Still no weight gain

i have been eating at least 2500 calories per day or more for a little over 4 weeks with no cardio at all and still havent gained a single pound. Is anyone else having this problem??

Replies

• labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    I am willing to bet you are over estimating the amount you are eating. If you really are than you might want your thyroid checked out and I will apologize.
  • bryanna277
    bryanna277 Posts: 56 Member
    Maybe i calculate everything on here and try to get as close in measurments as i can. But even so i am usually going over in calories at least by 100 sometimes up to 400 over. Labohn91
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Get MapMyWalk on your phone, and turn it on when you're out an about. It will give you a rough idea of how many calories you should eat back. Do this for a few weeks and see if you start gaining weight again.
  • bryanna277
    Awesome thanks for the advice ezremake
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    I had to bulk at over 6000 calories/day when I was younger, and that was with little or no cardio work in the gym. I did a lot of walking around campus though. Just keep upping the calories; you will eventually find the right amount that gets the scale moving up.
  • sharhealth
    sharhealth Posts: 20 Member
    Were you underweight prior to the 2500 calories/day?

I am currently in a ED program. Started out eating 3x's as much as I usually consumed and didn't gain one bit - over 4 weeks. In fact I lost weight.

If you are at a very low weight (due to restriction) your body takes that energy it is now getting and goes to work in repairing itself. It takes a lot of energy to do this - therefore no weight gain.

I am eating 3000 calories/day (7 weeks) and am just now gaining around 1 pound per week.

Keep eating girl...it'll happen:)
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited July 2015
    First of all, I'm no expert...

How did you determine the 2500 calories? Did you use the MFP "gain xx pounds per week" method or determine your TDEE and set custom macros? I use an app called MyFitness Calculator (not related to MFP that I know of) to set my calories. It's very easy to do with this app. At your age, your metabolism must be pretty high so maybe you're burning more than you think.

As far as my own experience, I'm doing about 300 calories a day over maintenance and I've gone several weeks without a weight gain at various times since I started in March. I also spent about 10 weeks ramping up my calories about 100 at a time from 1700 to 2400. 1-5 pounds a month is typical depending, from what I've read.

I'm thinking perhaps 4 weeks isn't long enough to be concerned. You said you are not doing cardio. Are you doing any exercise at all? I see you've lost 18 pounds. Was that a goal? What are your new goals? Just to gain weight?

One last thing. I would suggest opening up your food diary so people can see what you're eating. It might help with finding answers.

Hope this helps.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Best advice I can give is to be patient. Throw 100 calories onto your daily goal, wait 2 weeks, and see what happens. If it's still stalled, throw on another 100. Rinse, repeat. Likely your daily activity cals are more than you estimate. It can be hard to estimate those.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    are you using a food scale to weigh all solid foods?
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Couple of things...one make sure that you are measuring everything accurately. Many times people either over or underestimate the amount that they eat. If that holds true, add calories (100-200) every 2 weeks until you see progress. Sometimes it can take a bit to hone in on the actual number you need to gain. Be patient and evaluate your progress every two weeks. Don't make haste decisions based off only a few days.
  • bryanna277
    I was underweight before. I was pregnant and gave birth in march and went from 130 to 104 in 2 weeks. Before i got pregnant i was 98lbs. I dont have an eating disorder just extremly high metabolism. Sharhealth
  • bryanna277
    It didnt post my whole thing
  • bryanna277
    Im a little confused on why its not posting my whole comment. If someone could help me with that too please lol
  • ndj1979
    are you using a digital food scale to weigh all solid foods?
  • bryanna277
    No i dont have one
  • ndj1979
    bryanna277 wrote: »
    No i dont have one

Ok - more than likely you are overestimating calorie portions, so you think you are eating 2500 but you are really eating less. Most peoples portion estimates are off by 25%...so if you think you are eating 2500 a 25% error rate would mean you are off by about 600 calories, so you are really eating about 1900ish..

I would highly suggest getting a food scale and weighing all your solid foods.
  • bryanna277
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    No i dont have one

Ok - more than likely you are overestimating calorie portions, so you think you are eating 2500 but you are really eating less. Most peoples portion estimates are off by 25%...so if you think you are eating 2500 a 25% error rate would mean you are off by about 600 calories, so you are really eating about 1900ish..

Ok so how would i start that because i do eat a lot of cookies chips and things like that. Do i kust weigh the meats and veg or everything i eat?
  • ndj1979
    No i dont have one

Ok so how would i start that because i do eat a lot of cookies chips and things like that. Do i kust weigh the meats and veg or everything i eat?

I would say weigh all meats, vegetables, rice, pasta, etc. I do not weight cookies, so when I have six oreos, I just log it in as six oreos. You may want to weigh out the chips though, but that is up to you.

• bryanna277
    No i dont have one

I would say weigh all meats, vegetables, rice, pasta, etc. I do not weight cookies, so when I have six oreos, I just log it in as six oreos. You may want to weigh out the chips though, but that is up to you.

Ok great thanks for the advice. What kind of scale and where would i purchase one?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    No i dont have one

Ok great thanks for the advice. What kind of scale and where would i purchase one?

I picked up one from the local walmart (instant gratification). The main thing I would look for is that it is digital and can weigh in grams (more accurate than ounces and pounds).