Best Forms of Exercise in a Heat Wave...

Options
2»

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Running in the heat really kicks my butt but I like bicycling in the heat.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    It's been really hot (40C/105F) in my area this week, and VERY humid. I have not been motivated to bike or jog at all...

Any suggestions (besides walking and swimming) for active things to do outside that aren't so tough in the heat?

Well, any exertion in hot, humid conditions is going to be more of a challenge, not sure what kind of answer you're hoping for...

That said, it's similarly disgusting out where I am, too, with poor air quality. I feel like somebody's giving my lungs an unwanted squeeze. Staying inside, for sure
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Oh my god I can't even imagine..! I live in Scotland and our July has been rainy and averaging about 16C. even exercising outside in our weather I overheat and my face is bright red! I even struggle in the air conditioned gym unless I'm positioned in front of the fan. I must be a very hot blooded lady! I think I would just keel over and die in 40C!
    My suggestion would be to wait til it passes, or swim in a cool pool if possible. Not much use I'm afraid!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    get up and out before the sun. try cycling. swimming sounds like it would be awesome in those conditions - why so against it?

my answer to that would be "hair management"
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything dangerous. It's always hot where I am in the summer. I exercise indoors with AC, or get it done outside before 8am.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    the_texreb wrote: »
    as you workout in the heat more, you'll get used to it.

We have 2-4 days a year like this...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - going to try to get up earlier to get out there, I think.

I wish for only 2-4 days a year...try 2-4 months! I keep thinking...hopefully only 6 more weeks of this at most.

I live in Texas...do I need to say more...

If I leave the house around 6:30 AM...it is tolerable. Sometimes even at 9 at night it is still over 90 degrees.

That's what I'm sayin! I live on the gulf coast and it's that hot for all of July and August. That's why I have a gym membership!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    get up and out before the sun. try cycling. swimming sounds like it would be awesome in those conditions - why so against it?

my answer to that would be "hair management"

oh. ok OP
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    kittyr77 wrote: »
    Oh my god I can't even imagine..! I live in Scotland and our July has been rainy and averaging about 16C. even exercising outside in our weather I overheat and my face is bright red! I even struggle in the air conditioned gym unless I'm positioned in front of the fan. I must be a very hot blooded lady! I think I would just keel over and die in 40C!
    My suggestion would be to wait til it passes, or swim in a cool pool if possible. Not much use I'm afraid!

I'm living in Wales so sharing the miserable weather. We've had our summer for this year. I believe it was a Wednesday.

I run along a tree lined canal so it's nice and shaded