For the postpartum mamas

ischmelle
ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
Hi moms! I am 8 weeks postpartum and am having some problems and was wondering if I was the only one. I delivered almost 2 weeks overdue and had a VERY long labor that ended with 5 hours of pushing before they decided to do a c-section. And, after the birth, my milk never increased over 4 oz a day and I got a horrible rash that the doctor thinks was hormone related from the breastfeeding. After 3 weeks of trying to breastfeed with zero results, we decided to do formula. So, after the horrible birth and miserable time trying to breastfeed, I am having trouble with eczema, weight and body aches. I can't seem to even begin to lose weight and that is partly because I have pain in my joints SO BAD that it hurts to walk. With the pain I have with walking, I can't imagine working out at a level that it takes to burn more calories! I try to go on the bike, but it takes so much effort to even do a minimal amount that I feel defeated. Anyone else have these body aches after birth? If you did, what did you do to relieve the pain?

Replies

• Naytayshay23
    Naytayshay23 Posts: 4 Member
    Hey girly, I am so sorry you are going through this. What a strong Mommy you are for going through all that and taking the best care you can of your little baby, you are wonderful for doing so! I too have a little baby, she just turned 4 1/2 months, so I feel your pain. What is really helping me lose the weight is watching what I eat. Although I am nursing I'm not really able to workout so it's helped me to watch what I eat and walk a little. I don't know if working out on the bike and sweating while working out is irritating your eczema (both my children and husband have eczema as well) so the less moisture they have the better they are. What I had to do for my baby was use the Aveeno Baby for Eczema Wash and lotion, that has cleared up her skin soo much! I would recommend you use it too and see if it helps you.. It took me till almost 12 weeks post partum to not feel pain, so give yourself a little time to heal :) It helped me to move slowly and not lift anything other than my baby to feel better, start small... You are doing awesome and you are a strong beautiful Mama!!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    I'm still pregnant, but after my last baby it took me a long time to get back to feeling like myself. A 5 minute walk would take 10-15 minutes and I didn't lose any weight for as long as I counted breastfeeding into my calories.

I don't know about pain in the joints personally, but my mom tells stories about how she got arthritis after I was born. It was so bad she could hardly change my diaper and she needed a lot of help. I'd highly recommend looking into this and discussing it with your doctor. It went away in time for her.

In the meantime for weight loss, carrying and delivering a baby (especially with your birth experience) is a BIG DEAL. Give yourself some grace. Sleep as much as you can, drink lots of water, and eat as healthy as you can. Diet is the best way to control your weight at this point.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    You said you also had a rash? Any fever? What about thrush? That can cause aches and rash. Did anyone rule out other causes of the aches? I don't know where you live but lymes disease is bad where I live. Drink plenty of water, get rest and give yourself a break, you just had a baby!
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    I'm not in much pain, but I do still have some joints/tendon pain, mostly in my right hand when I wake up and I am 3 months postpartum. It's very weird. And lower back too. Apparently it's normal because the relaxin is still in your body. Like Ganzelly suggested, maybe try to see if there is another cause for the aches? Did you do any blood test? It may take a while to get back to normal, give yourself some time though. Maybe just concentrate on eating healthy, wholesome foods for now.

Congratulations BTW!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Congratulations on your new baby, and for getting through such a tough birth experience! I had a relatively easy labor, but also ended up having a c-section. I remember I started to feel much better around day 5, and by the time they took out my staples I felt about 90%. Now, 14 weeks postpartum, I don't even have the achey twinges in my incision area that lingered until just a few weeks ago. I do get tendon pain like fit_mama30 described, but I attributed it to the way I carry my son.

Even though I feel like I've recovered physically from the pregnancy & delivery, I am definitely not ready to work out like I used to. Lack of sleep has been kicking my butt, especially since I've been back to work for ten-hour days. So I can relate there. I agree with other posters that have said to go easy on yourself, rest as best as you can (with an 8-week old, ha ha ha...) and make good food choices. I've given myself a pass on returning to the regular workout routine until my son starts sleeping more regularly and I can get at least six hours of sleep at night. And I'm not worried about losing the weight until after he's weaned. For now, I'm just concentrating on not gaining any more weight. Easing up on myself has really helped my stress level and allowed me to focus on enjoying these precious days with my son. Soon enough he'll be a big boy...

Hope you feel better soon!