Restarters: What's different this time?

Replies

• itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    I lost 80 lbs. in 2011. I stopped eating right and gained it all back. I know now that I have to remain vigilant and committed. That's it. :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    This time I will try to be more aware if depression comes sneaking back, and not let it sideline me. I know I can eat pretty much whatever I want if I exercise regularly, and exercise helps with depression. My depression doesn't always manifest itself in sadness. Sometimes it's just apathy or irritability. So it's too easy for me to say, "Meh, I don't want to run today," and eat some chocolate instead. Double whammy, because going for a run would make me feel better, and if I still wanted that chocolate, it would fit better in my calories.

But all in all, with all the stressful things (death in the family, job loss, money problems, legal issues, injuries, expensive home repairs, etc.) that happened during my depressive episode, getting through it gaining ~20 pounds doesn't seem all that bad. There's certainly worse ways to cope than eating too much, so I'm not beating myself up about it.
  • Janevien77
    Janevien77 Posts: 8 Member
    This time I'm making sure I'm not undereating since last time that was my main problem. I never counted calories and only a couple of months ago I realised I had been undereating - apparently I was consuming under 1000 calories a day for months!! So this time I'm making sure I'm eating enough in order to achieve my goal and finally go to maintenance.. Also, I'm not restricting the types of foods I'm eating as much. I allow myself to have a treat even if it's a bit over my calories for the day = simply trying to establish long-term habits.
    I'm also following a 90-day exercise program which is a lot more challenging if I compare it to the exercises I did last time I tried to lose weight. Last time I was doing 2-3 sets of various exercises like plank, squats, lunges, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. and this time I'm doing 20-25 min workouts - cardio, toning, HIIT and I find myself really pushing myself and sweating a lot.
    So hopefully I'll finally get to my goal weight (actually I don't weight myself often.. all of this is more about how I feel in my body) and keep exercising not only for weight loss. :)
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    I've tried a few times over the years, or more than a few times. I've been big for just about ever- since older childhood. Hit 190 around 13 years of age.

1. My motivation to make the changes this time was different and more powerful. I got gestational diabetes when pregnant with my son and I was so upset. I changed the way I ate and walked for exercise- lost weight with the approval of my Dr. during pregnancy. About a year after he was born, my weight soared to a place I never thought I'd see. Being tired all the time, moody, and not being able to feel like I could keep up with my new toddler all pushed me into making a serious commitment.

2. Knowledge is power. And it was so simple- calories in, calories out. Coming to MFP and actually taking a good hard look at everything I was eating and portion sizes was a real eye-opener. I'm not sure if I could ever go back to eating the way I did because I could look at food and do a pretty good estimate now and many times that's enough to say No or I'll only eat a small portion of it. The forums have also been tremendously informative.

3. I got serious about exercise and slogged through it on days I really didn't want to. This improved my energy and mood. So even if I'm not feeling it, I still force myself to do something- even if it's just rocking around the house cleaning or a walk.
  • Imogensmom
    Imogensmom Posts: 17 Member
    I'm logging everything even when I totally have a non diet day -- I am exercising most days for an hour. I'm not thinking / expecting to lose the weight fast or lose more than 2 pounds a week
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    This time around I'm taking more advantage of the FREE support from other active MFP members. Before many of my support group centered around friends/family who have simply lost interest. Now I enjoy logging in and seeing what other's are doing to stay motivated, new recipe ideas, and to stay active and often I incorporate their ideas into my own plan.
  • Lilredcat
    Lilredcat Posts: 9 Member
    Hi! I'm Nat. I'm a binge eater and I'm lazy. I tried low carb/low cal/low everything with the Dr B diet 2 years ago (husband did it and I followed along) and I lost 20 pounds in 3 months. But all we are was egg white and veg for breakfast and salad with chicken for lunch and dinner. It was easy because I like repetition and knowing what to make (I cannot multitask) and we have 2 young kids who are both very picky eaters (and ASD). But it got boring. And once we fell off the wagon we really fell.

Now I'm trying to log my calories and just portion control. This way I can have a slice of pizza - but not 6!! So there's a treat but it's not insane. My plan (wishful thinking?) is to find recipes I like and that my husband will eat (not easy) and to just make a weekly plan of easy, fast meals. I cannot multitask and I have major kitchen anxiety each time I have to cook. It's frustrating but this has to be a life choice not a bandaid fix.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    For me, buying a food scale and using it almost religiously. In the past I logged my food but was constantly underestimating my calories. I lost maybe 20# before, and gave up. This time I am down 55#, I eat what I lil, but I'm very honest with myself now. I only cut out foods that I would overeat/drink lil soda, chips, and cookies. I can now eat those things in moderation, 6months later, but tend to choose lower calorie options(100cal snack packs or diet soda) so that I can eat more filling foods.

And I've been participating in challenge groups where I meet certain cardio, strength, and flexibility goals each week. This has helped me in so many ways, not food related. I am just achieving overall success tho time around! I am still about 50# from my goal, but I am so much closer than any attempts of fad diets/logging that I've done in the past!

• Mrs_Goatess
    Mrs_Goatess Posts: 15 Member
    1. What's different about the diet you're using this time?

2. What are you doing differently this time to make sure you can stick to it long term?

There's a few differences between this time and my last venture two years ago. Mainly the weight I was back then during my first attempt is my current goal!

1. Same diet, actually. Fewer calories and that's it.

2. My reasons for wanting the loss are different now (I want to have a healthy weight when we begin trying to start a family next year) and my goals have massively changed (last round I wanted to go from 150 to 135; now I was 180 and aiming for 145). Obviously I'll be very happy if I don't stick around my goal weight very long. :)
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 335 Member
    I finally dropped all my bullsh*t excuses.
    Yes, I can make time to work out.
    Yes, I can find the energy to cook healthy food after a long day at work.
    No, I don't have to turn to food when I'm stressed, sad, angry, bored.
    No, having a full time job and 2 small children is not an excuse to continue to be unhealthy.
    And so on and so forth.

This! (Except I don't have 2 small children.) It is less about the food and exercise plan, and more about my mindset. I have a food and exercise plan, but that is just an assist. I keep repeating to myself: "This time, I'm going to be stronger, I'm not giving in." And, however long it takes is how long it will take. I'm a little over a year and a half into it, 76 pounds down, and I think it will take at least another year or so to get to goal. That's ok! I have the time!
  • mdboss10
    mdboss10 Posts: 15 Member
    I finally came to grips with the fact that I cannot handle having sweet, sugary treats around me. If they are in the house, I'm going to eat them. For a long time, I've told myself that I can make brownies and cookies and just have them every once in a while as a special treat. But in reality, I don't just eat one every few days. I eat 2, 3, or even 4 every single day. I can't restrain myself. So I've realized that I just can't have them around me on a regular basis. I also realized that the only way to stay within my calories and not feel starving and miserable is to truly change my diet. I need to be a on a plant-based diet so I can eat lots of nutritious food, but still be eating low calories and staying full.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I am counting calories and keeping track of my macros so I am in ketosis - vLCHF so I am eating fewer carbs. I don't find the calorie counting helpful because I feel like I should eat more on days I am hungry and less on days I felt the need to eat more. When not counting calories, it seemed simpler and I lost at about he same rate. This time I just keep an eye on calories now while I juggle macros.

2. What are you doing differently this time to make sure you can stick to it long term?
    I lot all my weight 5 years ago by eating foods that had no added sugar and were not highly processed, excluding a few foods like plain Greek yogurt. It was a diet though and as soon as I reintroduced flour and sugar into my diet my health and weight started to return.

This time I have health issues that have made me realize that this is not a diet. This is a WOL. I can't quit or my problems will return. The difference this time is that I know I have to stick to it or face poor health and possible future medication. It is quite a motivator.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    1. When it comes to eating and exercise I am focused on health not appearance. My limits or goals for foods are per Doctor's orders to help with emerging and existing health problems. Limited carbs, sodium, animal fat. Higher goals for fiber and lean protein.
    2. I have decided to choose life! If I want to live I need to eat the same way I am now and exercise as long and as best I can, for the rest of mortality.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    This time I looked in the mirror and felt I was truly letting myself go. I felt out of control. In the past, I tried to do the 1200 calorie thing. I also didn't log everything. It was willy-nilly. I didn't feel fully committed.

This time, I log everything. I'm consistent. (I have a 120 day streak going - waaaaay more than ever before.) I have a reasonable weekly weight loss goal (thanks MFP'ers for that one!) I exercise a lot so I can eat even more good stuff. And yes, I'm vain... I'll be 40 in a year and I want to look the best I ever have in a bikini. ;) Oh, and I also want to run a marathon when I turn 40, and I feel like losing a bit more weight will help with my running.
  • wiggawaggle
    wiggawaggle Posts: 50 Member
    cld111 wrote: »
    This time I looked in the mirror and felt I was truly letting myself go. I felt out of control. In the past, I tried to do the 1200 calorie thing. I also didn't log everything. It was willy-nilly. I didn't feel fully committed.

This time, I log everything. I'm consistent. (I have a 120 day streak going - waaaaay more than ever before.) I have a reasonable weekly weight loss goal (thanks MFP'ers for that one!) I exercise a lot so I can eat even more good stuff. And yes, I'm vain... I'll be 40 in a year and I want to look the best I ever have in a bikini. ;) Oh, and I also want to run a marathon when I turn 40, and I feel like losing a bit more weight will help with my running.

120 days is impressive! Well done
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    If you're here because you're restarting, have previously tried losing weight, but didn't quite work out and so now you're trying again... then i have two questions about how you are ensuring success this time :smile:

This time I am looking at it long term rather than just a temporary "diet". I am eating the foods I enjoy at a reasonable deficit, not going gung ho crazy trying to drop 1000 calories a day which always led to binges. I am content with losing .5 to 1 pound a week.

I bought a digital food scale and I weigh everything now which has been incredibly eye opening. I spend a lot of time on the community boards for motivation and support.

• KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    1. Not restricting any foods
    2. Knowing what my true maintenance/losing calories are... Understanding weekly calories.
    3. Finding exercise that is enjoyable and sustainable.
  • fortytillfabulous
    fortytillfabulous Posts: 3 Member
    I lost 35 lbs 2 years ago then got pregnant and gained all of it back plus some. After I had my daughter I didn't care too much about my weight then one day I decided enough is enough and remembered how good I felt being thin. For me it's all mental, when I want pizza I say "if you eat this you'll be hungry later anyway so you might as well eat something healthier". I think about the consequences of everything before I eat it. When I get food thought I quickly get busy doing something so I don't think about food.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    I lost about 45 lbs previous to starting nursing school. 1/4 of the way in, I made a decision to stop my focus on weight loss because it was way too stressful to do that and be a full-time nursing student, mother, employee. I gained the weight back very quickly - every pound of it in 10 months. After graduation I felt so bad that I let myself down, that I undid all of that hard work that I knew I was going to start it over. 14 months later and I'm down 68lb, and I've learned patience and that this is a lifestyle now. I should be just focused on maintaining weight loss during school, instead I went the complete opposite direction, but I made that choice, and now healthy eating, regular exercise is a priority in my life.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    ejb06070 wrote: »
    If I fail this time, I can basically kiss my dream of becoming a doctor "goodbye" since obese people are less than half as likely with those with the exact same stats to get accepted. On top of that, I'd be throwing away close to $40,000 that I used to get my Associate's and Bachelor's.

How would Admissions have a clue to your weight?