Interesting article about weight loss and diets

Options
I found this article on msn and thought it was interesting. I think the title is misleading though.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/how-americans-can-lose-a-lot-of-weight-without-giving-up-a-calorie/ar-AAdyEZR?ocid=ieslice

I also thought this observation was eye-opening:

"The scenarios assume a daily diet of 3,688 calories, which the researchers acknowledge is probably a lot more than the average person consumes, even in the U.S. It's the average number of calories per capita produced by the United States each day, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations."

That's a whopping amount of calories! What are your thoughts on this article? Please note this is a news article and does not reflect my personal opinion.

Replies

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Clearly the reporter can't do math. If you look at the switch that they quote, you would eat 218 calories fewer. So the premise that you would lose weight by switching to a more plant-based diet alone is false; you would lose weight due to consuming fewer calories.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Clearly the reporter can't do math. If you look at the switch that they quote, you would eat 218 calories fewer. So the premise that you would lose weight by switching to a more plant-based diet alone is false; you would lose weight due to consuming fewer calories.

This all day long.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I think it's just wrong. If you are the same number of calories as you do now, your weight would do exactly the same as it would without the change.

3688 is probably about my maintenance. I'm eating 3600 and my weight trend is down, though just hanging in there at the bottom of my maintenance range goal.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's hard to separate the calories from the "plant-based" thing. For me, anyway. Meat is not low-cal. Edamame is. Eating less meat automatically helps me drop my calories.

Nobody has to convince me that more fruits, veggies and whole-grains helps me lose weight and feel better. I know it. :)

If the studies support it, yay. If they don't, who cares.