Stop the dieting madness!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    There are many paths. Even fad diets work if you follow them and there are no "guarantees" of weight regain simply because you follow a fad diet. Many would call "clean eating" a fad diet. Statistics tell us that most of us will regain weight lose.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    90% of the comments on these boards would be unnecessary if users started using "nutrient-dense, mostly whole-foods" instead of some variant of "clean foods." And I'm guessing the majority of people on either side of the discussion would be more or less ok with the resulting list of foods.

Yep. That would be nice.

But beyond that, I think there are a couple of perhaps more significant differences that go beyond the terminology:

(1) as janejellyroll's post pointed out well, and what mine was intended to get at, is the idea that "processing" is something bad or negative in general, and therefore that it's always better to avoid it, is something I simply don't agree with. Living in the northern mid-western US, as I do, without processing (or other unnatural things, like carting in foods from Latin America) I wouldn't have very many options for fruit or veggies in the winter or early spring. Nor could I have many of the types of fish I enjoy including in my diet. I don't at all agree that my diet would be healthier (although it would be more limited) in the absence of processing.

(2) the idea of "clean" is that its better to ONLY eat nutrient-dense foods and that including any lower nutrient foods just for pleasure (or because it's Christmas or because grandma made it or because it's fun to try the new restaurant with the well-respected chef) is a failure and means that your diet isn't healthy (or not as healthy). I reject this idea. I think it's important to eat a healthy diet that focuses on nutrient-dense foods, but I see no reason why that means including some cherry pie on occasion is "unclean" or bad or makes my diet in general not healthy.

I am open to discussing either of these perceived differences with someone on the "clean" bandwagon. (And I don't think they are insignificant differences or, again, just about terminology.)
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    If clean eating does not include copious amounts of cookie butter, I'm out.

egab8x2l4ihf.jpg
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Oh lord here we go with the clean eating again.. you know what please tell me your food groceries/meals? What exactly do you eat that is clean?
    Do you assume that everyone in this forum is american and have access to the same food you have?
    Take me, I'm from a veryyyy poor/third world country and we don't have even close the rates of obesity the u.s have, so what a whole country is doing it wrong? or how about those who have never had a weight issue and are in health are they doing it wrong?

Do what works for you but stop saying to others that is what they have to do to achieve the same and be healthy
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    90% of the comments on these boards would be unnecessary if users started using "nutrient-dense, mostly whole-foods" instead of some variant of "clean foods." And I'm guessing the majority of people on either side of the discussion would be more or less ok with the resulting list of foods.

Yep. That would be nice.

But beyond that, I think there are a couple of perhaps more significant differences that go beyond the terminology:

(1) as janejellyroll's post pointed out well, and what mine was intended to get at, is the idea that "processing" is something bad or negative in general, and therefore that it's always better to avoid it, is something I simply don't agree with. Living in the northern mid-western US, as I do, without processing (or other unnatural things, like carting in foods from Latin America) I wouldn't have very many options for fruit or veggies in the winter or early spring. Nor could I have many of the types of fish I enjoy including in my diet. I don't at all agree that my diet would be healthier (although it would be more limited) in the absence of processing.

(2) the idea of "clean" is that its better to ONLY eat nutrient-dense foods and that including any lower nutrient foods just for pleasure (or because it's Christmas or because grandma made it or because it's fun to try the new restaurant with the well-respected chef) is a failure and means that your diet isn't healthy (or not as healthy). I reject this idea. I think it's important to eat a healthy diet that focuses on nutrient-dense foods, but I see no reason why that means including some cherry pie on occasion is "unclean" or bad or makes my diet in general not healthy.

I am open to discussing either of these perceived differences with someone on the "clean" bandwagon. (And I don't think they are insignificant differences or, again, just about terminology.)

I agree 100% that these conversations aren't mere semantics. OP is encouraging us to "stop the dieting madness." I think the idea that there are "clean" foods or that processing a food makes it bad is part of the "dieting madness." Once I let those ideas go, managing my weight became simple (and my emotional connection to food become much less complicated).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Hey everyone! If there is one thing I have learned over the years is to never listen to the quick fix/detox/starvation diet promises out there. You did not put the weight on overnight you can not take it off overnight- or maybe you can, but you will gain it back- guaranteed- if you fall for all these crazy diets! If you want to be healthy and look healthy stop the madness and get daily exercise and eat clean. I am over 40, whacked hormones, former yo-yo dieting fanatic, and now I am healthy and happy in my own skin :) Hit me up if you want to talk.

this is amusing..complaining about fad diets and then telling everyone to eat clean if you want to lose weight.

clean eating has nothing to do with weight loss.

• ndj1979
    In simplest terms- eating less processed foods and more whole foods

so whole wheat pasta is out because processed = bad then, right?

you can eat processed foods, lose weight, and be healthy.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    It's rather odd that things which are considered positive most anywhere else in the world, such as eating whole foods with lots of nutrition, are so frequently derided here even though it is what doctors recommend. There is some kind of mob mentality going on on this board and I feel that all these quibbles over terminology are disingenuous at best. OP, you're doing the right thing. Ignore the baiting posts that are designed to draw you into pointless arguments. I wonder if ppl realize that anywhere else, in cyberspace or real life, you have but to mention the MFP boards and everyone rolls their eyes and groans. And that includes the nutritionist's office.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    If I crush the tomatoes and eat them, am I eating clean? If someone else does it for me, am I eating clean?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It's rather odd that things which are considered positive most anywhere else in the world, such as eating whole foods with lots of nutrition, are so frequently derided here even though it is what doctors recommend. There is some kind of mob mentality going on on this board and I feel that all these quibbles over terminology are disingenuous at best. OP, you're doing the right thing. Ignore the baiting posts that are designed to draw you into pointless arguments. I wonder if ppl realize that anywhere else, in cyberspace or real life, you have but to mention the MFP boards and everyone rolls their eyes and groans. And that includes the nutritionist's office.

Oh, geez. Are we already at the point in the thread where we're going to start claiming that people are against eating whole foods or nutrient-dense foods?
  • ndj1979
    edited August 2015

OP said you have to eat clean to lose weight, which is not factual. You can lose weight just by reducing overall calories.

and LOL at the baiting comment when the last half of your post is doing what you are complaining about...
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    So to summerise ' Stop this dieting madness by following this diet' :p
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Semantics - Stop the Insanity - that was no fat diet fail. Seriously can we give people a break on the word choices. Let's choose to excuse ambiguous wording before we accuse posters of unproven or overstated suggestions for health and weight loss.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Semantics - Stop the Insanity - that was no fat diet fail. Seriously can we give people a break on the word choices. Let's choose to excuse ambiguous wording before we accuse posters of unproven or overstated suggestions for health and weight loss.

Even if you remove the phrase "clean eating" the OP is still incorrect.
  • lemurcat12
    It's rather odd that things which are considered positive most anywhere else in the world, such as eating whole foods with lots of nutrition, are so frequently derided

These things were not derided (I think probably all of us agree that eating a healthy diet is important, so I don't think it's polite to suggest that those of us who disagreed with OP are saying otherwise). I very carefully set out in my prior post what I think is being debated, so if you think I'm off-base on either of those points I'd love to understand your POV.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    With the screen name and the opening post, it appears that the OP is trying to advertise herself and her product without getting banned.
  • lemurcat12
    Seemed that way to me too.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    In simplest terms- eating less processed foods and more whole foods

Ironically, that is the *least* simple way to describe it.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    With the screen name and the opening post, it appears that the OP is trying to advertise herself and her product without getting banned.

I concur with that diagnosis.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    As of April of this year, the OP was with Kumu Wellness. Trying to recruit clients.