August 2015 Running Challenge

Stoshew71
Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
Hi everyone. This is a continuation from the July (2015) Running Challenge which can be found at:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10198809/july-2015-running-challenge

Anyone can join in. New & Old. And if you found this thread late, you can join in at any time.
We have members that are total beginners all the way to marathon maniacs and beyond. We are a friendly and encouraging bunch.

Here the details from last month that applies here again.

Anybody want to join me for a running challenge? Set a goal here and mark it every day here. OPTIONAL: You can post your progress by creating a ticker at http://www.tickerfactory.com (If creating ones seems difficult, then don't let that stop you. Just type in your daily miles here.)

You can run, walk, or do treadmill. Just be consistent. I am setting a goal for 200 miles. However, don't let that worry you. Some can do 25, 50; whatever you like. We can help motivate each other. What do you say? if you are new to running, set a low goal.

You can set your goal now but wait until Saturday August 1st to log your runs.

Also, don't forget to join our group which can be found at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange

There you will find lots of good info, and it's a place where everyone can talk to each other for further motivation. It's also a place to find help when there is a problem with this thread.

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker.
Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

Good luck! And happy running (or walking or treadmilling, ect). If you have any trouble or have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Stan

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2015
    Based on the somewhat fluid increase in mileage over the last two months, I think I will go for 220 miles for August.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    @stoshew71, thanks for coordinating the August challenge!

I'm in for 100 miles in August after making my 90 in July. Much will depend on how my Achilles recovers.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Ah I wanted to be first @whatmerunning! ha ha!!!

I'll go back to 120 miles this month.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    I'm in, no idea what my goal will or should be but I will log my steps. I met my steps easy last time so I'll restrict my entries this time to just exercise steps. Steps not just from work and such.
  • dstock80
    dstock80 Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2015
    First timer on this. Going to give 100 miles a shot. Wish me luck, and best of luck to all of you!

exercise.png
  • Erin9607
    Erin9607 Posts: 31 Member
    Hi everyone,

I will be aiming for 100km / 77.50 miles for the month of August.

I don't have a lot of time, so I will be working on increasing my speed versus distance once I can run a straight 5km without walking. May add on a few kms per week. Time will tell :)

• KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    I am in for another 100 miles.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member

I couldn't believe I was first to reply. I had to take a call between the time I pulled it up and replied. I figured by then it would be on page 2. I just got lucky, I guess! :smile:
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    I have 29 miles planned for August. My bigger goal is to be able to run outside again without my leg hurting. The indoor track is making a little crazy.
  • mandync5497
    mandync5497 Posts: 56 Member
    I'm in for 25 miles.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member

Twins! I will also be aiming for 120 miles in the month of August.

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    I'm hoping for at least 50 miles in August -- starting a half training program this month.
  • dextersp68
    dextersp68 Posts: 8 Member
    I've been running 8 to 10 km per day so based on that I will commit to running 240 km in August.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    I'm in again... kicking it up a notch to 150 mi, feet don't fail me now!
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Well, since I've just joined a lunchtime run club, I'm in for 30km.
  • 77irises
    77irises Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm aiming for 55 miles for August. I will wrap up my first week of training for a 5k this week, so combining running and walking, I think I can hit the 55 goal. I walked 2.0 miles today.

exercise.png
  • jneen29
    jneen29 Posts: 27 Member
    My first time joining the challenge, my goal is to run 40 miles in August.
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 182 Member
    I am going to try for 35 again.

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Joining @autumnblade75 and @skippygirlsmom with a goal of 120. Way under that for July, but my travel schedule is way lighter in August and hopefully won't get sick in the middle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm in- according to my programming I'm sitting at 75 miles for the month. Man- that's a hefty jump!!!

I suspect I might be a run or two short- but I'm going to do my best!!! WOOT WOOT!