Running 30 min ?

Is this a good idea to lose weight ?

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    It's often said that weight is lost in the kitchen, but you can burn some kcal with exercise! IF you enjoy running, go for it, but there isn't anything special about it.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter. All that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit, doesn't matter if you do exercise or not. If you want to run for 30 minutes go for it, but don't force yourself to do it just for weight loss because it isn't necessary.
  • bellesb169
    bellesb169 Posts: 41 Member
    Any form of cardio exercise combined with a healthy diet will assist with losing weight.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Depending on your stats and speed, it might burn 200 calories. But that's only half of the equation.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Sure - 30 mins of fairly rigorous running is a great calorie burn. Thats what helped me lose a bunch fo weight. But, you cant "outrun jelly doughnuts" so a solid diet is also important.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 54 Member
    Activity is never a bad thing...and eating healthy and exercising should go hand in hand!! But I have found (and been told) that losing weight is predominantly a diet thing. I found this to be true when I actually gained weight training for a marathon...and it was not all muscle...because I didn't monitor what I was eating enough.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Running burns calories, but probably not as many as you think, so don't use it as an excuse to over eat.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Running and other forms of cardio help to raise your metabolism. And depending on the intensity of the cardio workout, one can continue to burn calories well after a workout.

In my opinion, a proper weight loss program and cardio workouts work well together.
  • amsdragonfly
    amsdragonfly Posts: 152 Member
    I'm using the calorie counter to stay in deficit and run/jogging 30-40 min a day to get some exercise. I think you need to do both for weight loss- calorie deficit and exercise. As long as you're sweating, it's working, I say ;).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    As others have correctly pointed out - weight loss happens in the kitchen. The real question is.....do you want to run for 30 minutes?

Personally I can think of lots of great reasons for running but only do it you are going to enjoy it. There are a million other ways of increasing your activity level - pick one that's going to be fun. (I'm a runner, so I'm biased.....)
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    I've lost over 20 lbs since I started running. Of course I also joined MFP around the same time. Counting calories and running gave my body a double whammy. I've also dropped two pant sizes. Running is great exercise and it burns calories like nothing else.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Personally, I've found that running and eating better seem to go hand in hand for me. I reach for healthier foods because I feel better when I run after eating well, and if I feel better I run more, and if I run more I eat healthier foods more...you get the idea.

It's probably psychological but they're linked in my mind and it seems to help motivate me.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Running 30 min ? Is this a good idea to lose weight ?

No! Running is a highly addictive sport. Stay away from that stuff or you'll be doing things like.
    • Can't drink tonight. Got a run in the morning
    • Need to get up early to beat the sun (Sets alarm for 5 am)
    • 10 miles down. That's halfway already. Only 10 more to go. Woot!
    • Bring me more fries. I have a long run tomorrow.
    • 3 beers? Make it 4. I'll run it off later.
    • Tired of these non-running posts on Facebook.
    • Let me post a picture of my new shoes on Instagram
    • Here's a picture of a sunrise

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Running 30 min ? Is this a good idea to lose weight ?

No! Running is a highly addictive sport. Stay away from that stuff or you'll be doing things like.
    • Can't drink tonight. Got a run in the morning
    • Need to get up early to beat the sun (Sets alarm for 5 am)
    • 10 miles down. That's halfway already. Only 10 more to go. Woot!
    • Bring me more fries. I have a long run tomorrow.
    • 3 beers? Make it 4. I'll run it off later.
    • Tired of these non-running posts on Facebook.
    • Let me post a picture of my new shoes on Instagram
    • Here's a picture of a sunrise

Lol all of the above and more. ....do its great! !!!!!!
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    absolutely. more weight loss plus benefits on your body and morale. I am a different (hopefully better) person thanks to it, well worth a try
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Build up to it maybe try a programme such as C25K. I am on week 2 and can't imagine just running for 30 mins straight! Wd cause injury, perhaps even kill me
  • bigorangemichael
    bigorangemichael Posts: 27 Member
    There are benefits to exercise besides the (potential) for weight loss. I've found the exercising help reduce my overall stress level and sleep better.