Why is my new protein shake causing me to gain weight?

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    It's because the Oreos aren't double stuffed - switch to double stuffed and you'll be good to go.
    And be sure they are the fudge coated ones!
    And stop all that exercising! You are bulking up and that is part of your weight gain.

I thought it was the red velvet oreos that had negative calories when they were liquified. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    so I thought I'd create my own healthy shake to fill me up and it really works to make me full! I have it instead of snacking, about 3 glasses a day.
    It consists of protein shake, almond milk, Oreos and ice cream. (The oreos aren't double stuffed and the ice cream is vanilla flavoured) I blend it all up and it tastes so good. But in the past week or so I've gained like 4 lbs :/ Should I switch to unsweetened almond milk instead of regular?

Just re-read the OP.

3 extremely high calorie milkshakes a day? And these just replace the snacks and not the actual meals?

I can't even...
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    It's because the Oreos aren't double stuffed - switch to double stuffed and you'll be good to go.
    And stop all that exercising! You are bulking up and that is part of your weight gain.

I thought it was the red velvet oreos that had negative calories when they were liquified. :)

Oh my gosh really?

As a bonus they turn your shake a pretty color!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    DKG28 wrote: »
    Protein shakes are usually high in calories, and you are adding ice cream and Oreos? You are having a large milkshake 3 times a day. Make the shake just with almond milk and maybe just once a day. Calories are calories, whether solid or liquid. A lot folks here Will also advise not to drink your calories in any form. It's easy to gulp something and not appreciate it has the same effect as eating something of the same calorie content. If anything, liquid calories are easier for the body to absorb..it doesn't have to work as hard to break down the food.

er - no, no they are not - mine this morning was 266 calories - that is not high at all, especially as I had it as my breakfast.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Try switching to organic oreos
  • jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Whaaaaaa
    You should probably replace the ice cream and Oreo's with something healthy; yes on the unsweetened almond milk, half banana, ice and pro powder and BAM that's like a mere 230 cal. Good luck!
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Switch to nutter butters...youll get double the protein LOL
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Try switching to organic oreos

Yeah but only if they're organic and clean.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Yeah this is a definitely a troll. I'll play along, because I'm bored and why not: OP. Calorie surplus is why you're gaining on the shakes. You need to count up the calories from what you're putting in the shakes and figure out how many you're consuming at the end of the day, because you're clearly eating too much of what you're putting in the shakes. Ice cream and oreos are extremely calorie dense, which means you don't need a lot of them to rack up the calories. Find out what calories are a deficit for you with MFP and then eat within those calories.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »

I'm still trying to find these in stores. Le sigh.

Seriously though, if you like the cookie taste then maybe look for a cookies n cream flavored protein powder. Protein powder is usually sweet enough for me so you could switch to unsweetened almond milk for less added sugar. Throw in some fruit and/or greek yogurt. Good to go! Also the calories count. Not sure why you thought liquid calories wouldn't, but definitely get a food scale, weigh all your food, and log accurately.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Problem probably is the vanilla flavoured ice cream. I think if you use Oreo ice cream the calories for those would cancel those from the cookies.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »
    OP, you are correct. Calories in liquid form do not count. They have a negative effect which actually cause you to burn even more calories. So I would be patient, and in the meantime double up on those oreos. If you can fry them up first, even better.

Good luck!

Fry them? Surely you mean batter those babies up and DEEP-fry them. Just frying them would cause all the yummy goodness to seep out and that would be so sad...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited July 2015
    Whaaaaaa
    You should probably replace the ice cream and Oreo's with something healthy; yes on the unsweetened almond milk, half banana, ice and pro powder and BAM that's like a mere 230 cal. Good luck!

If this was for a meal like breakfast or lunch, fine. But 230 calories for just a snack (three times a day, too!) is still too high. ;)
  • lisajane4271
    lisajane4271 Posts: 12 Member
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    bettencc87 wrote: »
    Hi, you're gaining weight because you're snacking on oreos and ice cream. You need to change up your midday snack with something that fills you up but doesn't have all the sugar/calories that oreos and ice cream have. Try eating something high in fiber- like veggies with hummus. You can also get protein from a hard boiled egg. There are other protein shakes that won't contain as much sugar, although many are high in calories and meant to fuel after or before a workout. If you aren't burning all of those calories through working out, there is no need to drink a protein shake at all. Good luck!
    Oh, and I think unsweetend almond milk is great always in place of regular, but again if you're eating oreos, it won't make much of a difference.

Oh ok I guess that makes sense, I thought that because it was all in liquid form then my body wouldn't absorb the calories? I guess that probably wasn't the case though. I think I'll try your suggestions from now on

not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling-at-a-whole-new-level.jpg
    I was just thinking the same thing....I smell.....SABOTAGE!!!!

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    1sUiNyxaRriKs.gif
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    https://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/

A calorie is a calorie. Doesn't matter whether you chew it or drink it.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »
    OP, you are correct. Calories in liquid form do not count. They have a negative effect which actually cause you to burn even more calories. So I would be patient, and in the meantime double up on those oreos. If you can fry them up first, even better.

Good luck!

Fry them? Surely you mean batter those babies up and DEEP-fry them. Just frying them would cause all the yummy goodness to seep out and that would be so sad...

omg, yes, thank you for this correction! Obviously you need to BATTER AND DEEP FRY oreos, then blend them into your shake. THAT is what turns liquid into negative calories.
  • jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Whaaaaaa

If this was for a meal like breakfast or lunch, fine. But 230 calories for just a snack (three times a day, too!) is still too high. ;)

Ah yes I do use this for meal replacement, ha! Well half the amount of pro powder might help! Don't overthink it lady!