Calories vs calories

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited August 2015
    Food substances have many properties.

The calorie measurement is just one of them.

There are the nutrients, fiber content to leave you filled feeling, water content, minerals and electrolytes, the anti inflammatory index, cholesterol content, sodium, simple or complex carbs, on and on.

So this idea that for weight loss, only calories matter is still incomplete.

It all matters. Nobody wants to lose weight to the detriment of their health. Of course not.

A calorie is just one attribute of food. Learn more about food to better manage your own health. It is your life and the only body you are gonna get.

Saying a calorie is the only important thing about food is like saying the color is the only important thing in selecting a new car.

Learn about food and manage it as a tool to meet your personal goals.
    Who says that about food, though? Ever?

I mean, sure, you pummeled that strawman into submission, but why?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Food substances have many properties.

The calorie measurement is just one of them.

There are the nutrients, fiber content to leave you filled feeling, water content, minerals and electrolytes, the anti inflammatory index, cholesterol content, sodium, simple or complex carbs, on and on.

So this idea that for weight loss, only calories matter is still incomplete.

It all matters. Nobody wants to lose weight to the detriment of their health. Of course not.

A calorie is just one attribute of food. Learn more about food to better manage your own health. It is your life and the only body you are gonna get.

Saying a calorie is the only important thing about food is like saying the color is the only important thing in selecting a new car.

Learn about food and manage it as a tool to meet your personal goals.

Actually, for weight loss, yes only calories matter unless you have a medical condition. Of course, we all care about being healthy and macro and micro nutrients. There aren't any people saying that calories are the only thing about food that matters. They're just saying that's what matters for weight loss. The rest of it matters for health.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    a calorie is a measurement of energy
    just like 20 of feathers and 20 lb of bowling balls weighs the samed

now quantity wise, you get more feathers.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    You'll loose more weight faster if you ate healthy and nutritious food compared to eatting junk food.

See I lost more weight when I cut out carbs to when I just cut my calories. Everyone is different so what works for some doesn't for others.

Eat less and exercise = results.

You probably lost more weight low carbing because it cuts water weight and glycogen... it seems people are more fixated on weight instead of fat.

• Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    There have been plenty of times when I've stocked up my calories just so I could have a bacon cheese burger and fries or 4-5 slices of pizza. That's not to say that I eat like this the majority of time but it sure makes it a lot easier mentally to know that I can still enjoy food and not stall my weight loss.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    coralp123 wrote: »
    hey guys so iv been wondering...
    When calorie counting would it be exactly the same eating 300 calories worth of nuts for example as it would be for a 300 calorie burger or pizza?

It depends on what you're "counting" towards, what your activity level is like, what the rest of your diet is like, etc etc etc.

...surely if I used my 1200 calories on junk I'd gain weight not loose it?

If you could maintain eating 1200 calories/day of junk (which is doubtful) - yes, you would lose weight eating nothing but junk.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    You'll loose more weight faster if you ate healthy and nutritious food compared to eatting junk food.

See I lost more weight when I cut out carbs to when I just cut my calories. Everyone is different so what works for some doesn't for others.

Eat less and exercise = results.

That is the whole point of a low carb diet. That is not anything new. Carbs hold water weight. That is what you lost more of.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    In a nutshell:
    A calorie is a calorie. For CICO tracking, there is no "this is better than that".

Yes, there is, because choice of calories affects body composition and energy levels, which affect CO, which affect weight loss for any given CI.
  • Giolis
    Nobody's questioning the nutritional differences and benefits of calories. Everyone knows that 1200 calories of doughnuts don't provide the same nutrition or health benefits of 1200 calories of vegetables and lean meats.

But outside of nutrition a calorie is a calorie and you will loose the same amount of weight if you ate 1200 calories of "junk" food versus "healthy" food. You might be shortening your life span or creating health issues but you'd just as thin.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    I skipped the comments, sorry if I'm repeating. Most people don't just eat "junk food" all day and lose weight-simply because they would be too hungry as calorie dense food does not go very far in a deficit.

What you hear about is people eating to their calorie and micro goals. I, for example, eat lots of fruit, veggies, beans, yogurts etc and ALSO eat pizza or ice cream. I have to fit in my pizza-just like I have to fit in nuts or an apple. Is eating a diet that includes pizza as healthy as a diet that includes nuts? It sure can be.

Some days I've had so much fiber/protein that chocolate is actually a better choice for me than vegetables or a grain. I <3 those days
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    When calorie counting would it be exactly the same eating 300 calories worth of nuts for example as it would be for a 300 calorie burger or pizza? Iv seen people comment saying you can eat whatever you want in a day as long as your within your calorie goal but surely if I used my 1200 calories on junk I'd gain weight not loose it?
    Ps I have no intention of doing so this is mainly out of curiosity so I can get my facts straight x

I would think that oftentimes pizza would be a better choice nutritionally than nuts.
  • harryfrankham1
    harryfrankham1 Posts: 34 Member
    A calorie is not a just a calorie, for all the people out there who preach " iifiym " name me one pro bodybuilder who uses this approach? Your body will utilize what your eating totally differently depending on when its eaten
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    edited August 2015
    A calorie is a calorie. But how much work ur body has to do to convert those calories to energy the body can use is the difference
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2015
    A calorie is not a just a calorie, for all the people out there who preach " iifiym " name me one pro bodybuilder who uses this approach? Your body will utilize what your eating totally differently depending on when its eaten

Here you go. Not sure if they are pro as I am not a body builder.
    http://epicaesthetics.com/aesthetic-naturals-that-use-iifym-or-flexible-dieting/
  • rrrca
    rrrca Posts: 8 Member
    When calorie counting would it be exactly the same eating 300 calories worth of nuts for example as it would be for a 300 calorie burger or pizza? Iv seen people comment saying you can eat whatever you want in a day as long as your within your calorie goal but surely if I used my 1200 calories on junk I'd gain weight not loose it?
    Ps I have no intention of doing so this is mainly out of curiosity so I can get my facts straight x
    Yup, you have to keep in mind, a kilocalorie is merely a measurement of energy. Neither source's units of energy are more energetic than the other.

Now, for what your personal needs are, you might want to do better than 300 calories of nuts or pizza, but that's a different topic from what you are asking.

Simply put, a kilocalorie is a kilocalorie regardless of the source.
  • rrrca
    rrrca Posts: 8 Member

You do realize competing bbs are elites, and as such, follow a much different methodology than a mere mortal?

How precisely is a calorie not just a calorie? A calorie (kcal) is a unit of measurement. You just said basically a cm is not a cm. So, how does that work? In what case is a cm not a cm?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited August 2015

Are we arguing macros or meal timing? Just want to be clear before I respond :-)

ETA: http://epicaesthetics.com/aesthetic-naturals-that-use-iifym-or-flexible-dieting/

Seriously took me 15 seconds to find this. Not to mention my old coach used a macro approach to diet and is a pro (female) bodybuilder. So...
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member

Jay Cutler...

Lol.

• Giolis

Timing has the least effect on how your body utilizes what you eat. Especially, since most of the repair and growth is done while you sleep. If timing played that big of a role then everyone should be eating just one meal a day and right before you go to bed.