that he is able to make a full recovery and you find some rest from worry soon.

@mnwalkingqueen (Holly)~Hooray for the new job, congrats!

@Tanya949~I hope the acupuncture works for your continued pain, good luck with the new trainer.

@Karen~I think my nephews would love a Jedi bedroom--they are so obsessed with Star Wars. Its funny, I was telling them that I saw the original Star Wars at a drive-in theatre when I was 10, they had no idea what that was but were very intrigued. :lol: They are watching the movies in order right now.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Nettie- Welcome back. Your child is beautiful, a little darling.

tlh(Tracy)- Yeah, I am glad you went white water rafting and had a great time. Enjoy the rest of your vacay.

Kaye-sorry to hear about your husband troubles and set back. I hope he recovers quickly.

Karen-I hope your DH gets the job. Don't work to hard on your vacation. It was to hot the run here as well, sometimes it pays to skip the workout or to slow it down.

Toots- I agree with the Paleo diet that Karen and Kelley recommended. I have heard good things about that eating plan and the recipes.

Lori- Enjoy the new bike, what brand did you buy?

It has been a busy week and summer is going by very quickly. I am still trying to find a time to get away but my calendar is filling up. I may just need to run away for a few days and head to the beach.

I am feeling a little on the lazy side tonight but I did walk 2 miles today so that was good. I walked with a friend who is just getting back into exercise so it was a slow walk. Tomorrow, I need to accomplish a recovery run so that means 45 minutes at a slow jog. Just not sure when I will accomplish this. A busy day tomorrow since I am helping a friend with her bike rack and she does not want to ride or run. I may try to run before I go and meet her if I get up early enough, other wise it will be later in the afternoon. At least it is not super hot right now but still hot.

Have a great weekend.

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Hello All,
    @JNettie73 - Your little girl is amazing, how wonderful for you.
    @tootsanderson - Whew, just reading your posts makes me exhausted. I am in agreement with the Paleo diet sugestions. Thanks for the Fight Song inspiration. I do like that one. Along with Kelly Clarkson, Stronger. Love to play those while I am on the bike.
    @tlh0407 - WW rafting is on my bucket list. I do think I would like to get thrown in the water. Enjoy your vacation.
    @grandmakaye44 - So good to hear hubby continues to inprove and that you found the trouble with your machine and not your hubby.
    @Methynks - Welcome to the group, post often so we can get to know you.
    @jtconst - Hope the job thingy works out for you.
    @skinnyjeanzbound - How is the job thingy for hubby?

AFM - Still have not picked up the bike. Hope tomorrow or Saturday for sure. The bike shop is only accross the pariking lot from my store. Work is still sending my all over but tomorrow I do have the entire day at the store. So maybe I will get some things done.

Oldest son completed primary treatment today. It was family night so hubby, youngest son and I were there. So now he goes to just two days a week and it is an hour later so maybe I will not have to do so much of the driving. There is no chance he can get his license back before the end of the year so this is my life for a while. He is doing really well and he is motivated. If he gets another DUI it is a mandatory 3 years in state prison. The entire group gave him very positive feedback tonight. I pray he continues to stay sober.

Am seriously considering hiring an office person a couple of days a week. It could give me a bit of a break. Will be working the next two weekends for sure.

Don't wait to reach your goal to be proud of yourself. Be proud of every step you take toward reaching that goal!

Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @lori-- can't wait to see pics of your new ride! I am an avid Tour de France fan, and as I've been watching the past few weeks, I can't help but think of you and laurie and kelley on your bikes cycling away. DH keeps getting asked back, but he's not really sure if he's still "auditioning" (as he puts it) or if he's been hired. Part of the issue is that the business hires through a temp agency. That agency is technically my DH's employer. After a certain period of time (not sure how long) the business could then hire him outright. I'm just happy every day that they ask him to come back to work. :smile:

@lauire-- don't worry, I wont work too hard. ;) Today, I did ZERO housework. Ran a few errands in the morning and then met a friend for dinner and mai tai's at a restaurant with a wonderful outdoor deck. The weather was just too beautiful to miss it today. I also ran again today--weather was still a bit on the warm side, but as you said, I just went at a slow pace and it was fine.

@kelley-- Haha--I'm more Team Star Trek than Team Star Wars, but my BIL LOVES Star Wars. Every time I see anything SW related, I post it on his wall. That's why I had that pic of the Jedi bedroom.

@tracy (tlh)-- So happy you went white water rafting!!! You rock!! Like lori, it's on my bucket list.

@kaye-- as lori said, glad it was the machine that was messed up and not your DH's BP.

AFM-- tomorrow, I'm getting my hair done and a pedi. Then on Saturday it's my godson's fiancee's bridal shower. Finally, Sunday my sister, BIL, and niece are coming to go to Lamb's Farm. Busy weekend with little time for exercise.

Thursday Truth:
    Well, the truth is I have been pretty hungry on the days I've stayed at/under my calorie goal. I know in part, it's just my body adjusting to the new intake, but I was eating less and the scale wasn't budging. I was starting to get nervous that it wasn't having any affect, but this morning the scale was down a bit. Still not below my previous low, but lower than it's been for the past few weeks.

Tuesday Goals:
    1. Move dining table and chairs DONE
    2. Clean ceiling fan.light fixture in dining room DONE
    3. Shampoo dining room area rug
    4. Clean dining room floor/baseboards
    5. Drop off clothes to GW

July Goals:

Run another 8k (Thanksgiving 2014 8k = 56:49, NYE 2014 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15; 5/9 = 59:16; 6/22 = 59:10)

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + run outside DONE
    Mon--walk gunner DONE + PT DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + PT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + run outside DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • Methynks
    Methynks Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hello All!

Thanks for the warm welcome to the group/thread and the messages, really looking fwd to getting to know you all better :-) This week has been busy as I mentioned so haven't had as much time to read up as I would've loved to - but am hoping it will change once all these annoying (lol) social events are over and done with :-)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?
    Fitness: I have a weekly to do list with my friend (each personalised to fit our abilities and time frame) and we’re keeping us updated with our progress – only first week so far but we’re on track - I only have 100 crunches (not in one go) and a 30sec plank to do, then I am done for the week . We already have a slightly more challenging target for next week, but am positive that I can manage that as well. Am a bit anxious about exercising too much too soon as I tore my ligaments in my ankle over Christmas last year (which unfortunately “helped” my gain a lot) and while it healed nicely I do get the odd stiff and twitching moments so I have to see how much I can do without aggravating it too much. But losing weight is done in the kitchen anyways, so that should not be an excuse =]
    This weekend’s eating wont be good as we’re out for a weekend trip with friends (day at the races with concert and Indian dinner afterwards, work summer party at the bosses’) so I will have to practise portion control (my biggest problem) instead of being able to plan ahead and having healthy meals. But I will dance my a*se off at the concert and will get some extra exercise in that way 

I am also planning on getting back into the gym, I have been paying for the last 2 years without really going, so that will change. But again, I am a bit worried about my ankle, I used to do (and love!) free weights training but am not sure how to start it again without having a set back with my ankle. I would definitely need a couple of hours of PT sessions – but how would I know if whatever they say is correct? How much do PTs actually know about injuries and how to exercise during the healing process?

Foodwise I am not yet sure whether to follow any specific plan or if I will just stick with healthier choices, drinking more water, eating more protein and portion control in general for the moment, I guess I can always mix it up with something like 5:2, Paleo, whole30 or anything else..

Hope you all have great weekend plans and enjoy the time off work!
  • Lauriek70
    Methynks-Welcome. When it comes to exercising and rehabbing ankles you have several options. Look on the internet for ankle strengthening and stretching exercises. Talk to your doctor about exercises. When you talk to a Personal trainer ask the questions about rehabbing injuries, if they know there stuff then go for it. Free weights start with the arms-biceps, triceps etc. Then start slowly add leg work. Just make sure you warm up the muscles before you start weight training. How is your ankle doing now, can you walk on it without any pain or swelling? If you use the circuit weight you can start just by lifting the bars with no weight and using one leg at a time. Listen to your body when you are exercise and see how your body responds. You can do core work- at this time as well. Water aerobics is great way to get started since it take the impact off your ankles.

Karen- Glad the scale is starting to move downward. I need the scale to move downward as well.

Lori- I hope you are able to hire some office help to give you a break. That is good news about your son doing well at rehab.

Today, was a good day for exercise. I did a recovery run for 45 minutes at a slow pace and completed 3.1 miles so that was exciting. Tonight was rock climbing so had a couple of great climbs and two where I stopped before the top since it was bothering my shoulder. To many overhangs tonight and I don't like climbing over the overhangs since pullups are not my forte. The climbs I did not finish completely were the hardest that I attempted tonight at 5.10.a. I am good with the outcome of tonight's climb.

Tomorrow, I may swim if I am awake in time then I will bike on Saturday.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. And I will check out Paleo.

@skinnyjeanzbound it's only as much as I deserve :D

• jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Good evening everyone. Well I had my first training session with the pt tonight and I really enjoyed it. He was nice and really paid attention and quickly modified the plan he had come up with when there were a couple things I couldn't do without definite pain. I think this is going to work out well. That's the good news. The bad news is they are sending my hubby home because they think he might have an ulcer. Apparently he is in a lot of pain and throwing up so home he comes to see the dr get fixed up and then it will be back up and back to work. That is one thing I have to say about his compay they take good care of their people and don't mess around when it looks they will need a dr. He will also still get paid for at least the next two trips even though he isn't there because he got sick on the boat and is under contract. Well I am going to go eat cause I am starving . Have a good one.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Hey guys!

No personals tonight--just a quick drive-by to check in.

Went to get my hair and pedi. I decided to go a bit darker with the hair--I will post a pic from the shower tomorrow so you can all see it. Afterwards, I finished cleaning up the dining area so we can get the other table moved into the space over the weekend. Can't wait to finally get that spare room cleaned out! I've only been talking about doing so for about 2 years now. :blush:

Food today wasn't bad and I'm not too hungry tonight. Tomorrow I have a bridal shower and I have no idea what kind of food will be there--not even sure if it is a luncheon or just snacks (evite didn't specify). I'm not too worried about going over though since I'm going to see a band in the evening which means a decent calorie burn dancing.

Friday Fitness:
    I'm happy with my 2 runs outside this week, but I wish I had made it to the gym to do some weights and core work. I may try planking tonight to see if my shoulder is healed enough to handle it. I know it's not ready to go back to doing push ups, but planks and crunches would be a great alternative when I don't get to the gym.

Still need to fit in a long run this month--looks like Monday is my only chance since I'm busy all weekend. I can't do it Tuesday or Wednesday b/c I have a race Thursday night and I always do better with a couple of rest days beforehand.

Tuesday Goals:
    1. Move dining table and chairs DONE
    2. Clean ceiling fan.light fixture in dining room DONE
    3. Shampoo dining room area rug DONE
    4. Clean dining room floor/baseboards DONE
    5. Drop off clothes to GW

July Goals:

Run another 8k (Thanksgiving 2014 8k = 56:49, NYE 2014 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15; 5/9 = 59:16; 6/22 = 59:10)

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + run outside DONE
    Mon--walk gunner DONE + PT DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + PT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + run outside DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Woot, woot! I brought home the new bike! Only had time for an 8 mile ride today but it is very fast. I am looking forward to many miles.
    @jtconst - So sorry to hear about DH. I hope he heals soon. But it will be nice to get some extra time with him. Glad your pt is listening. I hope that goes well for you also.
    @Lauriek70 - So very good for you on the running. It has been in the 80's here and I just can't bring myself to get out there to run. I will bike forever even on very hot days, but running is a different story.
    @Methynks - So good for you to have a plan. One thing that was suggested to me when I joined was to make a list of things I was willing to do, things I was not willing to do and things I may try later. I was willing to cook healthy meals, at the time I was not willing to lift weights or run. Well now I am doing those and more. But the lists made me think about a plan for getting healthy.

So here she is:
    lqqr47veqvgs.jpg

Love to all,
    Lori <3

And will you succeed? Yes, you will, indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed) ~ Dr. Suess
  • Lauriek70
    Lori- love the new bike. It looks great and will be fast. I am also very picky about when I will run and bike outside. The temps need to cooperate especially for a run.

Karen- Good luck with your long run this week. I also have a race this week but mine is Saturday. This will be calm week for running and no long run or tempo run. I am getting us to the tempo runs and increasing my speed at the same time so that is great news.

JT-Glad the new trainer is working out for you.

A good day today and I did have a nice swim this morning. I will be bike riding tomorrow morning before it gets to humid. Hope everyone has a great Sunday.
  • Geege29
    Geege29 Posts: 13 Member
    Sunday-introduce yourself:

I'm 36, a lawyer, married to my soul mate. I weighed in at 364, and I don't want to be anymore. I fought bulimia through college and law school, now I still eat, but don't purge. I want to be a size 14, whatever that weight is. Working on the inside as well as the outside.
  • ladyadraine710
    ladyadraine710 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm new to the group.Need to lose over 100 lbs.Have done it before and look forward to doing it again and keeping it off.Older now and need a little encouragement.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi All ... Sunday Share ...

Hope your Sunday has been a good one for everbody. Mine has been a warm one but not nearly as warm as other places. Actually, I've been amazed at how comfortable the weather has been for me this year.

For the new folks who are finding this thread, I'd like to say welcome and stop back often. It's always a lift for me to read about what other people are doing to lose or maintain weight. I hope what we share helps you also. So I;d like to say hello to the new posters in the past week or so ... @ladyadraine710 , @Geege29 , @Methynks , @kdylinda_com , @alexdavidwilliams , @toesinthesand862 , @sherrsuntha , @SparklingandShining , .@losingitwithkat , and anyone I've missed that's new

@Jnettie73 ... welcome back. Your adorable baby girl is looking like a really happy little girl.

AFM ... For those that don't know, I'm Niki ... 70 years old ... single the past 35 years ... mother of one and grandmother of one. I live in a small ranch house in Western New York ... now-a-days with a cat.

MyFittnessPal and I joined hands about 3 years ago. I had tried a lot of different diet approaches over the years since I started gaining weight in my mid-30's ... but the sad result of all of them was that I ended up being a yo-yo on the weight loss path. Finally I decided that I would not 'diet' any longer and just learn to eat in a healthy manner with a goal of learning how to 'eat to live, and not live to eat.' It's been a learning experience, and I haven't lost an awful lot of weight, considering that I wanted to lose half of me when I started ... but my doctor is happy that my weight is coming down. One thing I've learned is that I bore easily so I have to keep thinking up new challenges or learning activities.

For instance ... even though I log my food I haven't been paying much attention to exactly the food groups, or how many servings of each, I ate ... as long as the calories came in within 100 of my target I felt like I'd succeeded that day. Recently, my thinking has taken a new turn ... now, on a separate log since MFP does not have one for this, I am keeping track of the number of servings I have each day for the following ...
    Carbohydrates ... 1-Starchy vegetables and gains; 2-Added sugar, sweets, alcohol, 3-Vegetables, 4-Fruit.
    Beans or Legumes.
    Protein (Meat, Poulty, Seafood, Soy or Protein Powder).
    Dairy.
    Fat (butters, oils).
    Nuts & Seeds.
    MFP calories for the day.
    The purpose of this exercise is to see how much of the different food groups I actually consume in a day because I want to fine-tune it to the most nutrition-wise combination. This means, to me, that I am now in that stage that I'm eating to live.

Anyway ... I know I can be very long-winded when I'm talking about something I feel passionate about ... so I better stop yacking because I suspect a lot of you may have stopped reading about a third of the way through.

My 2015 Motto ... Follow through
    Niki
    PS ... edited for spelling, and if I missed any other miss-types, I think you'll still get the drift.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Monday check-in
    13541709.png
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Good Morning, We are hanging in here. DH is some better. He stays awake more during the day, and the pain subsides at times. Although he is still struggling with his speech, it is some better.
    I'm still doing water aerobics and got in a couple of good walks with DDs when it wasn't too hot. It took me three days to get the lawn mowed. I mowed until it got too hot each morning. I have a hard time starting the lawn mower because I am too short to get a good long pull on the rope. My weight is just hanging in there.
    I was going to spray some noxious weeds this morning, but by the time I got breakfast over and cleaned up, a breeze had come up. I don't like to spray when there is a breeze. It's too easy for the stuff to drift.
    Welcome to all the new people.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Lauriek70
    Kaye-Happy to hear that your hubby is doing better. Good idea about the mowing the lawn, no point in overdoing it in this heat and humidity.

Welcome to the new people.

Monday was a good day but I did find that I had the munchies today, especially in the afternoon. Now, I need to find an afternoon activity to stop the boredom eating. I am getting ready for a 5K run on Saturday so this week, I am dialing back the exercise. Trying to stay loose and warm up this week. Race conditions will be humid and most likely hot, start time is 8am so the humidity will be coming in and the sun will be shining. I will take it slow until I am comfortable with the weather conditions then I will speed up at the end.