Why is my new protein shake causing me to gain weight?

so I thought I'd create my own healthy shake to fill me up and it really works to make me full! I have it instead of snacking, about 3 glasses a day.

It consists of protein shake, almond milk, Oreos and ice cream. (The oreos aren't double stuffed and the ice cream is vanilla flavoured) I blend it all up and it tastes so good. But in the past week or so I've gained like 4 lbs :/ Should I switch to unsweetened almond milk instead of regular?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Seriously?
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Don't troll us. :s
  • bettencc87
    bettencc87 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, you're gaining weight because you're snacking on oreos and ice cream. You need to change up your midday snack with something that fills you up but doesn't have all the sugar/calories that oreos and ice cream have. Try eating something high in fiber- like veggies with hummus. You can also get protein from a hard boiled egg. There are other protein shakes that won't contain as much sugar, although many are high in calories and meant to fuel after or before a workout. If you aren't burning all of those calories through working out, there is no need to drink a protein shake at all. Good luck!
    Oh, and I think unsweetend almond milk is great always in place of regular, but again if you're eating oreos, it won't make much of a difference.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    It's probably just the batteries in your scale. Try changing them.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    That depends - is your protein shake clean?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

LOL
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    bettencc87 wrote: »
    Hi, you're gaining weight because you're snacking on oreos and ice cream. You need to change up your midday snack with something that fills you up but doesn't have all the sugar/calories that oreos and ice cream have. Try eating something high in fiber- like veggies with hummus. You can also get protein from a hard boiled egg. There are other protein shakes that won't contain as much sugar, although many are high in calories and meant to fuel after or before a workout. If you aren't burning all of those calories through working out, there is no need to drink a protein shake at all. Good luck!
    Oh, and I think unsweetend almond milk is great always in place of regular, but again if you're eating oreos, it won't make much of a difference.

Oh ok I guess that makes sense, I thought that because it was all in liquid form then my body wouldn't absorb the calories? I guess that probably wasn't the case though. I think I'll try your suggestions from now on

not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling-at-a-whole-new-level.jpg
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    I will take the bait. Here is my low cal, low sugar shake. My a1c is up so my doctor told me to watch it:
    1) Half scoop of Sprouts Vegan Protein
    2) Half a frozen banana
    3) Half a cup of frozen blueberries
    4) Quarter of a cup of Plain lowfat Greek Yogurt

250 calories and I stay full until 10:00 at which time, I either eat a small green salad, unsalted walnuts or carrots
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

:D
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited July 2015
    tumblr_inline_nbik4od1oX1r2ghad.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    It's because the Oreos aren't double stuffed - switch to double stuffed and you'll be good to go.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    OP, you are correct. Calories in liquid form do not count. They have a negative effect which actually cause you to burn even more calories. So I would be patient, and in the meantime double up on those oreos. If you can fry them up first, even better.

Good luck!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member

Oh ok I guess that makes sense, I thought that because it was all in liquid form then my body wouldn't absorb the calories? I guess that probably wasn't the case though.

My mom pretty much subsists on a liquid diet. If she wasn't getting calories from them she'd be dead.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    edited July 2015
    It's because the Oreos aren't double stuffed - switch to double stuffed and you'll be good to go.
    And be sure they are the fudge coated ones!
    And stop all that exercising! You are bulking up and that is part of your weight gain.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member

Oh ok I guess that makes sense, I thought that because it was all in liquid form then my body wouldn't absorb the calories? I guess that probably wasn't the case though. I think I'll try your suggestions from now on

A) TROLLOLOLOLOL
    B) Where's the protein?
    C) What on earth made you think this was a great idea?
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    On the off-chance that this is actually a serious post.... The first half of your shake is okay - the protein powder and the almond milk (use 10-12 oz MAX). Swap out the oreos and ice cream for fresh fruit and ice (or frozen fruit), and you'll have a healthier shake. And limit it to one per day.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Protein shakes are usually high in calories, and you are adding ice cream and Oreos? You are having a large milkshake 3 times a day. Make the shake just with almond milk and maybe just once a day. Calories are calories, whether solid or liquid. A lot folks here Will also advise not to drink your calories in any form. It's easy to gulp something and not appreciate it has the same effect as eating something of the same calorie content. If anything, liquid calories are easier for the body to absorb..it doesn't have to work as hard to break down the food.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Most of it is probably water weight. Having that 3 times a day is not a good thing either.