Fruit...

Can someone help me out here... I've been told multiple times that in order to lose weight I shouldn't eat fruit... what do you guys think

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Not true. All you have to do is eat fewer calories than you burn; it doesn't matter (barring a few specific health conditions) what they are.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    I call BS on that...sorry but I do :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Who is telling you this?

Many fruits are high in sugar, and if that's an issue for you, then it's a good idea to reduce the amount of fruit you have, or to choose lower sugar kinds. But you don't need to stop eating it altogether.
  • shay77223
    shay77223 Posts: 29 Member
    I have thinking about this a bit myself, but I finally decided that a serving of fruit is still way healthier than an alternative snack like, say, a bag of Cheetos. Eat the fruit, enjoy it, and revel in knowing that you made a healthy choice:)
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    shay77223 wrote: »
    I have thinking about this a bit myself, but I finally decided that a serving of fruit is still way healthier than an alternative snack like, say, a bag of Cheetos. Eat the fruit, enjoy it, and revel in knowing that you made a healthy choice:)

So true and you feel healthier too
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Eat less than you burn and eat the fruit! I love summer fruit, we've got amazing watermelon, blueberries, cherries, peaches, etc etc etc! Fruit is great! Definitely a better snack than chips.
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    dalissaa wrote: »
    Can someone help me out here... I've been told multiple times that in order to lose weight I shouldn't eat fruit... what do you guys think

Go ahead and eat the fruit just don't juice it and throw away the pulp berries are good too and lower in carbs
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Eat it. Log it.
    It is good for you. Nutritious and delicious.
    Fantastic for a healthy diet.
    All things in moderation.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I eat fruit every day. I am losing weight. Whoever told you that is full of..... well obviously not fruit.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    If you are suffering from a medical condition talk to your doctor, if not eat some fruit.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member

That is nonsense. The only thing needed to lose weight is reduce calorie consumption to less than what your body burns. The actual item of food doesn't matter.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    I eat fruit all day, everyday - still losing weight. B)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Fruit has vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, etc. It's healthy and you'll feel well. Eat the fruit.
  • monicagbrown
    monicagbrown Posts: 7 Member
    There are too many peoole deficient in vitamins and minerals. Healthy, natural choices are always best. Fruit also has fiber. Very good for you!

• SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Mmm, I love fruit, eat it every day and have lost 50lbs...and counting.
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    I'm in agreement with everyone, I don't eat MUCH fruit, but only due to my goals, I keep my carbs very low when I am cutting weight so I choose to get my carbs from other places. I do eat it though, keeping it to low GI fruit or very small portions of high GI fruit. As others have said, so long as you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight, if you are in caloric surplus you will gain.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I eat two or three servings of fruit a day and am steadily losing .5 to 1 pound a week. Nothing wrong with fruit whatsoever. Fits much better into my calorie goals than cake or pastries.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Fruits and veggies have vitamins and minerals that we need. They have fiber that helps us. They're really healthy foods.

When experts talk about reducing sugar, they're talking added sugars, not the kind you get from fruits or veggies. Since fruits and veggies are so very healthy, it's a good way to get the sugar that our bodies need.

Eat your fruits and veggies. Eat a variety of colors.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Sugars and carbs are evil. Or at least that's usually the reason behind why people say to avoid fruit.

It's good for you. Eat fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2015
    nutritious whole foods are the devil and clearly the reason for the obesity epidemic.

anigif_enhanced-9684-1399935067-1.gif