Stop the dieting madness!

Hey everyone! If there is one thing I have learned over the years is to never listen to the quick fix/detox/starvation diet promises out there. You did not put the weight on overnight you can not take it off overnight- or maybe you can, but you will gain it back- guaranteed- if you fall for all these crazy diets! If you want to be healthy and look healthy stop the madness and get daily exercise and eat clean. I am over 40, whacked hormones, former yo-yo dieting fanatic, and now I am healthy and happy in my own skin :) Hit me up if you want to talk.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Are you sure I don't need a daily shake or color-coded tupperware containers?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    And here I thought I was happy eating Chipotle and the occasional candy bar...I guess I'm really not happy in my own skin after all :(

Also, OP, in your opinion, what does one need to do to "eat clean"?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hear hear! <3B) Same here, over 50 though, with 15 years of yo-yo madness behind me. Seriously MFP is a tool to be used to just stop that madness!! lol
  • ltjohansen
    ltjohansen Posts: 1 Member
    I'm also a big believer in avoiding fad diets. As a dietitian, I see so many people who are on restrictive diets that ultimately don't work. I'm also a hormonally challenged over 50 lady and find balanced, healthy diets help keep the pesky menopause pounds at bay. Male or female, menopause or not, I encourage my clients and myself to eat healthy for life.
  • SAR1L
    SAR1L Posts: 51 Member
    edited July 2015
    Eat clean... according to the State of California, everything you eat, see, do, smell, and hear will kill you.

Now do I suggest a life of Burger King and other "junk" food? No. Just moderation.
    I can eat what I want, I just can't eat as much as I used to, and I don't want to.

I can eat half a fast food burger and an order of small fries, and be full.
    Where I used to clean my plate at a restaurant, which is generally what four
    servings of food!?

Just saying...

Eating clean is a noble ideal, I say eat responsibly, and eat normal, and your food habit won't be such an inconvenience to you, thus easier to maintain and stick with.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Eat clean? No thanks.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I don't eat clean and I'm healthy. Why does it usually come down to "eat clean"? Nobody knows what "clean eating" means, so why keep touting it as something that *has* to be done in order to be healthy/lose weight? You want to help people stop falling for fad diets and detoxes/cleanses? Stop shoving "clean eating" in people's faces. It's just as bad as 21 Day Fix or whatever the fake Tupperware diet is called.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    You can gain it all back (or never lose it to begin with) "eating clean," too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I eat pretty clean.

I don't drink overpriced shakes sold by people who refuse to divulge the ingredients. That's not food. That's not clean.
  • In simplest terms- eating less processed foods and more whole foods
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I don't trust anyone who isn't trying to sell me something.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    I eat lots of whole foods and lots of vegetables in particular, but if "eating clean" means cutting out all "processed" foods I don't see the point, as I find lots of processed foods helpful in putting together a nutritious, satisfying diet. For example, cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, smoked salmon, lean ground beef, steel cut oats, olive oil, dried whole wheat pasta, I could go on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    In simplest terms- eating less processed foods and more whole foods

But I like processing! Things like freezing, canning, and drying allow us to eat the foods we love year-round. Cooking makes more nutrients available to us and can do wonders for the taste. Why should I give up processed food? I'm in great health (my doctor agrees) and maintaining my goal weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Not required for weight loss at all.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited August 2015
    90% of the comments on these boards would be unnecessary if users started using "nutrient-dense, mostly whole-foods" instead of some variant of "clean foods." And I'm guessing the majority of people on either side of the discussion would be more or less ok with the resulting list of foods.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    90% of the comments on these board would be unnecessary if users started using "nutrient-dense, mostly whole-foods" instead of some variant of "clean foods." And I'm guessing the majority of people on either side of the discussion would be more or less ok with the resulting list of foods.

True...the argument is over terminology. Each side holding on for dear life to their words of preference.

Reminds of...

You like potato and I like potahto
    You like tomato and I like tomahto
    Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto.
    Let's call the whole thing off

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member

So you only eat raw foods??
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    90% of the comments on these boards would be unnecessary if users started using "nutrient-dense, mostly whole-foods" instead of some variant of "clean foods." And I'm guessing the majority of people on either side of the discussion would be more or less ok with the resulting list of foods.

Very true. While I still don't go along with the mostly whole-foods, that's a much better description than just 'clean eating'.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    90% of the comments on these board would be unnecessary if users started using "nutrient-dense, mostly whole-foods" instead of some variant of "clean foods." And I'm guessing the majority of people on either side of the discussion would be more or less ok with the resulting list of foods.

True...the argument is over terminology. Each side holding on for dear life to their words of preference.

Reminds of...

You like potato and I like potahto
    You like tomato and I like tomahto
    Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto.
    Let's call the whole thing off

Yeah, and I get it. Words matter. I have debates over semantics a lot. A shared vocabulary, especially over a vague term, is necessary.

And yet.

If someone starts off by talking about how they're eating clean....everyone knows how discussion is going to go down. Generally I find those types of discussions useful, but not here. It frequently just ends up becoming another way for people to say the same things over and over. It's a little crazy.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    On the more serious side...

Since the beginning of time mankind has taken words and given them new meaning. Each generation that comes along grabs hold of a word or phrase and uses it to describe what is relevant to them. Maybe "clean" will be next on the list.

Here is Huffington Post's 12 word list...if you google you will find more...

1) "Hook up,"
    "Hook up" used to mean getting some kind of device or service or appliance up and running, i.e. "hook up cable television." Today, it also means "hooking up" with someone to have sex or just "hooking up" with someone as in meeting up.

2) "Fantastic" meant "existing only in one's imagination" centuries ago. Today, it means something is really incredible.

3) "Bad,"
    "Bad" used to describe someone who'd done something wrong or something that was poor in quality. Today, it also means "good" or "great" when used as slang. (And "breaking bad" means to challenge conventions and defy authority.)

4) "Gay,"
    "Gay" used to mean merry or happy, i.e. "don we now our gay apparel." Today, it is usually associated with being homosexual as in "gay marriage."

5) "Sick... now is a good thing,"
    "Sick" used to mean ill. Today, it also means something is really amazing.

6) "Backlog" meant the biggest log in the fire during colonial times. Today, it means a reserve or a pile of work you still need to plow through.

7) "Rubbers used to be slip-on boots that covered shoes,"
    "Rubbers" also used to be erasers (and still mean erasers in Britain). Today, it's most often slang for condoms.

8) "Years ago, 'thongs' were another word for flip-flops. Nowadays, thongs are underwear!,"

9) "Tool" used to mean something you dug up the garden with. Today, it also means someone who's not intelligent enough to realize they are being used or taken advantage of.

10) "'Message me!' wouldn't have made sense a few years ago... like 'Letter me'?"

11) "Cell used to mean jail! Or a tiny part of your body..."
    Today, of course, it's also what you call your phone.

12) "Awful" used to mean something that inspired awe. Today, it means something is bad or that someone looks terrible. It also means exceedingly great as in "an awful lot of money."