From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Replies

• peiotter
    peiotter Posts: 35 Member
    Wow...Thank you so much for sharing your practice.
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    edited July 2015
    ngaliyin wrote: »
    Congratulations!!!!!!!! You look AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Thank you for doing your thing and being an inspiration.

1. There's a belief that eating at a deficit while lifting preserves muscles but doesn't grow them. Do you think your muscles grew in that first year as you dropped the fat and lifted on a deficit?

2. You were lifting 5/6 days per week - did you find that not taking rest days in between affected you in any way?

I do ICF 5x5 and for 2.5 weeks did it 5/6 days per week, but I've been counseled here on MFP to cut back and take the rest days recommended for the program. I am doing so now. I know you weren't following said program specifically, but still you were doing the exercises in the program - squats, presses, deadlifts etc. I'm just interested in knowing with the experience you now have, what would be your thoughts on this?

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Thank you! :blush:

In my experience and research, I've found that under certain circumstances, you can build some muscle on a calorie deficit. Here is a photo that shows my personal progress. There is a 9 month difference between each photo, 18 months total time, while eating between 1200-1500 calories/day. I can't say exactly how much muscle was gained but I am happy so far and am excited about what the next 9 months will do.

c21g0xgktdr9.jpg

You'll learn that a lot of people will come and go throughout your journey who think they know everything about everything, but it's going to be up to you to figure out what is valuable information to you and what is not. And while yes, the "norm" is to take days off between work outs, I preferred to work out (practically) daily for that first year.

I say "train legs like you mean it" and that's what I did. HOWEVER, please note that I was not lifting as heavy as I possibly could've. I used a challenging weight, nothing too strenuous but I was consistent. It kept me focused, interested and helped to keep my motivation high also. I would take an extra day of rest when I felt like I needed it, but having a desk job and making sure that I got 8 hrs of sleep a night, helped me to recover quickly.

Here is a video I made to help answer you guys on my experience with body recomp if you'd like to check it out. Hopefully I answered your questions! Best of luck to you here. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ke_RdVC2I
  • GenElizabeth
    And thank you very much all! :blush:
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    What an inspirational person! You look incredible, and thank you for sharing your tips.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Amazing transformation. Thanks for sharing. I think the thing with body recomposition is that it is more feasible for a novice. The leaner you are, the harder it would be to achieve incremental gains.
  • GenElizabeth
    edited July 2015
    edwardetr wrote: »
    Amazing transformation. Thanks for sharing. I think the thing with body recomposition is that it is more feasible for a novice. The leaner you are, the harder it would be to achieve incremental gains.

You sir, are correct! I mention that in my video as well as a few other things on recomp.

For myself, in the future, I will be transitioning to bulking/cutting vs staying on a deficit, to keep the progress rolling. Feeling much more comfortable with the idea of eating more now so that's exciting. :blush:

Thank you @opalsqueak007 :wink:
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    No words except you go girl!!
  • ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    ngaliyin wrote: »
    Congratulations!!!!!!!! You look AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Thank you for doing your thing and being an inspiration.

1. There's a belief that eating at a deficit while lifting preserves muscles but doesn't grow them. Do you think your muscles grew in that first year as you dropped the fat and lifted on a deficit?

2. You were lifting 5/6 days per week - did you find that not taking rest days in between affected you in any way?

I do ICF 5x5 and for 2.5 weeks did it 5/6 days per week, but I've been counseled here on MFP to cut back and take the rest days recommended for the program. I am doing so now. I know you weren't following said program specifically, but still you were doing the exercises in the program - squats, presses, deadlifts etc. I'm just interested in knowing with the experience you now have, what would be your thoughts on this?

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Thank you! :blush:

In my experience and research, I've found that under certain circumstances, you can build some muscle on a calorie deficit. Here is a photo that shows my personal progress. There is a 9 month difference between each photo, 18 months total time, while eating between 1200-1500 calories/day. I can't say exactly how much muscle was gained but I am happy so far and am excited about what the next 9 months will do.

c21g0xgktdr9.jpg

You'll learn that a lot of people will come and go throughout your journey who think they know everything about everything, but it's going to be up to you to figure out what is valuable information to you and what is not. And while yes, the "norm" is to take days off between work outs, I preferred to work out (practically) daily for that first year.

I say "train legs like you mean it" and that's what I did. HOWEVER, please note that I was not lifting as heavy as I possibly could've. I used a challenging weight, nothing too strenuous but I was consistent. It kept me focused, interested and helped to keep my motivation high also. I would take an extra day of rest when I felt like I needed it, but having a desk job and making sure that I got 8 hrs of sleep a night, helped me to recover quickly.

Here is a video I made to help answer you guys on my experience with body recomp if you'd like to check it out. Hopefully I answered your questions! Best of luck to you here. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ke_RdVC2I

I appreciate you hugely for taking the time to go into such detail with your response. Thank you!!! The video is awesome and I learned a lot from it. Your July 2015 picture totally rocks!!! What you have accomplished in 18 short months is proof that your system works...fast. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fourstar143
    fourstar143 Posts: 2 Member
    Wow
  • BeautifullyB
    BeautifullyB Posts: 41 Member
    Incredible results! Awesome job!
  • kimchiprawn
    kimchiprawn Posts: 52 Member
    You're glowing with beauty! Great achievement!! :D
  • louiseyates1
    louiseyates1 Posts: 108 Member
    Wow! Amazing results ☺
  • tinaolsson
    tinaolsson Posts: 109 Member
    Wow you look great! Well done!! :smiley:
  • GenElizabeth
    Thanks everyone. :blush: Hoping for gym at some point today but it's a busy day so we'll see! :open_mouth:

Happy Saturday all!!! Make it a good one. :wink:
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    You rock and so does your success, thanks for sharing :)
  • tdaynee
    tdaynee Posts: 3 Member
    Boss!
  • GenElizabeth
    @sexysizeme LOVE that name!! Thank you, lol. :blush:

@tdaynee That makes my day! :sunglasses:
  • snshine1028
    snshine1028 Posts: 44 Member
    so amazing!!
  • Nnekaschild
    Nnekaschild Posts: 26 Member
    Hey GenElizabeth. Well done on your achievement. You look fabulous!!

I am currently aiming for 1300 cals a day with minimum 120g protein and maximum 100g carbs.

I am stuck for meal ideas and have found that to hit my macros I need to eat A LOT of chicken breast, skinless white fish and vegetables.

What were your staple foods for sticking to your 1300 calories a day? I need to get inventive.

Thanks
  • RV_08
    RV_08 Posts: 34 Member
    Wow, you look amazing! Well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!