Only 10lbs Struggle!

pski716
pski716 Posts: 1 Member
I've been trying to lose 10 lbs for so long! I'll lose 5lbs then bounce back up again between 138-145 and I can't quite reach the goal! Any tips or people that know my struggle?

Replies

• robjenmac
    robjenmac Posts: 9 Member
    Yes! I have weighed between 135-145 for 10 years post pregnancy but over the last 3 years I have climbed to 149:( I just joined a weight loss competition on this forum to try and reach my goal of 135 by Thanksgiving. We can do this!
  • carole4000
    carole4000 Posts: 50 Member
    pski716 wrote: »
    I've been trying to lose 10 lbs for so long! I'll lose 5lbs then bounce back up again between 138-145 and I can't quite reach the goal! Any tips or people that know my struggle?

• carole4000
    carole4000 Posts: 50 Member
    Hi. I'm the same! 145lb at Christmas and now around 140-141 for weeks. I did see 139lb one week but not for a while. Would love to be below 140lb. Eating loads of veg, fruit, yoghurts, protein and aiming for 10,000 steps a day with my Fitbit. Very slow weight loss but getting there.
  • YellowApple666
    YellowApple666 Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2015
    That's when you need to be extra accurate with your logging. I lost some weight with MFP then eventually stopped logging and started eating intuitively and lost some more weight. However, I had to bite the bullet and start tracking again when it came to the last 7 lbs which didn't seem to go away! (and it worked)
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    That's when you need to be extra accurate with your logging. I lost some weight with MFP then eventually stopped logging and started eating intuitively and lost some more weight. However, I had to bite the bullet and start tracking again when it came to the last 7 lbs which didn't seem to go away! (and it worked)
    Did you increase your calories or eat at the same deficit? I'm in the last 7 too and the weight hasn't moved for a month now.
  • YellowApple666
    samra338 wrote: »
    Did you increase your calories or eat at the same deficit? I'm in the last 7 too and the weight hasn't moved for a month now.
    I can't really answer that question because my exercise routine changed since last winter so now I move a bit less and eat a bit less. Not much of a difference, anyway.

I'm not going insane about accuracy, for example I usually don't weigh prepackaged food, I eyeball when I eat out and I don't weigh portions when I'm sharing the meal with someone, but I think it was enough to get me out of the plateau.
    Overestimating exercise calories might also be a factor! You may want to eat back 50-75% of them or switch to the TDEE method and adjust if needed.
    This is very helpful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    I was eating a portion of my exercise calories (less than 50 %) and was losing slowly but steadily. When I reached the last 10, tried increasing my cals to TDEE -15% and hit a plateau! This week, I have reverted back to 1200 and eating a portion of my exercise calories, so, let's see!
  • lesleyann2711
    lesleyann2711 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm 10lb away from my goal.. Seeing changed in shape but not on the scales
  • RockstarRip
    RockstarRip Posts: 1 Member
    Hi All,

I'm a vegetarian gal, about to turn 45 years old. Things just don't work like they used to. ;)

The struggle I'm having is:

- Losing those pesky 10 lbs.
    - Hard to get a full exercise routine in because I have a herniated disc injury that I can't seem to get rid of.
    - Not drinking.
    - Etc.

Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas would be great and appreciated.
    Thank you.

• MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2015
    I've heard from many nutritionists and people in the fitness industry that when you are losing a lot of weight and get down close to your goal, those last 10 lbs are "vanity weight."

For example, I too struggle with trying to lose 10 lbs that I gained over the course of 1.5 years. But I've realized this is because I am currently at a good, healthy weight. I'm fit, healthy, and normal. However, I don't like the way these 10 lbs LOOK ON ME. I want to lose it for vanity.

Also, when you get closer to your goal weight, you need to look at your macros more carefully. Because that can determine your body composition. You can be in a calorie deficit by eating all junk but you won't get the figure you're looking for... Just a thought :)
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    MrsSchimmy wrote: »
    I've heard from many nutritionists and people in the fitness industry that when you are losing a lot of weight and get down close to your goal, those last 10 lbs are "vanity weight."

For example, I too struggle with trying to lose 10 lbs that I gained over the course of 1.5 years. But I've realized this is because I am currently at a good, healthy weight. I'm fit, healthy, and normal. However, I don't like the way these 10 lbs LOOK ON ME. I want to lose it for vanity.

Absolutely agree with this! I'm quite fit and healthy, and yet I'm still trying to lose that 5lb because of some picture I have in my head. The other thing I've noticed is that even though I've been slowly making progress, I've also been making myself miserable - poring over recipes and counting calories... making me wonder what's the point if I'm not happy?

• mnsmov15
    mnsmov15 Posts: 277 Member
    katnoir1 wrote: »

Absolutely agree with this! I'm quite fit and healthy, and yet I'm still trying to lose that 5lb because of some picture I have in my head. The other thing I've noticed is that even though I've been slowly making progress, I've also been making myself miserable - poring over recipes and counting calories... making me wonder what's the point if I'm not happy?

I also absolutely agree with this. Also, for people like me who have lost a lot of weight - I feel it takes a while for our mental body image to catch up with our new body and I am using the time of slow loss to catch up mentally - and assure myself that I do look good now and the last 10 are vanity/for myself. No one else. I do look good, I am healthy and this last 10 is like cherry on top - improvement goal instead of weight loss goal.
    It is easy to be frustrated and feel like a loser when things don't work. But remembering how far I have come and how I have maintained the loss for 5 years - puts things in perspective! That helps me deal with the slow loss
    Also I am trying to focus more on "looking better" goals "fit into clothes better" goals than scale alone! :)
  • dmaldonado816
    dmaldonado816 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    I feel your pain. I have been trying the 21 day fix diet and lost 6 lbs. I know how easily it can gain back so Im not going to get too comfortable. It has to become a lifestyle change from working out for 30 minutes a day to portion sizing and planning your diet. It took me over a year to get on track. I have cut out meat besides turkey, ham, and occasionally chicken or tofu. Egg whites are your friend and always drink water. I once had a high metabolism but now I am 24 years old and it is not easy.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    mnsmov15 wrote: »

I also absolutely agree with this. Also, for people like me who have lost a lot of weight - I feel it takes a while for our mental body image to catch up with our new body and I am using the time of slow loss to catch up mentally - and assure myself that I do look good now and the last 10 are vanity/for myself. No one else. I do look good, I am healthy and this last 10 is like cherry on top - improvement goal instead of weight loss goal.
    It is easy to be frustrated and feel like a loser when things don't work. But remembering how far I have come and how I have maintained the loss for 5 years - puts things in perspective! That helps me deal with the slow loss
    Also I am trying to focus more on "looking better" goals "fit into clothes better" goals than scale alone! :)

It would also help us all if our media would actually show us what a healthy normal weight looks like on a woman. Instead, we get too thin models and photos that have normal bodies photoshopped into some grotesque unattainable ideal. And even the fitness model look might not be attainable to some of us (depending on genetic shape and genetic fat distribution) without hours in the gym and pretty severe deprivation. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it won't happen overnight and it won't be easy. Based on experience, it will take more than the 20-30 minute workouts that are sold to us! So sometimes it becomes a choice between two good things--a less stringent lifestyle with a healthy body, or the perfect body with lots of time and attention spent to get and maintain it. Either is a valid choice, by the way.

For me, because I tend to store weight in my mid section, and not in my arms and legs, I think I will be a skeleton before I get a six pack! So I've decided to lighten up and just continue to focus on staying a healthy weight and improving my strength.

• mnsmov15
    mnsmov15 Posts: 277 Member
    tigerblue wrote: »
    mnsmov15 wrote: »

It would also help us all if our media would actually show us what a healthy normal weight looks like on a woman. Instead, we get too thin models and photos that have normal bodies photoshopped into some grotesque unattainable ideal. And even the fitness model look might not be attainable to some of us (depending on genetic shape and genetic fat distribution) without hours in the gym and pretty severe deprivation. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it won't happen overnight and it won't be easy. Based on experience, it will take more than the 20-30 minute workouts that are sold to us! So sometimes it becomes a choice between two good things--a less stringent lifestyle with a healthy body, or the perfect body with lots of time and attention spent to get and maintain it. Either is a valid choice, by the way.

For me, because I tend to store weight in my mid section, and not in my arms and legs, I think I will be a skeleton before I get a six pack! So I've decided to lighten up and just continue to focus on staying a healthy weight and improving my strength.

I agree with you. I have the exactly opposite problem though. I have a very flat tummy and thick cottage cheese thighs. An upper body I am very happy with, and a lower body - that slightly embarrasses me - this is with me never having issues trying to motivate myself to workout - I am just a grazer and working hard on stopping my unconscious habit of eating/tasting my way through everything I touch -With the last 10, it takes more discipline than that to create a deficit. :neutral:
  • kittyguillette
    kittyguillette Posts: 8 Member
    That's when you need to be extra accurate with your logging. I lost some weight with MFP then eventually stopped logging and started eating intuitively and lost some more weight. However, I had to bite the bullet and start tracking again when it caame to the last 7 lbs which didn't seem to go away! (and it worked)

• YellowApple666
    That's when you need to be extra accurate with your logging. I lost some weight with MFP then eventually stopped logging and started eating intuitively and lost some more weight. However, I had to bite the bullet and start tracking again when it caame to the last 7 lbs which didn't seem to go away! (and it worked)

As I said, I can't really answer the question because my activity level was different. I ate a bit less while losing the last pounds but I was also moving a bit less. I just entered my new stats into MFP and let it do the math. I also have a Fitbit which helps me figure out how much I burn. You don't HAVE to get a Fitbit of course, but it was helpful.

Remember that a small loss can VEEERY EASILY be masked by hormonal fluctuations and a number of factors.