Mangos

so I just love mangos but I see they are very high in carbs and also in sugar (highest of any fruit that I've noticed). Do you think it's best to avoid them while trying to lose weight?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I see no reason to avoid them.

All fruits contain carbs and sugar. There's nothing wrong with carbs and sugar. (I'm assuming you aren't diabetic or otherwise in need of limiting your carb or sugar intake.)

I suggest making your biggest focus on your calories. After that, get enough protein (keep in mind that MFP's default settings are RDA minimums and many sources suggest higher levels--I aim for .8 grams per pound of bodyweight) and enough fat (same advice wrt MFP's default settings--I am for .4 grams per pound of bodyweight.) After that, if you want to eat the rest in carbs you can do that or you can split your remaining calories anyway you want to between carbs, fat, and protein.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    not at all. You can easily fit Mango's into your daily calorie budget and balanced macro's. Carbs are your body's main source of fuel. Unless otherwise directed by a medical pro, I am a firm believer in targeting a balanced diet that targets the RDA's. That means a balance of macro's and micro's and not running deficits of macro's.

Besides, a lot of people fall of their diets when they can't enjoy foods they really like. I hear people say "Food is Fuel" all the time. It is. But I contend healthy fuel doesn't have to taste like poop. Eat a mango and enjoy. Just add it to your log and keep things within your predetermined ranges/budgets.

FWIW - I was eyeballing mango's yesterday. THey were looking good at the store and I love a mango. THey go great with some watermelon, a diced red onion, and a diced jalapeno for a fruit salsa on chicken or fish. Just sayin'.
  • Methynks
    Methynks Posts: 32 Member
    Mangos are great! Love them! I had one the other day for lunch with a big pot of creamy plain yoghurt - so yumm!

And just to add to the posts above: As long as you will see certain foods as "no-go while dieting" you will struggle as the "forbidden fruit" (literally) tastes best - but I can think of worse things that I would rather cut out of my "diet-food" than a Mango. Fit them into your allowances and truly enjoy it!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Unfortunately I don't really like fruit. Mangos are about the only fruit I do like, along with berries. I haven't had a problem eating them. I don't notice a difference when I do have them vs. when I don't. As long as I don't go over my calorie budget I'm good.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    No do not avoid just limit to a reasonable amount.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    When experts talk about avoiding sugar, they're talking about added sugars, not the sugar we get from fruits and veggies. Fruits give us vitamins and minerals that we need and fiber we can use. Since our bodies need sugar, fruits and veggies are a wonderful place to get it.

Eat your fruits and veggies. They're yummy and healthy.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I believe that if it fits in your calorie allotment and you like it...eat it
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I see no reason to avoid them.

All fruits contain carbs and sugar. There's nothing wrong with carbs and sugar. (I'm assuming you aren't diabetic or otherwise in need of limiting your carb or sugar intake.)

I suggest making your biggest focus on your calories. After that, get enough protein (keep in mind that MFP's default settings are RDA minimums and many sources suggest higher levels--I aim for .8 grams per pound of bodyweight) and enough fat (same advice wrt MFP's default settings--I am for .4 grams per pound of bodyweight.) After that, if you want to eat the rest in carbs you can do that or you can split your remaining calories anyway you want to between carbs, fat, and protein.

^^^ This.
    I set my calorie and macro goals and eat what I want as long as they fit my goals!
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input and am going to continue enjoying my mangos.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2015
    In addition to being one of the higher carb/sugar fruits, they are also very high GI.

I think that they are fine as long as you limit yourself to a reasonable portion. Like bananas, you do need to very carefully weigh and track your portions because of the nutrition of this particular fruit.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    I wonder what's fine when you don't limit yourself to a reasonable portion.

Mangos are awesome in so many ways. I only get one or two a month because peaches are so popular in our house, but they're definitely something I'd want to have room for in my diet.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    mangoes are soooo good! work them into your calorie and macro goals and enjoy!
  • jonelljohnson123
    jonelljohnson123 Posts: 22 Member
    mango sugar has to be better than a bowl of ice cream sugar. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    mango sugar has to be better than a bowl of ice cream sugar. :)

QFT!

ETA: I thought you meant tastes better, but upon reflection realize you might have meant better for you. I vigorously agree with taste (!) but demure about health impact. Sugar is sugar.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I eat TONS of fruit every day. Log and keep under deficit.